SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
16521 - 16540 of 16586 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
How are you getting 31mpg?

And don't run <91. You'll burn a valve.
Alright so most of my driving is longer distance I live in Ohio now so mainly everything is flat and around 45mph+ so closer to highway style driving. Also I've learned that using cruise control on volvos saves you a **** ton of gas. I was getting around 22-25mpg average when I was running 91 and using 5w40 liquid moly I since have seen a drastic change using 5w30 and 93 octane. I've seen lower numbers when I'm passing a lot on the highway going around 90 around 27.9-28.7.

I've only experimented with my old c70 on gas grades never with the R since I know these engines are kind of delicate lol

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Alright so most of my driving is longer distance I live in Ohio now so mainly everything is flat and around 45mph+ so closer to highway style driving. Also I've learned that using cruise control on volvos saves you a **** ton of gas. I was getting around 22-25mpg average when I was running 91 and using 5w40 liquid moly I since have seen a drastic change using 5w30 and 93 octane. I've seen lower numbers when I'm passing a lot on the highway going around 90 around 27.9-28.7.

I've only experimented with my old c70 on gas grades never with the R since I know these engines are kind of delicate lol
Ok I can see getting 31mpg doing that lol. My T5M would probably get 35 if I did that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't wanna say you making this up but I found 31mpg is very unrealistic. I own VR with manual since 2009, put on it over 130kmiles and drive conservative most of the time. When my commute was mostly highway and I was trying to get the best mpg possible my average was 23 or something. If I reset the stats and go for a trip like Boston - NY I might have somewhere around 28-29 before getting into the city. But consistently getting 31? Doubtful. Unless you are talking about "instant' not average.
My car is close to hitting 140k and when I first bought the car back in March I shortly after replaced all ignition coils spark plugs and greased all connections new filters including fuel filter and baby the hell out of the car I did add a top end cleaner from liquid moly to the car and just before the trip used and engine flush by them as well

Trust me I'm just as amazed as you guys by it since I wasn't seeing these numbers, car feels and sounds extremely strong and healthy! It literally purrs

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nothing hugely exciting - just fitting some replacements for worn/broken/missing items:
1. new nuts cap / trims on the front wiper arms
2. new headlight wiper blades (why are pattern parts not an exact copy of the originals / where can I find Volvo branded ones??!!)
3. broken vanity mirror (previous owner, not me) in the drivers side sun-visor meant i had to fit a whole new sun visor - though I actually just bout a good used one from eBay. It was quite hard to find one in good condition that was exactly the correct type in that grey fabric; our local Volvo garage had not managed to find me a new one, so I had no choice but to buy used...
4. renewed the very very tired gas struts on the recently acquired Volvo dog-guard. What a superbly engineered accessory this is - the way it can be popped up totally out of sight along the headlining is just excellent design.
5. new CR2032 battery in the remote
6. placed an order for a new petrol filler cap retainer in that obscure 63mm diameter size (so twice the price of the 70mm ones for whatever reason)
7. then drove a car load of old timber to the local recycling centre :cool:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Tightened a leaky SS brake line and flushed with new fluid using a power bleeder. Re-bedded my pads & rotors. Still a softer initial pedal feel than I'd like but now I can flirt with ABS at 50mph+ which is nice.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I completed the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, serpentine belt, and part of the pcv service.

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
2004 S60R M66 AWD and 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
777 Posts
New to the forum and new to owning an R. As the username suggests, my Volvo experience has been with a 2008 XC90 V8 instead. For the first work on my 04 S60R M66 w/112k miles, I decided to get rid of the "special" post-factory trim pattern that made its way onto the rear bumper trim.

See pics: 3 new photos by Shudhant Gautam

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ and tonyc

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
New to the forum and new to owning an R. As the username suggests, my Volvo experience has been with a 2008 XC90 V8 instead. For the first work on my 04 S60R M66 w/112k miles, I decided to get rid of the "special" post-factory trim pattern that made its way onto the rear bumper trim.

