SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

8301 - 8320 of 8495 Posts

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
Wet, slushy snow is the downfall of almost every all-season tire. I've never found one in over 30 years that will handle that slop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
^
need Hakka R3 or WRG4

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
^
need Hakka R3 or WRG4
I remember reading about hakkas for the first time maybe 5 years ago. It was cold out and I found a set of beautiful pegs with Haks and was going to buy them. Dude brought them all the way from Richmond and I met him part way in Tyson’s (he did have something else to do in the area). The article I found was so glowing on these tires that i was sold. The name, they joked, was like “Ha! F you, snow!” Said it was almost impossible to get stuck.

These were stunning pegs and with good tires (almost) delivered I was going to pay a thousand. He meets me and pulls out two of them and sets them on the grass. He’d misunderstood the date codes and these were probably close to ten year old tires. Yeah, uh, no. He wouldn’t budge more than 100. Felt bad but couldn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,107 Posts
Hakkapeliitta means “hack them to death” and was a Finnish Calvary war cry

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have some Michelin x-ice 3’s on some 17” pegs but I haven’t had the time to put them on yet. They will definitely be on before the next snowfall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took the fully ported and polished head to the shop for the valve job. Had to drop off a few specialty tools too! Also ordered the cam adjustment tool, since I had the cams re-ground for a little more of everything.
Picking up the cams and delivering them to the machine shop tomorrow. I have an obnoxious phone, or I would post excellent pictures.
Manic Mike

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
I have some Michelin x-ice 3’s on some 17” pegs but I haven’t had the time to put them on yet. They will definitely be on before the next snowfall.

very popular tire on crashed cars at the JY

·
Registered
119 Posts
Said bye bye to faded plastic. Got a heat gun from Home Depot and restored all the plastic trim pieces back to their glory. They are black as night once again. The rear bumper was so bad, that it look real pleasure and lots of heat to bring the black out again. And if you didn’t know about this trick, no you do... simple air gun, and little bit of time.

I’m really diggin’ this car. [/IMG]

That does look good. Wheels are nice.

How did you get the black back near the paint? I was trying this earlier today on an S60. I used boiled linseed oil + thinner on my XC70 cladding and it worked easily and still looks good months later; hoping once a year with that will be adequate. but the S60 bumper trim didn't react to that at all. I started hitting it with a gun and it worked great, but if I got close enough to the paint it would visibly soften it/damage it before the plastic would turn black. I was using a narrow- mouthed adapter on the head of the gun to control the heat as finely as possible.

Did you take the trim off, or...? I was thinking I might just leave that and then come back with the BLO/thinner and try to blend in the thin white strip left I can't get to adequately close to the paint.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That does look good. Wheels are nice.

How did you get the black back near the paint? I was trying this earlier today on an S60. I used boiled linseed oil + thinner on my XC70 cladding and it worked easily and still looks good months later; hoping once a year with that will be adequate. but the S60 bumper trim didn't react to that at all. I started hitting it with a gun and it worked great, but if I got close enough to the paint it would visibly soften it/damage it before the plastic would turn black. I was using a narrow- mouthed adapter on the head of the gun to control the heat as finely as possible.

Did you take the trim off, or...? I was thinking I might just leave that and then come back with the BLO/thinner and try to blend in the thin white strip left I can't get to adequately close to the paint.
Hey,

Thank you. The wheels are Mirzam's 18s off a C70, I had to bore them out to 65.1, but otherwise they are super nice and easy to clean.

if you use some aluminum foil, and wedge it between the paint and the trim, it will deflect enough heat that you'll be able to turn the plastic to black again, before the paint gets damaged, the trick I found is it move the heat around, and not sit in one place for too long, the plastic will eventually heat up all around, and you just have to be patient and will see it come back to black rather soon. Hope that makes sense. Just keep moving it in a circular motion. The aluminum did help around those tighter spaces.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Got my XC90 yesterday so the 70 will be going up for sale as soon as I can clean her up good. Let me know if anyone is interested.

This pic is a few years old and she's got a few nicks and dings since then. What you can't see is the wang...

