SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
701 - 720 of 761 Posts

· Registered
475 Posts
Sad to read this.
As @Facusan said, engine probably is toasted and easier would be to replace it. Either crankshaft bearings or piston rings or even scratches on the cylinders due to not enough oil. Even if you change the oil pan, put some oil in and everything seems fine, my guess is that after some while you will start to hear some unpleasant noises from engine.
I dont want to be the one who bring bad news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Thanks y'all!
Yeah, in the heat of the moment(it WAS over 90F when this happened), I decided to take a chance on limping home as long as I didn't have to stop(for traffic). So, call it 1.5miles(4-5 minutes) of driving after the light came on. Oh, well. There is still a chance there is additional damage to the undercarriage components that might be discovered(hopefully Monday) as they really did squeeze me into the schedule on Friday.
Let's hope for the best!!
Where might we find a replacement engine? I see some on eBay; but....

Reactions: Facusan

· Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
2,206 Posts
Thanks y'all!
Yeah, in the heat of the moment(it WAS over 90F when this happened), I decided to take a chance on limping home as long as I didn't have to stop(for traffic). So, call it 1.5miles(4-5 minutes) of driving after the light came on. Oh, well. There is still a chance there is additional damage to the undercarriage components that might be discovered(hopefully Monday) as they really did squeeze me into the schedule on Friday.
Let's hope for the best!!
Where might we find a replacement engine? I see some on eBay; but....
No, that's waaay too long to drive with no oil. I completely understand the "in the heat of the moment" reason, sh*t happens. It's soooo easy to think clearly when you're sitting behind a desk writing on a forum about what the other person should've done in that situation.

Anyways..... Let's hope there's no undercarriage damage and wait until the final diagnostic report from the shop.

Regarding where to find replacement engines. I'm pretty sure your shop will know where to source them. But if not, I know there's a LKQ in Austin, that currently have several P1's in stock. The problem with ebay is the shipping, which is not cheap, the best is always pick them up in person and take a quick look at it, but that's not always possible.
Also check on Facebook marketplace and offerup. You'll find plenty listings of people parting out cars near your area.

· Registered
800 Posts
I have to absolutely agree with you. No boy racer here BUT after a couple of weeks and about 500km later, I can tell the difference even with the OEM 1/2inch bar. Car turns better and sharper. As @RR04 said “bucks well spent”.

Now I wanted to upgrade the rear view mirror to one with compass (mine is a pre-facelift C70). Did I miss something here or it turns out Volvo didn’t make a mirror with autodim, compass and rain sensor compatible?!
My 09 has. Seems rain sensor is in cover. 2009 Volvo C70 2.5l 5 cylinder Turbo Interior Rear View Mirror - 30799777 | Volvo Parts Webstore, Oak Park IL

My kid just upgraded his 2006 V50 with compass. Ask V50toS40 to look for one for you in the junkyard.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
No, that's waaay too long to drive with no oil. I completely understand the "in the heat of the moment" reason, sh*t happens. It's soooo easy to think clearly when you're sitting behind a desk writing on a forum about what the other person should've done in that situation.

Anyways..... Let's hope there's no undercarriage damage and wait until the final diagnostic report from the shop.

Regarding where to find replacement engines. I'm pretty sure your shop will know where to source them. But if not, I know there's a LKQ in Austin, that currently have several P1's in stock. The problem with ebay is the shipping, which is not cheap, the best is always pick them up in person and take a quick look at it, but that's not always possible.
Also check on Facebook marketplace and offerup. You'll find plenty listings of people parting out cars near your area.
Thanks!!!
I'll update as I find out more!

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Thanks!!!
I'll update as I find out more!
Speaking of updates, the adjuster is being pretty generous with his allowances for incidentals related to the engine replacement. We are going to replace darned near anything that would need replacing in the 90-100k mile services while installing the "new" engine. Hope the assembly arrives next week and Bluebell is back in business in the following week.

· Registered
2,206 Posts
Speaking of updates, the adjuster is being pretty generous with his allowances for incidentals related to the engine replacement. We are going to replace darned near anything that would need replacing in the 90-100k mile services while installing the "new" engine. Hope the assembly arrives next week and Bluebell is back in business in the following week.
Those are some dang good news!

· Registered
2,206 Posts
Two days ago I upgraded a good part of the suspension:

• Upgraded front lower control arms with new bolted ball joints, Whiteline Polyurethane bushings and Anti-Lift Kit
  • Bilstein B8 Struts and shocks
  • New strut mounts
  • New strut dust boots
  • New rear shock mounts
  • New rear shock bump stops
  • Pierce Motorsports 2-point lower tiebar brace

Everything started because I needed struts for my S40. Since the struts on the C70 are still good. I decided to take advantage of this situation and buy upgraded struts for the C70 and transfer the old ones to the S40.

I started looking for options and after reading some reviews and hearing a few opinions, I decided on Bilstein dampers. But I didn't want to lower the car. That meant I had to buy the B6 model. BUT there is a big problem, according to VIDA, our cars use exclusive struts (front) and shocks (rear). I found that most manufacturers state their front struts are compatible with all P1's but the rear shocks was a different story.

