SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1141 - 1160 of 1196 Posts

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD, ‘17 BMW M240i
820 Posts
I am going to be doing my first DIY oil change on it here in a week or so, wondering if I need to do anything similar for the transmission or not worry about it....
Depends on who you ask. Volvo claims it’s a “lifetime” fluid but plenty of people (myself included) don’t buy that. I finally did a full replacement around 98k. Some believe that with higher mileage cars it’s safer (less likely to loosen up enough crud at once to get stuck in a fluid path) to do a series of drain-and-fills a few hundreds or thousands of miles apart. Absent official guidance it’s really up to you. Either way you need access to VIDA/dice in order to get the temperature reading that you need to properly set fluid level at the end.

Engine oil in these is no big deal. It’s easier to access the filter if you pull the passenger headlight and then tuck the power steering reservoir where the light was. Otherwise there isn’t quite enough room to get the filter cap out of the engine bay.

Has the serpentine belt service been done on yours? That’s due at 150k mi.

·
Registered
15,464 Posts
Many generic scanners will read ATF temp but they won't be able to reset the fluid counter like VIDA if that's important to you.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,145 ·
️Ordered this today

Sick and tired of this ridiculous VOLVO oem rubber cargo floor protector: it doesn’t fit properly and it shifts constantly. I will keep it as a backup:

Ordered the pre-shaped (molded) protection cover since I hardly pull the backseats forward in order to haul cargo. Should be a huge improvement.

️ XC70 D5 AWD Polestar and more…

·
Registered
204 Posts
️Ordered this today

Sick and tired of this ridiculous VOLVO oem rubber cargo floor protector: it doesn’t fit properly and it shifts constantly. I will keep it as a backup:

Ordered the pre-shaped (molded) protection cover since I hardly pull the backseats forward in order to haul cargo. Should be a huge improvement.

Nice. I have the weathertech one which fits well but is rather flimsy. Now I know why IPD had it on sale. I may try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
So here’s my qualm with that big OEM cargo liner…. Doesn’t it make it impractical when you have the seats folded down and want to put a long item in? The entire reason I have my XC70 as opposed to a sedan or something is so I can fit LONG items like XC skis with ease. even a bike would need to have the seats down. If you put a big heavy piece of furniture on top of that thing it would destroy it.

That’s why I went with the WeatherTech - because it has only a small lip up front and functions fine with them up or down.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,151 · (Edited)
So here’s my qualm with that big OEM cargo liner…. Doesn’t it make it impractical when you have the seats folded down and want to put a long item in? The entire reason I have my XC70 as opposed to a sedan or something is so I can fit LONG items like XC skis with ease. even a bike would need to have the seats down. If you put a big heavy piece of furniture on top of that thing it would destroy it.

That’s why I went with the WeatherTech - because it has only a small lip up front and functions fine with them up or down.
I just push it forward to the back of the front seats…

Ofcourse I knew that since day 1. I have both covers. Also the foldable one ofc. And bikes and other long stuff I never carry. Remember, my car is a showboat NOT a workhorse lol

·
Registered
158 Posts

I'd also be a little concerned it doesn't seem to "wrap" around the latch opening. I'm surprised it doesn't cover the whole carpet, near where the tailgate closes.

·
Registered
15,464 Posts
I'd also be a little concerned it doesn't seem to "wrap" around the latch opening. I'm surprised it doesn't cover the whole carpet, near where the tailgate closes.
Problem with that is that the hatch closes tight to that exposed area of carpeting. I have another brand mat that does exactly as you've indicated and it's created a bit of an indentation on the hatch.

Reactions: CrossingCountries

·
Registered
204 Posts

I see that and it is a problem. Since my XC70 serves as both luxury sedan and tradesman van, that won’t work. I’ll keep the weathertech and stop complaining.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Replaced my front struts again…got to use FCP’s lifetime replacement warranty. Still not sure how the can afford to give me a brand new pair of Bilstein struts after seven years and 90k miles of use but not complaining.

Mileage is almost exactly what it was when I replaced them last time. Thought I might get more out of these but I think that the front suspension is a bit under designed on this car, maybe too heavy for the relatively lightweight suspension set-up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD, ‘17 BMW M240i
820 Posts
I love it when problems turn out to be simple. I've been hearing an engine-related rattle for about the last month. It sounded kinda like a loose heat shield except not as tinny, and it seemed to be coming from behind the instrument cluster. It was baffling because I didn't hear anything at all when I opened the hood. I had convinced myself that it was engine mounts going bad because it got louder under load.

This morning I finally got under the car to inspect. Mounts are actually looking pretty good...no visible cracks, and the engine doesn't move a bit when lifted so I think the pads are fine. Bad news for fixing the rattle, though. Until I figured it out! After poking around under the hood I eventually looked down and found the issue directly under my nose. The damn airbox wasn't properly seated! I must have been careless when I re-installed it after doing all of the accessory bits. So dumb, but so satisfying to get rid of the noise without having to invest another full day under the car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I love it when problems turn out to be simple. I've been hearing an engine-related rattle for about the last month. It sounded kinda like a loose heat shield except not as tinny, and it seemed to be coming from behind the instrument cluster. It was baffling because I didn't hear anything at all when I opened the hood. I had convinced myself that it was engine mounts going bad because it got louder under load.

This morning I finally got under the car to inspect. Mounts are actually looking pretty good...no visible cracks, and the engine doesn't move a bit when lifted so I think the pads are fine. Bad news for fixing the rattle, though. Until I figured it out! After poking around under the hood I eventually looked down and found the issue directly under my nose. The damn airbox wasn't properly seated! I must have been careless when I re-installed it after doing all of the accessory bits. So dumb, but so satisfying to get rid of the noise without having to invest another full day under the car.
I hate rattles. One of the things I’ve liked about our Volvos has been few rattles (even is old age), and I’ve been able to locate and fix all of them. So far…

1141 - 1160 of 1196 Posts