SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 1216 Posts

·
Registered
15,620 Posts
Polestar optimization scheduled for November 15th! MAG Volvo in Dublin quoted me $995 install, which included the $300 off. With the rebate we're looking at $795, not too bad!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Please let us know your impressions once you get it installed. The $300 off offer has been extended until 12/31. I am debating this upgrade just for the simplicity of it or going with the ipd tune for a little more money but a lot more oomph if their numbers are accurate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

in anticipation of ski season I snagged this old school Thule Adventurer box on Craigslist for under $100 USD- came with a free sticker collection to boot.

Otherwise it’s in immaculate shape for its age and feels sturdier than some of the more modern (double sided opening) ones I’ve seen that are a pain in the a$$ to close properly. I have to position it fairly far forward for the rear hatch to open fully but I only anticipate using it a couple months out of the year and maybe for some longer trips in the summer if I ever get to doing some.

Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire

Watercraft Vehicle Automotive tire Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
15,620 Posts
Changed the plugs today - OEM set delivered from FCP the other day. Current set has 50k miles on them and I can hear an occasional stumble at idle.

Surprised to find the PO used Autolite plugs on the car - first time I've ever heard of them being used on a Volvo, lol.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
825 Posts
My car is a little shy of 100k mi so I’ve decided to go through all of the fluids and a bunch of wear items (belt, pulleys, vac pump reseal, whatever else I find). Did a brake flush yesterday, and the fluid that came out didn’t look bad at all. I did get a few small bubbles from the front left which may explain why it was pulling just a tiny but. Stops straight now! I did a 12qt trans fluid exchange today. I haven’t had any issues with this box and I’d like to keep it that way. The fluid came out dirty but not burned or anything. Reset the fluid counter and shifts were super smooth on the test drive.

Only new issue is it’ll need a battery. I discovered piles of white crust in the battery box and one cell way low on electrolyte. I topped it up with distilled water but I’m sure it’s on its way out. More to come as soon as fedex brings me everything else I ordered from fcpeuro.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Installed the snows/steelies: new 215/65-16 R3 SUV Hakkas. Sprayed Krown Rust product and FluidFilm around when I had the wheels off. Vacuumed some mouse turds out from under the coil cover. And had it Krown rust checked. It’s ready for winter now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Did wagon things
Wheel Tire Car Sky Plant

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
825 Posts
I continued my 100k mi early maintenance extravaganza yesterday and today. So far I've done the thermostat, upper rad hose, water pump, and idler pulley. Also re-sealed the brake booster vacuum pump since I've started noticing an oil film around it (though no pooling yet). The new serpentine belt and tensioner are ready to go as soon as it's time. Delay is because I'm a dumbass and neglected to order the special tool for removing and reinstalling the decoupler pulley ("while I'm in there") so I'll have to hope I don't need the wagon for anything before it arrives. I fiddled with it for a little while and stopped because I'm afraid of accidentally damaging the READ by applying torque in a manner not intended.

For the thermostat I decided to pull the intake manifold rather than try to work around it. I found a HUGE buildup of oil film in the intake ports, especially at the back two cylinders. Guess I'll try to clean that up before I put the whole thing back together, and then try to figure out why that's happening. Could just be 100,000 mi and 7 years worth PCV throughput, but I should probably test the PCV system as soon as it's running again. I may take pics and start a thread on that if I don't find anything in the forums.

Reactions: ffejeroni

·
Registered
15,620 Posts
Love those wheels.

Reactions: BenT

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
825 Posts
Sitrep: I've put about 350mi on the car since I pushed pause on the 100k preventive maintenance extravaganza. Only thing left on my punch list is angle gear and diff fluid, and I'll hit both of those after the holidays when things settle down a bit. In addition to the PCV box and a much needed wheel rebalance, the battery failed in sudden and spectacular fashion last Friday. Its last slow crank was just enough to turn the engine over after work and get me to AutoZone for a quick replacement. To be fair I knew it was on its way out but I made the mistake of trusting an AutoZone load test the previous weekend. It had clearly been boiling acid in one cell and I imagine topping it up with distilled water didn't help anything at all.

2,000+mi road trip will be happening over Christmas. Kinda looking forward to it thanks to the way this car chews through highway miles. But if you'll excuse me I need to go find wood to knock on. Maybe have a quick chat with Odin just to make sure we're still cool.