According to Bilstein's catalog, the rear C70 B6 shocks are discontinued. No one on this side of the pond have them in stock. FCP still had the B8's, but these are meant for lowering springs. I wasn't very happy about having to mix different dampers even though the valving is the same on both models. Only difference is they're ~20mm shorter. Since I didn't want to lower the car, I wanted to know if using stock springs would be possible. But before I needed to gather some info first. That's why I reached out to many of you asking about the suspension of your car (I'll be doing a thread with my findings during next week).

So, after doing some calculations, It seemed using the stock springs with B8's wouldn't be too bad of an idea. And after finding that RockAuto had them at a better price and also I had a 5% discount coupon, I pulled the trigger and ordered them:

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Bumper Tire Gas Automotive exterior

I didn't want to leave the strut rod exposed, luckily I still had the plastic boot holders from the original struts of the car, they just needed a little modification to allow the thicker rod to go through:

Automotive tire Yellow Rim Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

These are the genuine Volvo LCA's that came with the car when I bought it, I kept them because I knew this would happen soon or later......

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Tread Gas Rim

Now the front of the car will be reinforced from above with the genuine strut brace and below with the lower tie bar, plus it looks almost "OEM".

Scaled reptile Asphalt Road surface Metal Fashion accessory

I started with the LCA's first and the lower tiebar brace and left the struts for the last

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Struts installation was relatively easy.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs
Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

Bilstein B8 C70 shock vs "Stock" KYB C70 rear shock

Calipers Tool Writing implement Gas Drill

Once I had all installed, only downside of the lower tie brace is the splash shield needs to be installed bent:

EDIT: I measured again and the tie bar protrudes approximately 1.75" / 44mm from the bottom of the oil pan.

To be honest, I don't feel comfortable forcing the splash shield there and only being held by screws threaded into plastic clips. For now I'll leave it out and see how I can modify it to make it fit better, or maybe just use on the S40 instead.

So far the car was transformed, now it feels much firmer than before, body roll and nose dive (under braking) got reduced quite a bit . Road imperfections can be felt a little bit more, yes. but it's not that bad. Steering is now very responsive. And the vibration issue I had before, now seems to be gone (hopefully). So far I'm very happy with it and now can't wait to drive it on some twisty roads with the roof down.

· Registered
2,206 Posts
I got insulted by CarFax today:

Communication Device Font Electronic device Screenshot Software

· Registered
1,546 Posts
I got insulted by CarFax today:

View attachment 171093
I have no idea what my Bluebell is worth; but we had seriously major storms move through tonight(blowing over semis on the hwy-type storms with some hail). Bluebell is parked OUTside at the indie garage where I hope my replacement engine has been installed. After $9 grand for that, I would HATE to incur hail damage!!!

· Registered
2,206 Posts
.....yet they have an almost identical one for $15,000.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
Things are getting out of hand........

· Registered
2,206 Posts
Carvana offer for my car, yet they have an almost identical one for $15,000.

You're getting a great deal, I checked on their website and they only offer this for mine:

Communication Device Portable communications device Mobile device Font Gadget

· Registered
729 Posts
You're getting a great deal, I checked on their website and they only offer this for mine:

View attachment 171355
I'll double that and give you $500. Lol.

Carvana is going to be out of business soon anyway.

· Registered
2,206 Posts

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Well, kids...I picked up Bluebell yesterday and she seems to fine(but dirty).
We had severe weather overnight and I wanted to get her home, even though it took some doing in
afternoon rush hour traffic. We got her squared away before the giant storms came, thankfully.
Gonna spend some time on her Saturday, cleaning and conditioning...just so she knows she was missed;)

\

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Coach, out of curiosity, did the stone or projectile pierce the splash guard or was it not on?
You ask a good question! I'll have to check with the garage. The tech mentioned a more durable guard(I think) that would not have helped in this case...there were chunks of limestone rock driven INTO the oil pan(this rock was huge apparently). In the flash before I hit it, it appeared to be pointed on top. The timing was extraordinary !!! I've dodged plenty of things in 50+ years of driving; but I hit this rock square as could be
:oops:

· Registered
1,546 Posts
By the bye, I've not romped on this "new" engine; but it sure is running powerfully(a la our Polestar'd 2011). We've had some cool, crisp days and Bluebell feels a bit like a carburetor vehicle enjoying the cool, dense air!!! Maybe we are both happy to be back in service!!!

Reactions: Facusan

· Registered
2,206 Posts
There’s nothing that would have saved Coach’s engine from that rock while traveling at freeway speeds other than avoiding it. Not even the aluminum skid plate. Just think, if the hit was powerful enough to break the oil pan, I bet it would pierced an aluminum skid plate as well.

Our cars have very low clearance, even in stock form. At least on mine, the oil pan is 5.5” away from the ground.

I had a small argument with another forum member who was saying the plastic splash guard was useless because it didn’t protect his engine when he ran over a lost muffler on the road. I replied: “You’re driving a C30, not an M1 Abrams tank

701 - 720 of 761 Posts