SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

5141 - 5160 of 12672 Posts

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Hot dynamic lip! Do you have a good source for it in terms of price? Looks like you did Aldebaran's texture method to match the other plastic?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I put on my new rims:

These are Schmidt Phantom Black 8,5 x 20 wrapped in Pirelli Pzero Nero 245 /30 R20.

The car is lowered 40 mm with H&R Springs. :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Well, long story short... Went to change spark plugs, broke right hand bracket off of OEM turbo intake pipe. Thought it would be a perfect opportunity to throw the Evolve/Elevate part in :) Then fought Don for a month :mad: Finally got the fricken thing in the mail :cool: Then realized that it was painted silver, rather than anodized :facepalm: Stripped off the paint (which was still wet) and hit it with a can of black primer :rolleyes: After a little driving, I noticed that it was getting really hot, acting basically as a reverse-intercooler :eek: Thunked a little, and the parts for my solution came in the mail today:

Used about 25' of 2" fiberglass exhaust wrap, with silicone adhesive and black high-temp wheel paint. Added the "VOLVO" for fun, but looking at it now, if I had left it black it would have looked OE. I think it looks better than both the sliver, and the primer black paint, but YMMV.

This keeps the IC IAT down about 15 degrees F over the black aluminum pipe after the engine is warmed up, back to where it was with the OE. Never installed it painted silver, so I'm not sure if it would have made a difference.

Didn't notice a difference in power, but there has been a substantial improvement in fuel economy. Since I installed it originally (about two tanks ago), average has gone up about 3mpg. Same driving style, if not harder (trying to find performance difference). Nothing else has changed... Unexpected.

I'm mostly happy. Except it's f'king impossible to install without scraping against the AC lines. And I'm pretty sure it hits it when the engine rocks back under acceleration. And it's unsupported, vibrating the airbox like hell. But I knew all that before I bought it, so I'm not particularly peeved.

:beer:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hot dynamic lip! Do you have a good source for it in terms of price? Looks like you did Aldebaran's texture method to match the other plastic?
I got the lip from Taska last year. I did use the same method as Aldebaran...Duplicolor truck bed liner.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Disassembled the Wilwood calipers and cleaned everything up, then, applied a new coat of grease to all the pistons and flushed the system with new fluid. 3 hrs later...smoothness!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You got the convenience package? I basically got everything from that package for my year (2004.5), except the trip computer.
well the previous owner custom ordered everything besides the nav. remember the red interior. it had preferred and climate package and keyless.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wait, some P1's don't have trip computers? Wow I had no idea

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Managed an other flat!

I’m so frustrated! :mad: It’s the second times I get a new set of tires and soon after I manage to get a puncture with some stupid nail sh#%T! I’m so tired of these road in construction not properly cleaned or whatever else junk lies on the road!!!

So piece of advice . . . It was my rear tire. I got out of the garage I park during work and I hear this squidgy sound. I’m thinking: Is that coming from my friend I’m following to go out some place. I drove and the noise went away...

I keep going and I actually didn’t feel anything. I drove about 8 miles of medium speed highway and when I parked I look at my tires and what! Is that a flat! Whoa! I got lucky my rims were not damage. :facepalm:

This Michelin 225x18 held amazing but even more amazing that I did not feel a thing (that’s kind of scary)!!! I think they weren't fully flat though by the time I parked again…

Well the good thing is that I still got my all season 17s I spent some time this late changing :(

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Gezz that sucks man, I have been through many tires with the amount of potholes we have up in the north east. The nail is not close to the sidewall you should be able to have it repaired. My last set of tires I had to repair one and a plug and patch lasted 20k miles. 25$ is better than 180$!

·
Super Moderator
15,157 Posts
Any insurance on the tires? I always pay the extra $$ for the insurance and never have a problem, but I know that if I ignore the insurance, then I'll most likely end up needing it.

That's one thing I like about the local tire shop, a few extra dollars for a lifetime replacement if I get a flat.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Boy after a busy day yesterday, a busy day today...

Unfortunately I don't have extra insurance on those tires and I doubt Michelin would cover that one!

Despite my wish I'm going to see what's the hope to fix it but generally speaking I don't like fix on performance tires... I feel that if I'm going to drive somewhat harder on them (hens buying performance summer tires!) how is that fix going to hold?... will I stay safe?... I don't really know and feel on the fence with it...
I would prefer to change the tire and keep the fixed one in case but then again I'm not sure I'd use it and space is not what I have most at home...
What do you all think I should do? They are pricey tires and running on them for those few miles has rubbed the side wall a bit. kind of cosmetic but It's going to stare in my face every time :p

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Do it soon before the radial belts rust from moisture exposure.
Good point! good the weather has been quite dry for some weeks around here :)
I'll take care of it tomorrow or Saturday...

·
Super Moderator
15,157 Posts
Seems to be such a classic style puncture, that a patch kit should work fine. But I completely understand your worry with that!

If I were in your shoes, I would convince the wife that a new tire is necessary and patch the damaged one. It may take up garage space, but consider the patched tire as your personal insurance on the set. You can then have worry-free fun on all good tires and have that back up if anything were to happen again.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
you need to patch AND plug in order to be safe. The home-made patch kits are easy to mess up if you don't know what your doing. Don't gamble with safety! Call around to your local tire shops to get the best price (usually 18-25$)

·
Registered
227 Posts
i too puntured a tire today. A piece of a box cutter blade . I could hear the tire hissing away. DOH! good news is I just used it as an excuse to get the Michelin Super sports in 225/45/18 WITH insurance!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
good news is I just used it as an excuse to get the Michelin Super sports in 225/45/18 WITH insurance!
Yeah, rub it in :mad: ... ;)

you need to patch AND plug in order to be safe. The home-made patch kits are easy to mess up if you don't know what your doing. Don't gamble with safety! Call around to your local tire shops to get the best price (usually 18-25$)
I'm definitely not doing this myself. I want a professional to do it. It would be on my winter tires possibly... but not on these.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I changed my steering wheel... Instead of going "mainstream" with an R-Design wheel, I had my spare one redone by RedlineGoods.com :)

Great quality! Simply fantastic when it comes to detail and how well it just feels! Really well made! Just a tad too bright for my interior...! :)

5141 - 5160 of 12672 Posts