SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

9401 - 9420 of 9506 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts

managed to ruin the clockspring trying to swap steering wheels...(n)

·
Registered
203 Posts
yeah, first time doing it and should’ve pushed the wires through before I pulled on the wheel...the metal brace fell and yanked them forward....gonna search around tomorrow for a used one I guess.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
yeah, first time doing it and should’ve pushed the wires through before I pulled on the wheel...the metal brace fell and yanked them forward....gonna search around tomorrow for a used one I guess.
This is why I’m afraid to do any significant mods / repairs by myself lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,398 Posts
I am SO far removed from you. Age, mod ability, etc. and I did this replacement. If I can do it, anyone can. It takes me forever because I watch, read, read again, watch again, read and then come back in the middle and watch another piece of the clip. I suspect Giant was a little too excited?
This is why I’m afraid to do any significant mods / repairs by myself lmao

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Feel no fear, Volvo brothers: what you've got screwed up can be unscrewed back. Worst case is a trip to a junk yard or Paypal transaction to FCP/Tasca for a replacement part.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
y'all need VIDA cause it tells you exactly how to not mess everything up

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know someone on here got '20s buying 225/45r17. Probably going to migrate my 850s to that for their next sets just to get into fresher rubber if nothing else.
Yesterday i had my local tire & front end guy mount 235 45 -17 Continental Extreme DWS's left from my Audi A6, they were less than a month old when it broke a cam chain tensioner, on to 17's from an 08 or 09 XC90 i picked up at a local yard recently. My ideal tire size would have been 235 50 17 but these were in the garage.
I had checked clearance previously, diameter is about .75" smaller than current stock, I dont think the 3/8" radius will be visually an issue, yes speedo will be off a bit. will get them on the wagon later today.
Just mentioning it as you will gain some height with the 235 vs the 225, something to think about when shopping.

Regards

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Daaaaang I didn't even THINK about this when I swapped my wheel, was so freaked out about the airbag connectors I must have gone super slow and avoided this. I imagine the clockspring innards won't just stuff back in?
How'd you get the bolt on the small amp bracket out? The way the carpet is in mine makes it literally impossible if you don't unbolt and lift the seat.
The lil carpet piece should be able to lift up a bit, then stuck a teeny weeny ratchet in there. WAY easier to take seat bolts out tho, better for back/knees/less contortions haha
y'all need VIDA cause it tells you exactly how to not mess everything up
Every time I just launched into something without checking Vida first it eventually works out but I later kick myself when looking at the proper instructions

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Daaaaang I didn't even THINK about this when I swapped my wheel, was so freaked out about the airbag connectors I must have gone super slow and avoided this. I imagine the clockspring innards won't just stuff back in? Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I tried that, but it gets all screwed up when you turn the wheel.

I may have found one at a junkyard for $50...fingers crossed. I sent them a pic to make sure the connectors are the same.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,135 Posts
Put the summers on. At least 5 bolts seized completely, and I bent my Volvo lugnut wrench. Took way longer than it needed to because a friend was borrowing my breaker bar. Now my back is killing me LOL

Also snapped the small plastic twist knob on the right side of the subwoofer as I was beginning to take it out (dropped it 2 inches when a wasp almost flew up my nose — absolutely no harm to the actual sub or amp) so I’ll have to superglue that back together as well.

·
Registered
16,398 Posts
LOL! I'm not the only one with lug tight issues.

OOOhhh. Wasp up nose and I'd have dropped the sub too.
Put the summers on. At least 5 bolts seized completely, and I bent my Volvo lugnut wrench. Took way longer than it needed to because a friend was borrowing my breaker bar. Now my back is killing me LOL
Also snapped the small plastic twist knob on the right side of the subwoofer as I was taking it out (dropped it when a wasp almost flew up my nose) so I’ll have to superglue that back together as well.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Yesterday i had my local tire & front end guy mount 235 45 -17 Continental Extreme DWS's left from my Audi A6, they were less than a month old when it broke a cam chain tensioner, on to 17's from an 08 or 09 XC90 i picked up at a local yard recently. My ideal tire size would have been 235 50 17 but these were in the garage.
I had checked clearance previously, diameter is about .75" smaller than current stock, I dont think the 3/8" radius will be visually an issue, yes speedo will be off a bit. will get them on the wagon later today.
Just mentioning it as you will gain some height with the 235 vs the 225, something to think about when shopping.

Regards
850 wheels are 7" so 235 is a bit wider than I want on a 7" wheel. 235/45r17 is the size I'd run on P2 wheels, though.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,135 Posts
Also — to anyone wondering who also has the High Performance audio as standard — the 300W amp makes an insanely big difference. HIGHLY recommend. There are things that I couldn’t hear in the car (that I can hear in the music when played on my B&W 804s) that I can now hear in the car as well.
Very pleasant surprise, and I think I spent a half hour just listening to music in the car because it was so nice.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,135 Posts
LOL! I'm not the only one with lug tight issues.

OOOhhh. Wasp up nose and I'd have dropped the sub too.
Haha yeah I think I jumped on that bar for a good 25 mins on one bolt before I noticed it was warped.
And the bolt itself? Didn’t seem to care. At all.
Found another lug wrench in the basement and continued with that (and it bent too). I swear the salt here is absolutely insane. And my friends need to get their own tools haha

Yeah the wasp wasn’t a nice surprise lol — good thing I had just started lifting the sub out of its place!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Y'all need a battery impact driver! It's a game changer. Suddenly DIY jobs are less screwing and more doing. Even a 120v driver is waaaaay better then hand bombing lugs if you don't mind the cord.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
^
My impacts have literally saved me days. Maybe more like weeks at this point. Literally.

·
Registered
16,398 Posts
I got a 24v? My lugs laughed at it like a warrior would laugh at a nerf gun.
Y'all need a battery impact driver! It's a game changer. Suddenly DIY jobs are less screwing and more doing. Even a 120v driver is waaaaay better then hand bombing lugs if you don't mind the cord.

9401 - 9420 of 9506 Posts