SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
I did rear brake pads & rotors this morning. After ~34k they were completely toast. I had been procrastinating because it took me a full weekend when I last did this job on the V70 (at least 5 years ago). 90% of that time was spent struggling to free the incredibly stuck bracket bolts. This time I decided to heat the brackets with a propane torch in hopes that a little bit of thermal expansion would free them. It worked! It didn't take much heat, and I protected the hub sensors with one of those flame retardant blankets that I normally use to avoid setting my house on fire when sweating copper fittings. I retracted the EPBs at 8AM and had the car on the road for a test drive a 11:15. So satisfying.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
My car is a little shy of 100k mi so I’ve decided to go through all of the fluids and a bunch of wear items (belt, pulleys, vac pump reseal, whatever else I find). Did a brake flush yesterday, and the fluid that came out didn’t look bad at all. I did get a few small bubbles from the front left which may explain why it was pulling just a tiny but. Stops straight now! I did a 12qt trans fluid exchange today. I haven’t had any issues with this box and I’d like to keep it that way. The fluid came out dirty but not burned or anything. Reset the fluid counter and shifts were super smooth on the test drive.

Only new issue is it’ll need a battery. I discovered piles of white crust in the battery box and one cell way low on electrolyte. I topped it up with distilled water but I’m sure it’s on its way out. More to come as soon as fedex brings me everything else I ordered from fcpeuro.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
I continued my 100k mi early maintenance extravaganza yesterday and today. So far I've done the thermostat, upper rad hose, water pump, and idler pulley. Also re-sealed the brake booster vacuum pump since I've started noticing an oil film around it (though no pooling yet). The new serpentine belt and tensioner are ready to go as soon as it's time. Delay is because I'm a dumbass and neglected to order the special tool for removing and reinstalling the decoupler pulley ("while I'm in there") so I'll have to hope I don't need the wagon for anything before it arrives. I fiddled with it for a little while and stopped because I'm afraid of accidentally damaging the READ by applying torque in a manner not intended.

For the thermostat I decided to pull the intake manifold rather than try to work around it. I found a HUGE buildup of oil film in the intake ports, especially at the back two cylinders. Guess I'll try to clean that up before I put the whole thing back together, and then try to figure out why that's happening. Could just be 100,000 mi and 7 years worth PCV throughput, but I should probably test the PCV system as soon as it's running again. I may take pics and start a thread on that if I don't find anything in the forums.

Reactions: ffejeroni

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
Sitrep: I've put about 350mi on the car since I pushed pause on the 100k preventive maintenance extravaganza. Only thing left on my punch list is angle gear and diff fluid, and I'll hit both of those after the holidays when things settle down a bit. In addition to the PCV box and a much needed wheel rebalance, the battery failed in sudden and spectacular fashion last Friday. Its last slow crank was just enough to turn the engine over after work and get me to AutoZone for a quick replacement. To be fair I knew it was on its way out but I made the mistake of trusting an AutoZone load test the previous weekend. It had clearly been boiling acid in one cell and I imagine topping it up with distilled water didn't help anything at all.

2,000+mi road trip will be happening over Christmas. Kinda looking forward to it thanks to the way this car chews through highway miles. But if you'll excuse me I need to go find wood to knock on. Maybe have a quick chat with Odin just to make sure we're still cool.

Reactions: Bunnspeed

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
Road trip complete! 🎉 Arrived back in TN yesterday evening after about 1900 miles round-trip. It was fantastic to see my family for the first time in 2 years, although one of my siblings wasn't able to join due to what we can only assume to be the rona. (Can't confirm because good luck scheduling a test or finding a rapid kit in the Boston area.) Fortunately symptoms are NBD and already receding, just unfortunately timed. I imagine the same thing happened to a huge number of others this year.

I brought a small stash of tools and fluids that I didn't end up needing. I added a half quart of oil before heading back because it looked like it had used a bit. But I think that was just because the car was parked at a wonky angle. Now that it's back in its usual parking spot the dip stick is telling me that the add was totally unnecessary. (I usually keep it near the middle of the range, now it's near the top.) That's good news after the PCV job. My only nit to pick over the entire trip was a bit of a thud on down-shift when going to overtake at speed. Feels very much like torque mounts are in my future. Fuel economy was a very reasonable 26-ish mpg.

