SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
6441 - 6460 of 6463 Posts

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
911 Posts
Didn't take too many pictures after getting the transmission installed, but here's a few from the past week:

Replaced the Ball Joints - Much easier with the hubs off the car.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Groupset Crankset Rim

Fitting the Subframe:
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Automotive tire

The rest took a few hours. Installing all of the suspension parts, dialing in the front camber adjustment on the KW's, torqueing every bolt to spec, then bleeding the clutch system, brake system, and filling the transmission with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90.

Also ended up with a pretty gnarly exhaust leak that I had to fix (one of the IPD exhaust slip joints moved during the whole process) and checked everything over with VIDA. Still getting an intermittent "Anti-Skid Service Required" message with a BCM-A0032 code, as well as a CCU code for the blower motor diverter gate. Will have to address those after bringing the car to inspection.

Here she is, back on the ground after going for a shake down drive.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

A Few things to note:
  • The front is sitting a little bit too high. I'll have to adjust the front shocks down maybe 0.5in or so to level the car out
  • Still need to reinstall the side skirts. I'll tackle this at some date.
  • The front lip needs to be reinforced quite a bit. I'm thinking of a full closed undertray in front of the subframe in lieu of buying the front brake diverter panels $$
  • Definitely need an alignment after all the suspension work that I've done. I can see it slightly toe out in the front but it does drive very nicely.
  • Needs a wash and paint correction badly. Now that I know it fits in the garage, I can do this slowly during the winter days/nights.
  • The SMF feels great. Using Amsoil Severe Gear Fluid, the sound is barely more than the OE flywheel setup, and I do notice the RPMs dropping faster on upshifts and its easier to rev-match on down shifts.
  • The new clutch is pretty tight, but much nicer than my worn 147k mile OE clutch
  • Bleeding using a pneumatic bleeder was great, especially with only one person. Slower than I would have liked, but worked great for all the brakes and the clutch, first try. I did a complete system flush with about 1L of ATE Type 200 (yellow stuff).

Anyway, this thing will be getting a lot of miles and use over the next few months. Glad to have my second car back and great to be rowing my own gears again!

Cheers!

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Replaced a humming rear wheel bearing on the 05 S60. Damn thing showed up over time, after I thought I'd have a quiet ride again. Had a shop replace the fronts (cost me a lot) and had a full alignment and new Nokians because I stupidly had not gotten realigned after doing front struts on my own this past late spring, so the front tires were wearing. Nope - sound was still there, so ordered two SKFs from FCP and went in thinking it could take me 4 hours for both because I'm slow. Well, ten minutes in, it wasn't going well when I couldn't get the set screw out of the rotor. Had to drill and hack it off. 5 hours later, one done - NO noise!! Any words of wisdom on removing that last biotch of a bolt in an easier manner? I can't remember exactly what I did but if I had an easier way I would use it!! One more to do this weekend if I can fit the time.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Good job, Z on the DIY job. Broinkrist, you are killin it!

So, I finally got both the “reduced engine performance” and O2 sensor codes to go away. First issue was likely a bad throttle body. My son replaced the wiring harness- I don’t have to worry about the pins going bad for a long time. The O2 code issue was likely my son put the last sensor hole too far back. Put it closer to the motor. That seemed to work. Just got safety inspection done and tomorrow will be emissions. Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
You've got it. Long time waiting, but it's here!
Whatcha doin' with the new acquisition?
Good job, Z on the DIY job. Broinkrist, you are killin it!

So, I finally got both the “reduced engine performance” and O2 sensor codes to go away. First issue was likely a bad throttle body. My son replaced the wiring harness- I don’t have to worry about the pins going bad for a long time. The O2 code issue was likely my son put the last sensor hole too far back. Put it closer to the motor. That seemed to work. Just got safety inspection done and tomorrow will be emissions. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Replaced the front shocks, mounts, and sway bar links. Also replaced the rear struts but didn’t do the friggin strut mounts for some strange reason and now I have a clunk that I’ve got to fix. Oye…such is life. Also changed the heater core which was so much easier than any I’ve ever changed.

Also had the PCV system replaced by my indie last week and all is going well otherwise on my new purchase and coming from multiple S80 ownership to S60 noob status.

I must say that these cars are decidedly MUCH more sporty than the S80 and the geartronic makes this feel like a dedicated sports car….really.

I’ll keep ya all updated on things to come. This car is growing on me.

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Do yourself a favor and upgrade the eurus to something 17" and get a set of Zlines and get a four wheel alignment.
Those Nokians are life changers...
85 bucks for some neptunes! Somewhat near you...
Oddly, another set somewhat nearby with the right size tires, 200 bucks.
I’ll keep ya all updated on things to come. This car is growing on me.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Replaced a humming rear wheel bearing on the 05 S60. Damn thing showed up over time, after I thought I'd have a quiet ride again. Had a shop replace the fronts (cost me a lot) and had a full alignment and new Nokians because I stupidly had not gotten realigned after doing front struts on my own this past late spring, so the front tires were wearing. Nope - sound was still there, so ordered two SKFs from FCP and went in thinking it could take me 4 hours for both because I'm slow. Well, ten minutes in, it wasn't going well when I couldn't get the set screw out of the rotor. Had to drill and hack it off. 5 hours later, one done - NO noise!! Any words of wisdom on removing that last biotch of a bolt in an easier manner? I can't remember exactly what I did but if I had an easier way I would use it!! One more to do this weekend if I can fit the time.
I've used a dremel and cutoff disc to cut a groove and use a flathead to remove it, but if that doesn't work then just continue to grind it away until I can get vice grips on, or can remove the rotor then remove what remains with vice grips

