SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1251 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I was trying to upgrade my reverse lights to brighter LED on my 2011 T6, and did what it seems many have done and accidentally snapped the little tab. Aaaaargh! It does seem like it’s not needed but I was very annoyed at myself so I took a walk.

Then i discovered i had the wrong reverse light bulb, which only happened after jiggering with the bulb for nearly 2 hours and having it explode in my face (and all over the kitchen). I have no idea what the gas was that came out if it but let’s hope it’s ok…!! Then I finally found the right bulb on eBay and now I have to wait for it to arrive from California (I’m in NC).

So a 2 hour fix turned into a multi-day experience that I wasn’t expecting, but still love the car!

Now I’m getting a few things to turn it into a mild overlander with a 20mm lift, new Bilstein B4 shocks, IPD rear sway bar and new engine tray bushings. I have all the parts, just need the time…!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well I was trying to upgrade my reverse lights to brighter LED on my 2011 T6, and did what it seems many have done and accidentally snapped the little tab. Aaaaargh! It does seem like it’s not needed but I was very annoyed at myself so I took a walk.

Then i discovered i had the wrong reverse light bulb, which only happened after jiggering with the bulb for nearly 2 hours and having it explode in my face (and all over the kitchen). I have no idea what the gas was that came out if it but let’s hope it’s ok…!! Then I finally found the right bulb on eBay and now I have to wait for it to arrive from California (I’m in NC).

So a 2 hour fix turned into a multi-day experience that I wasn’t expecting, but still love the car!

Now I’m getting a few things to turn it into a mild overlander with a 20mm lift, new Bilstein B4 shocks, IPD rear sway bar and new engine tray bushings. I have all the parts, just need the time…!!
What is the bulb type for the reverse lamps? I want to go LED for mine like I did for my 960, really helps nighttime visibility

Reactions: halfast3

·
Registered
523 Posts
PS - I haven’t tested them yet because they haven’t arrived yet. In theory should arrive today or tomorrow so I can install.
Ill have to give them an order, i was hoping it was just a standard bulb not a special socket type but at least the prices are fair. Looking into the process of accessing the bulbs though....not fun. I am always so afraid to take interior parts off after years of working on older customer cars, Volvo plastic and this southern sun leads to inevitable cracked plastic clips.

·
Registered
899 Posts
PS - I haven’t tested them yet because they haven’t arrived yet. In theory should arrive today or tomorrow so I can install.
Thanks for the info. A side-by-side photo with one old and one new installed would be appreciated.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Did some more LEDs on the interior, also did a little mod, lets see how long it takes for someone to question it 😂
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: Wayne T5

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info. A side-by-side photo with one old and one new installed would be appreciated.
Here you go - before (left side) and after (right side).
And yes, the plastic clips are very fragile after 7 years of the southern sun and 4 years of northern climates.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Did some more LEDs on the interior, also did a little mod, lets see how long it takes for someone to question it 😂
Double post. Sorry!

Nice wing! Does the right side emblem say 'V8'?

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
I’m about to drop mine off to have tint installed. Going with a high IR rejecting ceramic to tame the sun a bit. (Also think it’ll look nice…shooting for 35% all around). I also ordered brakes from FCP so that I can finally address the wonky disc wear on all four corners. Think I’ll pick a day when it’s NOT approaching 100F to tackle that job. The plan is to start parking it inside again to cut down on rust accumulation, which I think is the root cause.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
Tint done! This is Kavaca IR at 35%. Wasn’t cheap so I hope it works! The lighting is crappy to show it off right now but I’m stoked with how it turned out. And I have never been a tint guy. Also, I love the installer’s reaction. “You know, it’s weird…this is actually a really nice car!” Who knew? 😂
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Automotive side marker light Plant Wheel Vehicle Tire

Reactions: Bunnspeed

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hood Automotive lighting Gesture Automotive mirror Motor vehicle

Gotta love when a listing has the wrong fitments listed, wasted a month waiting for my convex mirrors to come in...

Got my LED puddle lamps installed though. Just need to do the reverse lamps and the glove box and it will be fully LED converted everywhere.

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

My package from VPARTS finally arrived stateside, first thing installed is this R-Design addon trim piece.

I got this plus some eyelids which I need to get painted.

I also made a video on how I installed the piece without any drilling:

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
882 Posts
I finally did the AOC and angle gear fluid yesterday. Need to grab another liter of the appropriate oil to do the rear diff itself and then I can declare all fluids to be reasonably refreshed. I’m planning to do brakes on all four corners next weekend. (Not looking forward to that one.)

I sold my “toy” BMW yesterday so the XC70 is going back to full-time daily duties. (And she gets her garage space back.) I don’t in any way feel like that’s a punishment. As much as I enjoyed the power and rowing my own, the 2 series just wasn’t adding enough to my my life to justify it.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
I finally did the AOC and angle gear fluid yesterday. Need to grab another liter of the appropriate oil to do the rear diff itself and then I can declare all fluids to be reasonably refreshed. I’m planning to do brakes on all four corners next weekend. (Not looking forward to that one.)

I sold my “toy” BMW yesterday so the XC70 is going back to full-time daily duties. (And she gets her garage space back.) I don’t in any way feel like that’s a punishment. As much as I enjoyed the power and rowing my own, the 2 series just wasn’t adding enough to my my life to justify it.
Brakes shouldn't be too bad - just take your time and double check everything.

I hear you on the "fun" car thing. I have a nearly new Miata Club with all of 1,600 miles on it that is hardly driven - really hard to justify keeping it when Carvana will give me probably more than what I paid for it last year, lol.

·
Registered
523 Posts

Sold my Alfa Romeo Giulia for the 3.2 V70, its nice having a toy but once you have wagons you realize how useless sport sedans are unless you have a second car to haul anything larger than a crate of milk. I was driving my beater 960 more than the Giulia and I realized the same thing, wasnt adding to my life and just sat in the garage all the time.

God did I miss P3 seats...

1201 - 1220 of 1251 Posts