The XC was the right car for this. I would have expected to feel broken after that much seat time, especially since I was in my 20s last time I regularly made trips of this length. Not so. Even the dog had a good time.
Motor vehicle Cat Vertebrate Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
Nice solution. I might do that next time. I would have used the rail system but the geometry doesn’t work well with a single crate off center. The hard points I used worked well enough but I didn’t expect much out of them beyond basic stability.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
Ever since I upgraded my lower torque mount to IPD this issue has been significantly improved or nonexistent. The shifting "thud" between auto gear changes that is.
I’ve considered that. I have poly inserts in the upper torque mount so I’m assuming, pending inspection, that the lower mount is what’s going. The only thing that gives me pause is that it seems like overkill for a 3.2 car. Maybe worth it anyway since I’m so finicky about shift quality? IDK. I’ll get under there for a look whenever I have a weekend with decent weather.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
I am going to be doing my first DIY oil change on it here in a week or so, wondering if I need to do anything similar for the transmission or not worry about it....
Depends on who you ask. Volvo claims it’s a “lifetime” fluid but plenty of people (myself included) don’t buy that. I finally did a full replacement around 98k. Some believe that with higher mileage cars it’s safer (less likely to loosen up enough crud at once to get stuck in a fluid path) to do a series of drain-and-fills a few hundreds or thousands of miles apart. Absent official guidance it’s really up to you. Either way you need access to VIDA/dice in order to get the temperature reading that you need to properly set fluid level at the end.

Engine oil in these is no big deal. It’s easier to access the filter if you pull the passenger headlight and then tuck the power steering reservoir where the light was. Otherwise there isn’t quite enough room to get the filter cap out of the engine bay.

Has the serpentine belt service been done on yours? That’s due at 150k mi.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
I love it when problems turn out to be simple. I've been hearing an engine-related rattle for about the last month. It sounded kinda like a loose heat shield except not as tinny, and it seemed to be coming from behind the instrument cluster. It was baffling because I didn't hear anything at all when I opened the hood. I had convinced myself that it was engine mounts going bad because it got louder under load.

This morning I finally got under the car to inspect. Mounts are actually looking pretty good...no visible cracks, and the engine doesn't move a bit when lifted so I think the pads are fine. Bad news for fixing the rattle, though. Until I figured it out! After poking around under the hood I eventually looked down and found the issue directly under my nose. The damn airbox wasn't properly seated! I must have been careless when I re-installed it after doing all of the accessory bits. So dumb, but so satisfying to get rid of the noise without having to invest another full day under the car.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
I’m about to drop mine off to have tint installed. Going with a high IR rejecting ceramic to tame the sun a bit. (Also think it’ll look nice…shooting for 35% all around). I also ordered brakes from FCP so that I can finally address the wonky disc wear on all four corners. Think I’ll pick a day when it’s NOT approaching 100F to tackle that job. The plan is to start parking it inside again to cut down on rust accumulation, which I think is the root cause.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
Tint done! This is Kavaca IR at 35%. Wasn’t cheap so I hope it works! The lighting is crappy to show it off right now but I’m stoked with how it turned out. And I have never been a tint guy. Also, I love the installer’s reaction. “You know, it’s weird…this is actually a really nice car!” Who knew? 😂
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Automotive side marker light Plant Wheel Vehicle Tire

Reactions: Bunnspeed

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
I finally did the AOC and angle gear fluid yesterday. Need to grab another liter of the appropriate oil to do the rear diff itself and then I can declare all fluids to be reasonably refreshed. I’m planning to do brakes on all four corners next weekend. (Not looking forward to that one.)

I sold my “toy” BMW yesterday so the XC70 is going back to full-time daily duties. (And she gets her garage space back.) I don’t in any way feel like that’s a punishment. As much as I enjoyed the power and rowing my own, the 2 series just wasn’t adding enough to my my life to justify it.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
I hear you on the "fun" car thing. I have a nearly new Miata Club with all of 1,600 miles on it that is hardly driven - really hard to justify keeping it when Carvana will give me probably more than what I paid for it last year, lol.
Sounds like we had the same impulse at the same time! What makes me chuckle is that I probably would have bought a Miata instead of the Bimmer if only I could fit. I tried to fold myself into a ND when they first came out and failed...miserably :LOL: I made my decision to sell for a bunch of reasons, and one of them was that the M240i felt too serious and buttoned down to be a real "toy." Superbly capable but weirdly isolated and numb. Lovely vehicle, but deciding every morning between a comfortable daily driver that I need to function (and have bonded to) and another that I own just for lulz started to wear on me. Talk about first world problems! IDK...it's all 100% subjective. I basically rented it from Carvana for a year at the cost of $2k plus the sales tax (which hurts more). Seeing it hauled off had me in a funk for a couple of hours but I'm at peace today. I'll probably do it all over again with something else at some point.

