SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
8181 - 8200 of 8220 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Post #251 in my DIY thread:
Based on my GPS speed, it's dead on. I actually need to double check what it is with the original setting. I know when passing radar speed signs it was always a little off since the wheel change.

Also, cruise control worked perfectly fine for Almost 20 minutes straight, so maybe I got lucky?

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Got a new set of Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack tires and an alignment today. The rubber compound seems rather hard, within the first 100 miles at least, and they are surprisingly noisy over bumps. I am hoping they improve after they break in.
I’m liking these tires more after a short break-in period, in the limited contexts I’ve experienced them in. They aren’t as noisy over bumps as they were initially, and they have relatively low noise in general. Their noise does change dramatically in pitch and volume depending on the pavement type, so poor roads with lots of patches and alternating sections of old and fresh repaved sections will draw a lot of attention not to the volume so much as the diversity of sounds that now come up through the floor. Interesting. The ride seems surprisingly stiffer than before but not necessarily sportier. I believe that these have a harder rubber compound than that of the AS3+ tires they replaced, so the stiffness may be less about sidewall rigidity of a sporty tire and more about hard rubber for long tread life and fuel efficiency. While I haven’t explored their cornering grip limits, they do seem more prone to breaking traction under acceleration on dry pavement than my AS3+. I’ll be interested in getting to see how they do in the rain and snow.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Can anyone confirm that these are the right kits to order for my stock 2017 V60 T6 R-Design 4-Cyl? I assume the R-Design is the 336mm bigger kit in the front.

And I assume the R-Design gets the vented rears?

Just want to make sure before I order these up
Correct.

Any reason to buy the genuine? I've really liked the Akebono/Zimmerman combo. I also used the Brembo/Textar combo (which they don't sell anymore) but the dusting was very bad on the Textar pads.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Correct.

Any reason to buy the genuine? I've really liked the Akebono/Zimmerman combo. I also used the Brembo/Textar combo (which they don't sell anymore) but the dusting was very bad on the Textar pads.
Perfect, thanks! I just stick to the OEM stuff when I can. These don't dust hardly at all, and have now lasted the 65k miles on the car

·
Registered
2007 S60 T5M, 2014 S60 T5 AWD Platinum
112 Posts
Had 16" Hakkapellitta R3s mounted on Solars from my last daily, but the Solars definitely wouldn't clear the 316mm brakes. Put them on some Clavas from an early P1 T5 and they clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sitting at the local wheel shop. Had massive vibrations at speed. Turns out it's a slight bend in a wheel. Thanks Philly/Wilmington roads!

Getting the wheel straightened and then road balanced.

Of course Pep Boys didn't see the issue and balanced my wheels...to no avail or fix. I should have come to the pros first.

EDIT: End result, two wheels needed to be straightened... but it balances out now. Finally.
As an update to this update.

I kept having vibration issues at 70 MPH... so I jacked the car up and pulled the front spacers off. And by pull off I mean I had to bang one off with a mallet and a chisel through the wheel cap opening...

Slapped everything back on and voila, no vibration. I don't know if the spacer itself was the issue, or a multiplicative effect of a slight wobble in the wheel, but in any case, they are not going back on. The 15 mm on the rears are still fine, so I'll keep them on for now.

·
Registered
2017 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R Design Platinum
568 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, remember don’t drink and drive.
I’m not driving anywhere today, so I’m indulging in some of this:
Bottle Wine Bottle cap Glass bottle Alcoholic beverage

@p.rico

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Reactions: BUCHO and VARIABLE9

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, remember don’t drink and drive.

@p.rico
The same, my friend! I'll join you in the imbibing. Newest bottle in the lot.
Bottle Liquid Drinkware Purple Fluid

Much to be thankful for these times.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
First upgrade for any Volvo. This one went on my 2015 V60 R-D: View attachment 139699
That's a good nice to have. I have a few parts of my cobblestone street where if I don't hit it just right, I hit the bottom of my iPD cover. Good to know it's scraping this and not the oil pan.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Bought new wheels today, will replace my 19" Ixion IVs.
These are the 20" R-Design wheels from 2020 S60
Going to put on Michelin PS4 245/35 tyres next week and then store then until the spring

Skickat från min SM-G998B via Tapatalk
Very nice and good looking on the P3 from what I've seen on a couple of other examples. I would love to see your roads. I'm absolutely hating my 18's right now with my constant issues with bending wheels. My ride would be a nightmare on 20's.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
As an update to this update.

