SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
16521 - 16527 of 16527 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
How are you getting 31mpg?

And don't run <91. You'll burn a valve.
Alright so most of my driving is longer distance I live in Ohio now so mainly everything is flat and around 45mph+ so closer to highway style driving. Also I've learned that using cruise control on volvos saves you a **** ton of gas. I was getting around 22-25mpg average when I was running 91 and using 5w40 liquid moly I since have seen a drastic change using 5w30 and 93 octane. I've seen lower numbers when I'm passing a lot on the highway going around 90 around 27.9-28.7.

I've only experimented with my old c70 on gas grades never with the R since I know these engines are kind of delicate lol

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Alright so most of my driving is longer distance I live in Ohio now so mainly everything is flat and around 45mph+ so closer to highway style driving. Also I've learned that using cruise control on volvos saves you a **** ton of gas. I was getting around 22-25mpg average when I was running 91 and using 5w40 liquid moly I since have seen a drastic change using 5w30 and 93 octane. I've seen lower numbers when I'm passing a lot on the highway going around 90 around 27.9-28.7.

I've only experimented with my old c70 on gas grades never with the R since I know these engines are kind of delicate lol
Ok I can see getting 31mpg doing that lol. My T5M would probably get 35 if I did that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't wanna say you making this up but I found 31mpg is very unrealistic. I own VR with manual since 2009, put on it over 130kmiles and drive conservative most of the time. When my commute was mostly highway and I was trying to get the best mpg possible my average was 23 or something. If I reset the stats and go for a trip like Boston - NY I might have somewhere around 28-29 before getting into the city. But consistently getting 31? Doubtful. Unless you are talking about "instant' not average.
My car is close to hitting 140k and when I first bought the car back in March I shortly after replaced all ignition coils spark plugs and greased all connections new filters including fuel filter and baby the hell out of the car I did add a top end cleaner from liquid moly to the car and just before the trip used and engine flush by them as well

Trust me I'm just as amazed as you guys by it since I wasn't seeing these numbers, car feels and sounds extremely strong and healthy! It literally purrs

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nothing hugely exciting - just fitting some replacements for worn/broken/missing items:
1. new nuts cap / trims on the front wiper arms
2. new headlight wiper blades (why are pattern parts not an exact copy of the originals / where can I find Volvo branded ones??!!)
3. broken vanity mirror (previous owner, not me) in the drivers side sun-visor meant i had to fit a whole new sun visor - though I actually just bout a good used one from eBay. It was quite hard to find one in good condition that was exactly the correct type in that grey fabric; our local Volvo garage had not managed to find me a new one, so I had no choice but to buy used...
4. renewed the very very tired gas struts on the recently acquired Volvo dog-guard. What a superbly engineered accessory this is - the way it can be popped up totally out of sight along the headlining is just excellent design.
5. new CR2032 battery in the remote
6. placed an order for a new petrol filler cap retainer in that obscure 63mm diameter size (so twice the price of the 70mm ones for whatever reason)
7. then drove a car load of old timber to the local recycling centre :cool:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Tightened a leaky SS brake line and flushed with new fluid using a power bleeder. Re-bedded my pads & rotors. Still a softer initial pedal feel than I'd like but now I can flirt with ABS at 50mph+ which is nice.

16521 - 16527 of 16527 Posts