Reactions: Bunnspeed

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
825 Posts
Road trip complete! 🎉 Arrived back in TN yesterday evening after about 1900 miles round-trip. It was fantastic to see my family for the first time in 2 years, although one of my siblings wasn't able to join due to what we can only assume to be the rona. (Can't confirm because good luck scheduling a test or finding a rapid kit in the Boston area.) Fortunately symptoms are NBD and already receding, just unfortunately timed. I imagine the same thing happened to a huge number of others this year.

I brought a small stash of tools and fluids that I didn't end up needing. I added a half quart of oil before heading back because it looked like it had used a bit. But I think that was just because the car was parked at a wonky angle. Now that it's back in its usual parking spot the dip stick is telling me that the add was totally unnecessary. (I usually keep it near the middle of the range, now it's near the top.) That's good news after the PCV job. My only nit to pick over the entire trip was a bit of a thud on down-shift when going to overtake at speed. Feels very much like torque mounts are in my future. Fuel economy was a very reasonable 26-ish mpg.

The XC was the right car for this. I would have expected to feel broken after that much seat time, especially since I was in my 20s last time I regularly made trips of this length. Not so. Even the dog had a good time.
Motor vehicle Cat Vertebrate Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,837 Posts
Even the dog had a good time.
View attachment 142501
Just an FYI... The hooks you used to anchor the tie down are not meant to handle very much stress. A suggestion... if you need a high-up tie down, take the bolt out of the hook receptacle and replace it with this (Stainless Steel 316 M6 Eye Bolt 6mm x 60mm). I have them in my XC70 to secure a dog cage and have not had any issues in two years.

Nickel Circle Metal Electric blue Jewellery

Reactions: zircular

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
825 Posts
Nice solution. I might do that next time. I would have used the rail system but the geometry doesn’t work well with a single crate off center. The hard points I used worked well enough but I didn’t expect much out of them beyond basic stability.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,137 ·
In the last 15 days we purchased this 2012 T6 Premier Plus, did some quick maintenance (plugs, air filter, cabin filter, rear brakes) turned it into a "camper" and took it on a 2,000 mile road trip through the Shenandoah Valley and Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia into North Carolina and to the shore, back up north via Annapolis, MD. You can follow her adventures here on Instagram (custom plate to match Instagram handle is on the way)

View attachment 131386
View attachment 131387 View attachment 131388
View attachment 131389
View attachment 131390
View attachment 131391

On a boat! (NC DOT Ferry)
View attachment 131392

USNA across the Severn River. Annapolis, MD.
View attachment 131394

Nightfall at our final camp site at the Navy Getaways Campground in Annapolis.
View attachment 131405

Home sweet home, she did great, we really enjoyed the car and the trip!
View attachment 131396

Plans are for a lift, some bigger / AT tires, an awning of some sort (we were fortunate it did not rain while we were camping) + ?? ....stay tuned.
Saw you on Instagram today...nice ride!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My only nit to pick over the entire trip was a bit of a thud on down-shift when going to overtake at speed. Feels very much like torque mounts are in my future. Fuel economy was a very reasonable 26-ish mpg.
Ever since I upgraded my lower torque mount to IPD this issue has been significantly improved or nonexistent. The shifting "thud" between auto gear changes that is.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
825 Posts
Ever since I upgraded my lower torque mount to IPD this issue has been significantly improved or nonexistent. The shifting "thud" between auto gear changes that is.
I’ve considered that. I have poly inserts in the upper torque mount so I’m assuming, pending inspection, that the lower mount is what’s going. The only thing that gives me pause is that it seems like overkill for a 3.2 car. Maybe worth it anyway since I’m so finicky about shift quality? IDK. I’ll get under there for a look whenever I have a weekend with decent weather.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve considered that. I have poly inserts in the upper torque mount so I’m assuming, pending inspection, that the lower mount is what’s going. The only thing that gives me pause is that it seems like overkill for a 3.2 car. Maybe worth it anyway since I’m so finicky about shift quality? IDK. I’ll get under there for a look whenever I have a weekend with decent weather.
We have very similar cars, mine is a 2013 3.2 awd also in flamenco red. Since I bought it with high miles I had a little extra money left over for the upgrades of key parts and now I'm pretty happy with everything other than the lack of backup camera.

I am going to be doing my first DIY oil change on it here in a week or so, wondering if I need to do anything similar for the transmission or not worry about it....

1121 - 1140 of 1216 Posts