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Yup - I tried that too. This time I am thinking PB Blaster and a few minutes and maybe a whack or two on the rotor head to shake it some.
I've used a dremel and cutoff disc to cut a groove and use a flathead to remove it, but if that doesn't work then just continue to grind it away until I can get vice grips on, or can remove the rotor then remove what remains with vice grips

·
Registered
544 Posts
Do yourself a favor and upgrade the eurus to something 17" and get a set of Zlines and get a four wheel alignment.
Those Nokians are life changers...
85 bucks for some neptunes! Somewhat near you...
Oddly, another set somewhat nearby with the right size tires, 200 bucks.
Not a fan of the wheels on it, but also not a fan of the Neptunes. Btw What are Zlines? Never heard of the term before.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You've got it. Long time waiting, but it's here!
Whatcha doin' with the new acquisition?
It passed! Then two days later the code came up. Oh well, I have 3 years of reg.

Been helping my bro-in-law w an 09 S60 T5 he got on auction. It has serious blow by. Just did pcv and nothing changed. Were swapping out the turbo tomorrow. If that doesn’t fix it then we will drop the oil pan. If that doesn’t fix it then it’s off to a shop. Cannot put anymore time into it. I have a few projects I need to get to. Got my daughter an 01 manual Maxima and it needs a clutch. She gets her license next spring. So, gotta get it done soon.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Yup - I tried that too. This time I am thinking PB Blaster and a few minutes and maybe a whack or two on the rotor head to shake it some.
Had this issue on my old Honda, but never on my S60 (So Cal car). On my Honda I used a hand impact driver to loosen it by recommendation. Basically an impact driver that you wail on the end of with a hammer when an air gun won't do or is too much. I have a Craftsman one, but this is basically the tool, worked like a charm.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It passed! Then two days later the code came up. Oh well, I have 3 years of reg.

Been helping my bro-in-law w an 09 S60 T5 he got on auction. It has serious blow by. Just did pcv and nothing changed. Were swapping out the turbo tomorrow. If that doesn’t fix it then we will drop the oil pan. If that doesn’t fix it then it’s off to a shop. Cannot put anymore time into it. I have a few projects I need to get to. Got my daughter an 01 manual Maxima and it needs a clutch. She gets her license next spring. So, gotta get it done soon.

I’ve always had a soft spot for those manual Maximas. Especially when they went to the VQ35. I’d love to pick one up for cheap to mess with.

·
Registered
544 Posts

She’s gna love having that manual Maxima and depending on the price paid a clutch job shouldn’t break the bank. I like that year Maxima because they were transitioning from family sedan to sports sedan and I used to LOVE racing them in my S.H.O. Taurus because they were evenly keeled but somehow the Taurus used to always come out on top or maybe I’m just a good driver hehe.

Awesome that you’re starting her out on a manual. Sign of a good Dad

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Join the club! Great tire (excuse me... TYRE). Made in Finland.
Nokian zLine. Several of us run them, and they're wonderful, and priced well.

Not a fan of the wheels on it, but also not a fan of the Neptunes. Btw What are Zlines? Never heard of the term before.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Join the club! Great tire (excuse me... TYRE). Made in Finland.
Nokian zLine. Several of us run them, and they're wonderful, and priced well.
I'm still conflicted on these. I put some on my mom's XC90, but it has chewed through them. Which isn't a huge surprise, XC90s are known to go through tires quickly, and the V8 torque doesn't help. I chirp them almost every time I take off out of an intersection. Regular rotations have gotten them about 30k so far, so not too bad I guess. I need to make sure the AWD is working properly, since I've put off fixing the one DEM code present.
That said, my brother put zLines on his 335i, and they're great. Very grippy, which is necessary with that car. The old tires were not good enough, and the car would kick out every time I accelerated out of a corner. Fun, but not the safest in less than ideal conditions. We still need to make some adjustments with the coilovers to get the clearance right (F30 wheels on an E90, different specs) but the tires themselves are great so far. We'll see how they last!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Installed the smoked sequential wing mirror signals on the car today. It’s a Chinese product that fits fairly secure but the blinking is kind of off for lack of a better explanation. Wonder if anyone else had that issue because everyone that has them on YouTube seems to work fine. Maybe it’s temp related cause it’s 28* here at the moment.

Otherwise they look pretty good especially with the tinted smoke look.

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Pics? Vid?
Installed the smoked sequential wing mirror signals on the car today. It’s a Chinese product that fits fairly secure but the blinking is kind of off for lack of a better explanation. Wonder if anyone else had that issue because everyone that has them on YouTube seems to work fine. Maybe it’s temp related cause it’s 28* here at the moment.

Otherwise they look pretty good especially with the tinted smoke look.

6441 - 6460 of 6463 Posts