I kept having vibration issues at 70 MPH... so I jacked the car up and pulled the front spacers off. And by pull off I mean I had to bang one off with a mallet and a chisel through the wheel cap opening...

Slapped everything back on and voila, no vibration. I don't know if the spacer itself was the issue, or a multiplicative effect of a slight wobble in the wheel, but in any case, they are not going back on. The 15 mm on the rears are still fine, so I'll keep them on for now.
Update to an update to an update. Still having some small vibration issues. The shop spent two hours trying to road force balance, and tweaking another slightly bent wheel... all for free this time mind you (they're a pretty awesome shop), but could not fully eliminate the slightly feeling at 65 MPH in the steering wheel...

I'm going to slap some new rotors and pads on the front axles this weekend (I have been dealing with some vibration under braking) so am hoping that somehow, somehow, this might have also been part of the issue. Will take extra care to clean up the hub with a wire tool and the back of the wheel hub before getting everything slapped back on make sure everything is fitted accordingly and see what happens.

The tire guy mentioned it could be that the tire itself isn't dynamically a good match for the wheel, but I had been riding on these wheels and tires for nearly a year before this, so I'm a bit skeptical... not sure what to think yet.

Sort of on the cross roads of whether to drop back down to 17"s and pick up some sidewall or go back to taller sidewall on 18"s with a new set of tires. Drawback to the 17" option is the somewhat visually less appealing size (although my only frame of reference were my 17" Njords on stock ride height (and the gap was unsightly, might look much better with the H&R ride heigh)) and the drawback to the 18" option with 45 series (which I ran before on my Sleipners) were the odometer/speedometer and gearing "issues".

Need to think about what to do next, but pads and rotors first. (I'm secretly hoping it's a combination of issues with rotor and wheel, but I think that's being optimistic).

·
Registered
568 Posts
Let us know how it tastes. Looks good.
It is delicious, smooth as silk. I recommend with a wee touch of water to open up the flavors.

Reactions: msmith

·
Registered
568 Posts
Update to an update to an update. Still having some small vibration issues. The shop spent two hours trying to road force balance, and tweaking another slightly bent wheel... all for free this time mind you (they're a pretty awesome shop), but could not fully eliminate the slightly feeling at 65 MPH in the steering wheel...

I'm going to slap some new rotors and pads on the front axles this weekend (I have been dealing with some vibration under braking) so am hoping that somehow, somehow, this might have also been part of the issue. Will take extra care to clean up the hub with a wire tool and the back of the wheel hub before getting everything slapped back on make sure everything is fitted accordingly and see what happens.

The tire guy mentioned it could be that the tire itself isn't dynamically a good match for the wheel, but I had been riding on these wheels and tires for nearly a year before this, so I'm a bit skeptical... not sure what to think yet.

Sort of on the cross roads of whether to drop back down to 17"s and pick up some sidewall or go back to taller sidewall on 18"s with a new set of tires. Drawback to the 17" option is the somewhat visually less appealing size (although my only frame of reference were my 17" Njords on stock ride height (and the gap was unsightly, might look much better with the H&R ride heigh)) and the drawback to the 18" option with 45 series (which I ran before on my Sleipners) were the odometer/speedometer and gearing "issues".

Need to think about what to do next, but pads and rotors first. (I'm secretly hoping it's a combination of issues with rotor and wheel, but I think that's being optimistic).
Any other spacers on the car? I think in a previous you stated you removed the front spacers. I have a vehicle with spacers no issues whatsoever, however another vehicle (since sold) I was not able to make spacers work no matter which type or brand or size I tried. No spacers on my S60RD, with the offset of the OZ wheels I do not need them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The same, my friend! I'll join you in the imbibing. Newest bottle in the lot.

Much to be thankful for these times.
Nice, I haven't tried that specific Glenmorangie although I do like the ones I have sampled.

Reactions: p.rico
8181 - 8200 of 8220 Posts