SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1251 Posts

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
I hear you on the "fun" car thing. I have a nearly new Miata Club with all of 1,600 miles on it that is hardly driven - really hard to justify keeping it when Carvana will give me probably more than what I paid for it last year, lol.
Sounds like we had the same impulse at the same time! What makes me chuckle is that I probably would have bought a Miata instead of the Bimmer if only I could fit. I tried to fold myself into a ND when they first came out and failed...miserably :LOL: I made my decision to sell for a bunch of reasons, and one of them was that the M240i felt too serious and buttoned down to be a real "toy." Superbly capable but weirdly isolated and numb. Lovely vehicle, but deciding every morning between a comfortable daily driver that I need to function (and have bonded to) and another that I own just for lulz started to wear on me. Talk about first world problems! IDK...it's all 100% subjective. I basically rented it from Carvana for a year at the cost of $2k plus the sales tax (which hurts more). Seeing it hauled off had me in a funk for a couple of hours but I'm at peace today. I'll probably do it all over again with something else at some point.

Sold my Alfa Romeo Giulia for the 3.2 V70, its nice having a toy but once you have wagons you realize how useless sport sedans are unless you have a second car to haul anything larger than a crate of milk. I was driving my beater 960 more than the Giulia and I realized the same thing, wasnt adding to my life and just sat in the garage all the time.

God did I miss P3 seats...
As a one car solution there's absolutely no question. Shortly after buying the XC70 5 years ago I started referring to it as "the most optimal car I have ever owned." And I still do. I have three old dogs that have to travel in crates so there's absolutely no question of selling it right now. Plus it's a genuinely relaxing and pleasant thing to pack miles onto. The only difference between us is that I drove the BMW regularly out of some weird sense of obligation, which just left me feeling guilty about letting the XC sit in the driveway. (Hence the 4-corner brake job! Rust.) I'm much happier reverting to type and driving my wagon.

My plan...probably unrealistic and silly...is to keep the XC in good enough condition that I can pass it on to my teenage step daughters as a safe and reliable first car, same way I got my old 745. It's all emotional nostalgic BS but I'd feel pretty good about moving on from it in that manner. Then I'm getting a Taycan Sport Turismo and they're on their own for college 🤣

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
Sounds like we had the same impulse at the same time! What makes me chuckle is that I probably would have bought a Miata instead of the Bimmer if only I could fit. I tried to fold myself into a ND when they first came out and failed...miserably :LOL: I
My fourth Miata over the past 15 years - NC1, NC2, ND1, and now this one.

It would make all the sense in the world to sell this thing but they're just so easy to own - relatively cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, uses very little gas, fun to drive, never breaks, etc.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
It would make all the sense in the world to sell this thing but they're just so easy to own - relatively cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, uses very little gas, fun to drive, never breaks, etc.
Sometimes easy, cheap, and fun trump sense! I did not have those things going for me with the Bimmer. I didn’t realize until after I owned it how unfriendly to DIY BMW is. And I reeeeally value being able to work on my own car. It’s doable but you’re entirely on your own WRT shop manuals and whatnot. (There are none.)

I may or may not have planted the seed with the Mrs. that the new BRZ/GR86 might be worth a look if and when market conditions stabilize. On paper the twins are closer to what I originally wanted…an enjoyable driving experience on east TN/western NC mountain roads.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
It took me the better part of 7 hours but I finally got the brakes sorted. Pads and rotors all around. The only significant hitch I ran into other than staying hydrated was rounding off one of those stupid screws that holds the rotor onto the hub. It was thoroughly seized and I clearly didn't get enough Blaster onto it. I ended up just drilling the damn thing out (very easy because very soft metal) so that I could continue. There's still a bit of remnant in there that I'll have to address with IDK what tool. Or just leave it. I don't think those screws do anything at all once the wheels are bolted up. 8 upstate NY winters followed by east TN humidity put a beating on all exposed, uncoated steel parts.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
I scheduled new tires for next week. When I bought the car as CPO it came with a fresh set of GY Eagle Sport A/S that I generally liked until they got down around 5/32. Recently (probably 40k mi on the set) I’ve discovered a steeeeeeep drop in wet weather cornering. Plus side, with the IPD sway bar she stays very neutral during an unexpected excursion to 11/10ths? Considered Cross Climate 2 but I can’t bring myself to pony up the Michelin bucks that I was quoted. Instead I’m going with Conti DWS 06+ since I really liked those on the Bimmer (despite that being a very different car) and I can get it done for under a grand including alignment.

Secret time: I’m praying to the elastomer gods that new tires address my intermittent vibration issue. There’s something funky going on in the rear but I can’t pin it down because it comes and goes. I’m only holding out hope because it felt like it was a front end thing before I did a rotation. Wheels were balanced last fall so maybe a genuine tire issue? Stay tuned.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I scheduled new tires for next week. When I bought the car as CPO it came with a fresh set of GY Eagle Sport A/S that I generally liked until they got down around 5/32. Recently (probably 40k mi on the set) I’ve discovered a steeeeeeep drop in wet weather cornering. Plus side, with the IPD sway bar she stays very neutral during an unexpected excursion to 11/10ths? Considered Cross Climate 2 but I can’t bring myself to pony up the Michelin bucks that I was quoted. Instead I’m going with Conti DWS 06+ since I really liked those on the Bimmer (despite that being a very different car) and I can get it done for under a grand including alignment.