See pics: 3 new photos by Shudhant Gautam
Nice, what did you use?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 S60R M66 AWD and 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
777 Posts
Nice, what did you use?

Thanks! Should've included this info in my original post but oh well...

Simple 3-step process:
1. Quick wipedown/clean with rubbing alcohol and microfiber
2. Use heat gun 5-6 inches away from trim on high setting, DON'T keep it at the same spot for too long (have fun watching the satisfying change of colors)
3. Wait to cool down, and then use this magic stuff

Leave restorer cream on overnight in a cool, damp area so the plastic soaks it in, then wipe down the next morning with a microfiber and admire your results! Very easy and will be doing it for the rest of the trim around the car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How are you getting 31mpg?

And don't run <91. You'll burn a valve.
i just hauled ass to Columbus and back to pick up two sets of 255/45R13 purple crack on 13x9 magnesium wheels (might be 13x10) for my Volkswagen, and I went 245mi on less than half a tank. It is totally doable.

87 is totally fine for low boost highway cruising. Volvo certified the engine for that. I would not do it for towing or heavy use, though. It is a 8.5:1 engine with a 4v chamber and small bores, basically the best case scenario for low octane.
With the T5 engine, I only feed it 92/93 because of the higher compression and the lower grams/cycle of airflow relative to cylinder pressure, and I have not had a retune, so the ignition timing is going to be a bit too advanced.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Also, I went to the dragstrip to play around with my new Dash Control. I learned two things.
One, teh R with a half tank of fuel and 210lb of me weighs 4005 pounds.
Two, the stock intercooler setup SUCKS! It stays within 20 degrees of ambient on the road with the brief squirts of boost you can run without risking your license, but on the quarter mile the IATs were at 135F by the 330' mark and stayed there for the whole run. Someone once told me that detonation starts to get unmanageable over 120F with gasoline.

Definitely going to get a Snabb intercooler if I ever decide to track the car, as preventive maintenance. But I'd want to have a way to keep the stock OTE pipe because I hate the non-stock look of the aluminum one. (After having had the car for 85k miles, if I haven't tracked it yet, I probably never will, though. And 4005lb makes my ability to fade the brakes to uselessness in 1-2mi of country roads a lot more understandable. I still feel my S40 had better brakes, but it also weighed 1000lb less)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Brace yourself for a significant upgrade.

The little screws on the bottom of the door that attach to the trim were all rusty. Couldn't find any that weren't rusty on s60, v70 or xc70s at the junkyard (was there for something else too!) but found that the v50 screws weren't rusty and were compatible so I used that. The grimy film you see in the pictures is old anti rust by the way, didn't seem to work on those screws. Little victories.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Brace yourself for a significant upgrade.

The little screws on the bottom of the door that attach to the trim were all rusty. Couldn't find any that weren't rusty on s60, v70 or xc70s at the junkyard (was there for something else too!) but found that the v50 screws weren't rusty and were compatible so I used that. The grimy film you see in the pictures is old anti rust by the way, didn't seem to work on those screws. Little victories.

Speaking of little things...touched up all the door dings from the PO...

...and cleaned these horrible burns/dirty spots on the headliner also from the PO. I bought a bunch of AMMO NYC stuff as a non-believer, but WOW am I convinced. Larry's stuff is bomb.

First picture before, largest thing is like a fingernail size.

Second, after AMMO Shag sat for a bit. Honestly I don't even think I needed to agitate beforehand, though I did, it lifted everything out and I just wiped it off. Crazy.

Last, after. No weird stains left over, no discoloration from the product. 10/10 would use again. Also pulled some stains from my visors!

·
3,979 Posts
Larry is ON POINT, he really digs in and understands what chemicals work best at the ingredient level. I hope to be that good in the future.

Reactions: tabormeister

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Larry is ON POINT, he really digs in and understands what chemicals work best at the ingredient level. I hope to be that good in the future.
Are you doing chemical stuff too? And it absolutely blew my freaking mind, I was avoiding messing with those spots since I bought the car since I figured anything I did would make it worse

16521 - 16540 of 16586 Posts