·
Registered
119 Posts
if you use some aluminum foil, and wedge it between the paint and the trim, it will deflect enough heat that you'll be able to turn the plastic to black again, before the paint gets damaged, the trick I found is it move the heat around, and not sit in one place for too long, the plastic will eventually heat up all around, and you just have to be patient and will see it come back to black rather soon. Hope that makes sense. Just keep moving it in a circular motion. The aluminum did help around those tighter spaces.
Thanks very much. I thought of a heat shield like that but didn't think it would be effective; my mistake. Also in one place too much. Thanks for the tips and I'll refine my technique! BTW try the Boiled linseed oil and a little thinner on plastic if it's not hideously gone. I also put some on the black center of the steering wheels in the two cars and now they look factory fresh and shiny.

·
Registered
804 Posts
very popular tire on crashed cars at the JY
Not sure if this is a poke at the actual tyre or not and if it suggests tyres are crap?

In any case, I’ve used X-Ice tyres for best part of 10 years and never had an issue. Mind you I’ve been rear ended but thankfully not hard enough to have to write off the car with X-Ice tyres on .

As a matter of fact, just bought 2 fresh sets for about a $1k CAD, with 13% tax and recycling fees included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
Not sure if this is a poke at the actual tyre or not and if it suggests tyres are crap?

In any case, I’ve used X-Ice tyres for best part of 10 years and never had an issue. Mind you I’ve been rear ended but thankfully not hard enough to have to write off the car with X-Ice tyres on .

As a matter of fact, just bought 2 fresh sets for about a $1k CAD, with 13% tax and recycling fees included.
It's a data point that requires further interpretation. My Michelin experiences in general have been mediocre and/or overpriced, so I don't like what that seems to be saying, but I've never personally put X-ice to the test hence my declination to offer an opinion on them specifically. That said, I'd rather have Nokian winter tyres based on the relevant data and experiences I do have on Nokian vs Michelin

·
Super Moderator
8,510 Posts
This pic is a few years old and she's got a few nicks and dings since then. What you can't see is the wang...
Our nanny has been considering buying one of these after driving ours around. Let me know when it's ready to find a home.

·
Registered
16,107 Posts
Got my XC90 yesterday so the 70 will be going up for sale as soon as I can clean her up good. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Actually i might be. Lets discuss via PM.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Zip ties do that well, don't damage anything, add impact resistance to the installment and are virtually invisible.You'll see where to slide them in once the bumper is taken off.

Also pay attention to how much air flow is restricted by such mesh. That engine runs on a hot side already, loosing 40% of flow through the lower opening is a lot. The radiator cage I did, has 68% of air flow, but with the IPD skid plate installed the cooling was so awful that it was partially a reason of why the engine had one valve burnt.

Later it got another layer of finer mesh to stop wasp butts penetrating the A/C condenser.
What's the purpose of boxing in the radiator like that?

I'm somewhat interested. I'd definitely like to know more about the car. Great color!

·
Registered
841 Posts
What's the purpose of boxing in the radiator like that?
Boulder/stump impact dissipation (keep radiators alive). I camp in bushes/snow piles whenever I can, a lower part of the front bumper is always broken. Last year I hit a bear in a remote part of northern Canada, radiator leak would be a lot of pain in neck up there. That time I was lucky: only a couple of cracks in the bumper and one broken fog light.

This is actually a half-measure: it needs a full steel bumper =)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Have heard Solution Finish (available through Amazon) is excellent for darkening the trim, but still requires paint protection.

I gave up and have swapped over to the painted beltline mouldings, just need to repaint the late V70R bumper.

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
Boulder/stump impact dissipation (keep radiators alive). I camp in bushes/snow piles whenever I can, a lower part of the front bumper is always broken. Last year I hit a bear in a remote part of northern Canada, radiator leak would be a lot of pain in neck up there. That time I was lucky: only a couple of cracks in the bumper and one broken fog light.

This is actually a half-measure: it needs a full steel bumper =)
uh....you hit a bear......?????????!!!

8301 - 8320 of 8495 Posts