Sold my Alfa Romeo Giulia for the 3.2 V70, its nice having a toy but once you have wagons you realize how useless sport sedans are unless you have a second car to haul anything larger than a crate of milk. I was driving my beater 960 more than the Giulia and I realized the same thing, wasnt adding to my life and just sat in the garage all the time.

God did I miss P3 seats...
As a one car solution there's absolutely no question. Shortly after buying the XC70 5 years ago I started referring to it as "the most optimal car I have ever owned." And I still do. I have three old dogs that have to travel in crates so there's absolutely no question of selling it right now. Plus it's a genuinely relaxing and pleasant thing to pack miles onto. The only difference between us is that I drove the BMW regularly out of some weird sense of obligation, which just left me feeling guilty about letting the XC sit in the driveway. (Hence the 4-corner brake job! Rust.) I'm much happier reverting to type and driving my wagon.

My plan...probably unrealistic and silly...is to keep the XC in good enough condition that I can pass it on to my teenage step daughters as a safe and reliable first car, same way I got my old 745. It's all emotional nostalgic BS but I'd feel pretty good about moving on from it in that manner. Then I'm getting a Taycan Sport Turismo and they're on their own for college 🤣

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
It would make all the sense in the world to sell this thing but they're just so easy to own - relatively cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, uses very little gas, fun to drive, never breaks, etc.
Sometimes easy, cheap, and fun trump sense! I did not have those things going for me with the Bimmer. I didn’t realize until after I owned it how unfriendly to DIY BMW is. And I reeeeally value being able to work on my own car. It’s doable but you’re entirely on your own WRT shop manuals and whatnot. (There are none.)

I may or may not have planted the seed with the Mrs. that the new BRZ/GR86 might be worth a look if and when market conditions stabilize. On paper the twins are closer to what I originally wanted…an enjoyable driving experience on east TN/western NC mountain roads.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
It took me the better part of 7 hours but I finally got the brakes sorted. Pads and rotors all around. The only significant hitch I ran into other than staying hydrated was rounding off one of those stupid screws that holds the rotor onto the hub. It was thoroughly seized and I clearly didn't get enough Blaster onto it. I ended up just drilling the damn thing out (very easy because very soft metal) so that I could continue. There's still a bit of remnant in there that I'll have to address with IDK what tool. Or just leave it. I don't think those screws do anything at all once the wheels are bolted up. 8 upstate NY winters followed by east TN humidity put a beating on all exposed, uncoated steel parts.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
I scheduled new tires for next week. When I bought the car as CPO it came with a fresh set of GY Eagle Sport A/S that I generally liked until they got down around 5/32. Recently (probably 40k mi on the set) I’ve discovered a steeeeeeep drop in wet weather cornering. Plus side, with the IPD sway bar she stays very neutral during an unexpected excursion to 11/10ths? Considered Cross Climate 2 but I can’t bring myself to pony up the Michelin bucks that I was quoted. Instead I’m going with Conti DWS 06+ since I really liked those on the Bimmer (despite that being a very different car) and I can get it done for under a grand including alignment.

Secret time: I’m praying to the elastomer gods that new tires address my intermittent vibration issue. There’s something funky going on in the rear but I can’t pin it down because it comes and goes. I’m only holding out hope because it felt like it was a front end thing before I did a rotation. Wheels were balanced last fall so maybe a genuine tire issue? Stay tuned.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
Weird. Are we talking “OEM replacement” tires or those geared squarely at the aftermarket? I’ve put several thousand miles on this exact tire (though different size) and they were great. We have a different flavor of Conti (Crosscontact I think) on the Cayenne and I haven’t had any complaints about those either.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
Well, I stand informed. After reading your warning I dove down the rabbit hole of vibration issues with newer Volvos that seem to be tire related most of the time. You’d think the big players in the industry would have figured out how to make tires that start round and stay that way. Guess not.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD
892 Posts
These particular Contis are consistently at the top of their category as well (albeit a different performance category). I’m not claiming the criticism is wrong, I’m just expressing surprise.

I have indeed heard some buzz about Vredestein lately. Also didn’t realize that Uniroyal was a Michelin brand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts