SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
8161 - 8180 of 8220 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
What I miss from our old 2003 Infiniti are the heated REAR seats (not that I ever sat back there, but I wanted it for the kids). At least I have heated steering wheel, front seats, and side mirrors. Those were deal-breakers.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Is it ok to upgrade to led headlight bulbs in a reflector housings? Any recommendation for the bulbs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Having to follow that line of questioning means that is not OK.

Nothing but what the optic is designed for will ever be OK. This is coming from someone with years of experience retrofitting proper HID optics and hardware into reflector or halogen projector based housings.

I'm sure you'll hear great feel good stories from folks who will chime in to state that they are fine, that they don't blind others; it's confirmation bias. The physics of light projection and reflection are unchangeable. There are tradeoffs, folks just choose to not believe them.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Is it ok to upgrade to led headlight bulbs in a reflector housings? Any recommendation for the bulbs?
To piggyback on what p. rico said (note his post also has several likes indicating other folks' agreement):

NO. DO NOT DO THAT.

·
Registered
993 Posts
NO. DO NOT DO THAT.
Just the thought of it makes me shudder at all the a**holes around here in lifted trucks who put HID kits, LEDs etc on their trucks and promptly blind everyone coming the other way. LED light bars are the latest thing that every truck and Jeep owner are installing.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
What I miss from our old 2003 Infiniti are the heated REAR seats (not that I ever sat back there, but I wanted it for the kids). At least I have heated steering wheel, front seats, and side mirrors. Those were deal-breakers.
You can add them on! its a relative easy upgrade, depends on how much its worth to you and if you are fairly handy. Parts are easy to source either new or salvage, or ebay, and the wiring for most of the cars is already installed. Programming is through VDash.

·
Registered
2017 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R Design Platinum
568 Posts
Drove to the Formula1 United States Grand Prix in Austin, have only seen one other Volvo (an XC90). . .
Sky Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Hood

Swedespeed represent!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Drove to the Formula1 United States Grand Prix in Austin, have only seen one other Volvo (an XC90). . .

Swedespeed represent!
Nice man! Enjoy the weekend (and get in there Lewis!)

·
Registered
2017 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R Design Platinum
568 Posts
A Honda Odyssey photobombed this cool pic . . .
Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
112 Posts

Swedespeed represent!
Only drank 1/2 of my morning coffee and read "Drove IN the Formula 1..." Whoa! Then reread and saw you drove TO it. Oh well, nice dream, have a great time!

Reactions: BUCHO and VARIABLE9

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Got a new set of Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack tires and an alignment today. The rubber compound seems rather hard, within the first 100 miles at least, and they are surprisingly noisy over bumps. I am hoping they improve after they break in.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sitting at the local wheel shop. Had massive vibrations at speed. Turns out it's a slight bend in a wheel. Thanks Philly/Wilmington roads!

Getting the wheel straightened and then road balanced.

Of course Pep Boys didn't see the issue and balanced my wheels...to no avail or fix. I should have come to the pros first.

EDIT: End result, two wheels needed to be straightened... but it balances out now. Finally.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Switched over to my winter tires yesterday, a bit early but figured I'd do it while it still was warmer rather than wait for the cold wet days to do it. Already had a few days in the 30's so I'm ready!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I finally plugged up Vdash again after getting a confirmation email that they had enabled the advanced CEM settings for my $10 a year subscription. I can confirm that every option is available! I spent $49 to change the wheel circumference value in the CEM, but I have not been passed a radar speed sign to see if it is more accurate now. The only sign I really know about is on the other side of town from me, so I'll have to get over there at some point and see if the circumference is all that needs changed to fix the speedometer when changing tire sizes.

Additionally, my remote start through Vdash has been working great, but you have to be really fast to hold the "lights" button after lock button or it won't activate.
With Auto start/stop button set to OFF, the ECO mode no longer functions. I only ever used it while cruise control on the highway for long stretches so I don't really care, but for everyone else, be aware. It's also possible I disabled the wrong thing, but I only saw 1 option list for the start/stop.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I finally plugged up Vdash again after getting a confirmation email that they had enabled the advanced CEM settings for my $10 a year subscription. I can confirm that every option is available! I spent $49 to change the wheel circumference value in the CEM, but I have not been passed a radar speed sign to see if it is more accurate now. The only sign I really know about is on the other side of town from me, so I'll have to get over there at some point and see if the circumference is all that needs changed to fix the speedometer when changing tire sizes.

Additionally, my remote start through Vdash has been working great, but you have to be really fast to hold the "lights" button after lock button or it won't activate.
With Auto start/stop button set to OFF, the ECO mode no longer functions. I only ever used it while cruise control on the highway for long stretches so I don't really care, but for everyone else, be aware. It's also possible I disabled the wrong thing, but I only saw 1 option list for the start/stop.
You might want to drive a bit more with the circumference change to make sure it doesn't throw errors with your TCM. I tried this VDASH change in the past. After a couple of minutes of driving in cruise control, it would deactivate cruise and throw a code. The issue is that the circumference is stored both in the CEM and the TCM and if they don't match then it will throw the error.

After a car restart, it would enable cruise control again, but then throw the same error again after some driving, so there's no way around it.

I'll see if I can dig up my post later that addressed this. D5T5 didn't have a solution so I had them refund me the change.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Post #251 in my DIY thread:

The second option I tried to change in VDASH was the wheel circumference value. I currently am running the 235/45R18 tire size, which is about 75 mm larger rolling circumference than the stock 235/40R18. This yields about a 3 MPH differential at 70 MPH (the car is actually 73 MPH). I have learned to live with this, but figured it was a good change to try.

Apparently, this was not a good idea... First, my parking sensor calibration was way off on the rear sensors, they read as if something was always directly behind the car. I went out for a drive to check the speed against the GPS speed reading, and it read pretty consistent. However after a few minutes of driving in cruise control, the cruise control deactivated and would not turn on again. I checked the car in VIDA and had a DTC error within the ECM. Apparently, the TCM also has a stored circumference value which is checked by the ECM If a variation out of normal is detected, then the car throws the code and disables the cruise control.

Moral of the story is that just because you can change the option setting in VDASH, it doesn't mean it will always work. I assume that the software update Volvo uploads to the car to change the rolling size includes a CEM, ECM and TCM update.

Thankfully, Pavel and the guys at VDASH were very responsive and credited me the money I paid for the CEM upgrade. With my money back I went onto my next CEM change...

·
Registered
375 Posts
You might want to drive a bit more with the circumference change to make sure it doesn't throw errors with your TCM. I tried this VDASH change in the past. After a couple of minutes of driving in cruise control, it would deactivate cruise and throw a code. The issue is that the circumference is stored both in the CEM and the TCM and if they don't match then it will throw the error.

After a car restart, it would enable cruise control again, but then throw the same error again after some driving, so there's no way around it.

I'll see if I can dig up my post later that addressed this. D5T5 didn't have a solution so I had them refund me the change.
It has been driving ok, but I have not used the cruise control yet. I need to check it so I can find out if I need to refund or not. Thanks for the info.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Found the source of my fan noise, at least the high pitched source. Gonna hit it with some lube as well to hopefully kill the rumble.

EDIT: Sprayed some wd-40 and boresheild on the fan as best I could. Noise is all gone, for now.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: meade18
8161 - 8180 of 8220 Posts