Secret time: I’m praying to the elastomer gods that new tires address my intermittent vibration issue. There’s something funky going on in the rear but I can’t pin it down because it comes and goes. I’m only holding out hope because it felt like it was a front end thing before I did a rotation. Wheels were balanced last fall so maybe a genuine tire issue? Stay tuned.
If you hate getting vibrations stay far away from newer Contis, Michelin or bust. I worked in a Volvo shop up until very recently and every set of Contis we got were junk. They have really fallen off quality wise. Coopers were by far the worst though, with Pirelli and Goodyear not far behind.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
Weird. Are we talking “OEM replacement” tires or those geared squarely at the aftermarket? I’ve put several thousand miles on this exact tire (though different size) and they were great. We have a different flavor of Conti (Crosscontact I think) on the Cayenne and I haven’t had any complaints about those either.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Weird. Are we talking “OEM replacement” tires or those geared squarely at the aftermarket? I’ve put several thousand miles on this exact tire (though different size) and they were great. We have a different flavor of Conti (Crosscontact I think) on the Cayenne and I haven’t had any complaints about those either.
"Aftermarket" as in the stuff we would get directly from major B2B tire distributors. Surprisingly I never had an issue with my Sailun tires either, straight from Vietnam for $50 a pop and rode great on my 960 lol. The Pirellis I took off my V70 were only from 2018 and were more octagon shaped than round.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
Well, I stand informed. After reading your warning I dove down the rabbit hole of vibration issues with newer Volvos that seem to be tire related most of the time. You’d think the big players in the industry would have figured out how to make tires that start round and stay that way. Guess not.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well, I stand informed. After reading your warning I dove down the rabbit hole of vibration issues with newer Volvos that seem to be tire related most of the time. You’d think the big players in the industry would have figured out how to make tires that start round and stay that way. Guess not.
I never had an issue with Michelins, and shoutout to their sub-brand Uniroyal they are decent mid grade tires.

We also had a few european fellows who would buy their own Vredesteins, they are still new to the US market but seem to be very well regarded.

Reactions: halfast3

·
Registered
899 Posts
Additionally, Michelin Cross Climates are consistently at or near the top of many reviews and have the advantage of being truly 4 season with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
These particular Contis are consistently at the top of their category as well (albeit a different performance category). I’m not claiming the criticism is wrong, I’m just expressing surprise.

I have indeed heard some buzz about Vredestein lately. Also didn’t realize that Uniroyal was a Michelin brand.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Finally got the mudflaps and eyelids back from the painter, just need the lip and I will have all the aero kit parts from VPARTS installed

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
I’ve been rolling in the new Conti tires for a couple of weeks including a ~700mi work trip and I’m pretty happy with them. It’s really nice having round tires again. My only complaint is that they whine a bit on the highway but I can’t say it’s all that objectionable. I’ll take it in exchange for confident wet and dry lateral grip.

I did an oil change this morning at about 104k. The car appears to have quit burning oil since I replaced the PCV box in December so I’m pretty stoked about that. It looks like the steering rack is weeping a bit, though. I’ll have to keep an eye on that. For now I can see it but it’s not enough to make anything wet to the touch.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
Received clear title 🎉. I was in a weird place in my life when I bought my XC70 5 years ago. Recently divorced, suddenly sole caretaker of 3 rescue dogs that were NOT going to fit in the leased S60 that I had at the time. Total mess. Cheap CPO financing and a really outstanding dealer who worked an early turn-in program that I didn’t even know about (Capital Volvo, Albany) were a godsend. Fast forward to all 4 of us going grey and getting a touch arthritic but living well.

I have a weird tendency to mark the years of my life based on what I was driving at the time. The XC70 years have been the best to date. That’s probably why I’m willing to spend so much damn money and time maintaining it 😂 A car is just a machine, but it’s strangely meaningful to have the paperwork from VCFS.

Reactions: CrossingCountries

·
Registered
119 Posts
Been a while but several updates since my last post:
-paid it off! Title on the way
-birthday present: Polestar optimization complete! With a P3 blue badge. Got it done at Byers Volvo in Columbus for $595 after a $300 discount. Major score!
- also added remote start as well while at the dealership

Very much still enjoying it. Before it was solid daily driver, now it's a solid and pretty quick daily!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,237 ·
-birthday present: Polestar optimization complete! With a P3 blue badge. Got it done at Byers Volvo in Columbus for $595 after a $300 discount. Major score!

Very much still enjoying it. Before it was solid daily driver, now it's a solid and pretty quick daily!

This badge picture: do you have the 2014- led lights installed?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,240 ·

The 2022 Polestar badge would have been nice also. Would have matched the car but blue is nice also!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

1221 - 1240 of 1251 Posts