SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
12861 - 12880 of 12895 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also replaced the right front axle on the C30. The inner boot was torn and from the age of the grease sprayed everywhere it wasn't a new tear. The car is new to me (76k miles), from my brother-in-law.

Lessons learned from the project:
  1. It took much longer than 26 minutes :) www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4mtwS6uHA
  2. The gearwrench ball joint separator - 3916D is too thick for the C30 ball joint (21mm). What separator works best?
    1. After trying everything else, I just used a punch and a hand drill hammer to tap the ball joint out. It took only the gentlest tap.
  3. failed alternative method #1: Disconnecting the outer tie rod end doesn't give enough play in the hub to remove the axle.
  4. failed alternative method #2: I couldn't figure out how to pull out the front bolt that connects the control arm to the body. The pipes (oil cooler?) are too close. (see photo)
    1. Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Gas Automotive fuel system
  5. I didn't remove the fender liner and should have - my forearms are all scratched up from reaching into the tight opening to remove and reinstall the bearing clamp.
  6. The splines on the wheel end of the axle were slightly rusty so I had to reinstalled the axle bolt and gently tap it out.
  7. There's no clearance above the ball joint. Tightening the ball joint required a 6mm hex bit (1/4" drive) and a small 1/4" box end wrench to hold the center.
  8. Everything else went like the videos show, but slower.
Finally ready for Massachusetts inspection today: new axle, new windshield, new front brake pads, front license plate holder, new wipers all around, new rear hatch handle, etc. .... and the car failed. Stupidly, I cleared all the codes (VIDA) when I first got the car and haven't driven enough miles since then.

But to brighten my day, I was the second C30 at the local garage today. The mechanic had never seen one and now he had two.

Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Reactions: 87hjärtan

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If I was you, I'd buy a 3916D and shave off the 1mm difference on each side between the 19.05mm it's rated to handle and the 21mm you need. Of all of them it's the only one I've found that doesn't damage the boot if you do it correctly...

Usually you unbolt the pipes for the power steering system and then you get all the room you need. I undid my tie rod and left the rest assembled and it gave me JUST enough to pull out the axle.

You can solve the re-tightening issue for the ball joint into the knuckle by reinserting the ball joint into the knuckle, spin the nut on, and use a floor jack and continue to spin the nut down as you jack it upunder the ball joint of the LCA, eventually there's enough pressure to hold it in place and you can easily hit the 70 ftlbs to tighten it.

·
Super Moderator
15,279 Posts
Got the driver's side axle swap down to a sub-10 minute process from start to finish.

No time lapse this time, just an updated DIY video since the old one was very old and very poor quality.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sky Plant Hood Automotive tire Car

Back on the road for the first time since last summer. It was that DAMN lower connection to the ECM. I thought it was all the way in but it wasn't. It's been the culprit for so many people here before. I'd seen a rotating list of between 15-20 codes, including for the ECM signal itself but I thought that it was all the way in... The car was maybe start/maybe sputter/maybe eradic RPMs/eventually stall. And it thought it was overheating from when the ignition was turned on.

If you can see the gasket on the lower connection, it's not all the way in. 😀

Now just enjoying the free car wash Mother Nature decided to bless me with today.

·
Registered
2006 Volvo V50 AWD AW55-5X
7 Posts
Decided to check on my sunroof drain tubes today. The passenger side was clogged and had water draining to the floor! Before I knew it I had my car tore apart and trying to dry it out.

Motor vehicle Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I used a ladle to get most of the water and towels for the last bit. To dry the foam, I let it drain then pressed towels into it. I actually laid layers of towels below the rear carpet and sat on it while I cleaned to force some water out. I finished it off with a blow drier and heat gun and it’s all together now!
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Bonus for the passenger side now being the cleanest it’s been since I bought the car four years ago.

·
Super Moderator
15,279 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very nice videos :)

I took the time to show it to my kids and my GF and they loved it :)

The engine sound is very nice!

We are calling our S40 the Baby R as its like the R but in a smaller version.

I never take it to the track yet and i am very pleased to see some videos of a modified S40 on the track.

Thats very cool.

You seem to have solved your fuel pump issue. The car runs and sounds great.

Is it on a K04? Or something much more agressive?

You said you were using 750cc injector.

I am wondering :)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: domwild43

·
Registered
124 Posts
Very nice videos :)

I took the time to show it to my kids and my GF and they loved it :)

The engine sound is very nice!

We are calling our S40 the Baby R as its like the R but in a smaller version.

I never take it to the track yet and i am very pleased to see some videos of a modified S40 on the track.

Thats very cool.

You seem to have solved your fuel pump issue. The car runs and sounds great.

Is it on a K04? Or something much more agressive?

You said you were using 750cc injector.
Thanks mate (y)

Yeh car is heavily modified running over 410bhp now, yeh it has a k16 turbo on it. I previously had a hybrid K16 and was hunting for 500 but for a fwd anything more than 350 - 400 is just pointless as even with an LSD and semi slicks, I am still struggling to keep the power down.

I have tracked mine a few times here in the UK including a few trips to the Nuremburgring in Germany, but after the last track day I will be completly gutting the car out as it is just way too heavy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Came up with that old pic from summer 2018 when i bought the S40

It has been in a lot modifications since that time.

It makes a nice “before/after” screenshot

Before:

Although it’s an R Design, I find it very “sob” as a stock car especially with the suspension height.

The Zaurack wheels are nice as well as the R Design Body skirt.

However, It really needs that suspension drop

After:

·
Registered
2005 Volvo V50 AWD Stage 1 Hilton tune, Elevate upper manifold, Elevate air intake,
14 Posts
Came up with that old pic from summer 2018 when i bought the S40

It has been in a lot modifications since that time.

It makes a nice “before/after” screenshot

Before:

Although it’s an R Design, I find it very “sob” as a stock car especially with the suspension height.

The Zaurack wheels are nice as well as the R Design Body skirt.

However, It really needs that suspension drop

After:

so beautiful!

·
Registered
(MysAg) MY06 V50 'HS5' T5 AWD 6-spd
111 Posts
Found this bit of loveliness after searching for what sounded like a small exhaust leak. The heatshield was holding it in place .
Wow, those welds just said, "You know... sorry but I'm gonna leave now. But, hey! At least heatshield is 'sticking around!' Okay? You'll be, um...ooookay. "

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: V50unicorn
12861 - 12880 of 12895 Posts