SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
561 - 580 of 592 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
top three words never heard at the Volvo dealership
While I flew 500+ miles to get my car I had no idea just how well it was taken care of. Bought from a widow who advised that she was told by her late husband that no one but the Volvo dealer should service the C70. I bought the car with 85,000 miles on the car. She had receipts from 80,000-85,000 miles for just shy of $8000. I have been lucky enough to find a second generation Volvo only shop that has a shop rate significantly less than the Volvo guys. Forty miles away but worth the trip. Ohio owners try Mark Drennen Volvo in Ravenna,Ohio. They did the A/C clutch fiasco for $80 and apologized for a full hour charge for only 20 minutes work so they did a full inspection and advised of many new parts underneath (without a $1200 repair that local Volvo shop wanted) Easy/simple/cheap at Volvo dealer seems like fantasy.

In fairness to Byers Volvo in Columbus Ohio, I went in to have the heated seat temp lowered. Did it rather quickly and said it wasn't worth writing up a bill- a freebie. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well I can tell you right now that a condenser replacement is neither simple nor cheap from a labor standpoint.

I am fortunate that I can do all my own work as a tech at a Honda dealer, but I did look up the book labor time for it at 4.3 hours (which is what a customer would pay for). To do it properly I believe the radiator is supposed to be drained and removed with the condenser attached. I started at the end of my work shift and the parts guy had gone home (building is shared with a motorcycle dealer that has different hours so I could stay late) which meant I had no coolant to put in if I drained it. I got it done in about 2.5 hours and didn't open the cooling system but to do it that way is definitely more difficult while making sure you don't break anything.

As a side note, if you forget to tighten the intercooler hose clamps the car will stall as soon as you get into boost... that was fun to deal with afterwards.

2009 C70 year round daily

·
Registered
2007 C70 Silver. Xenon. Dyneaudio.
1 Posts
Just picked up a "new to me" '07. Put in new factory floor mats and Bilstein shocks in the rear. Fronts are going in tomorrow.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
678 Posts
Just picked up a "new to me" '07. Put in new factory floor mats and Bilstein shocks in the rear. Fronts are going in tomorrow.
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
950 Posts
Reactions: Katz29er

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
top three words never heard at the Volvo dealership
Hehe....The XC40 goes to the dealer. The C70 goes to an indy shop.
Your suggestion still holds, just at a slightly lower rate ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Washed all the cars today...

Gave a wind deflector a nice cleaning...it was turning brown!

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Washed all the cars today...

Gave a wind deflector a nice cleaning...it was turning brown!

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Can I like that 3 times? One for each beauty in there.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rj240

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen!
Welcome.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Headed to the indy wrench tomorrow for oil change and inspection of the AC. IF we can address the AC snafu for minimal $$$, I might go for the trans fluid swap(80k miles).

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Headed to the indy wrench tomorrow for oil change and inspection of the AC. IF we can address the AC snafu for minimal $$$, I might go for the trans fluid swap(80k miles).
Well, it looks like topping off the coolant and replacing the fill valves might have done the trick for me! Cooling nicely now(but I'm not going to push it).
Since that turned out to be relatively inexpensive, I DID opt for the tranny fluid drain and fill. Can't say I notice a difference. Oil changed at the same time.
NOW, I find the front tires have been worn on the inside as a result of failing lower control armso_O
It was one year ago that the tires were ro-bal'd at the tire store and no mention of odd wear at that time(roughly 6k miles since). Looks like I'm getting tires next week AND having control arms replaced! Gonna ask the indy shop what all is involved as their estimate is higher than I would expect. Stay tuned!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Small update...got new Yoko Advan tires yesterday and will be scheduling the lower control arms replacement hopefully for this week. Seems pretty spendy according to the estimate; so I need to consult with the indy shop to see what all is involved. Not sure where the "markup" is; but it looks like about three hours labor??? Does that seem right???

·
Registered
72 Posts
To do 2 front lower control arms, 3 hours seems about right, and that may even be without alignment. I can look up the book time in about an hour or so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
looks like 3 hours with an alignment is about right. I am coming up with 1.8 to replace both sides using chiltons labor guide. And every shop has a different standard labor time for an alignment, so using my employer as an example, we'll say 1.2 for the alignment for a total of 3.

Edit: Icouldnt remember what year yours is, so I used my 09 for referencing the labor guide.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
looks like 3 hours with an alignment is about right. I am coming up with 1.8 to replace both sides using chiltons labor guide. And every shop has a different standard labor time for an alignment, so using my employer as an example, we'll say 1.2 for the alignment for a total of 3.

Edit: Icouldnt remember what year yours is, so I used my 09 for referencing the labor guide.

Thanks for that info. Ours is a '13...80k miles...seems a little "early" for control arms; but the indy wrench said the tires were wearing significantly and unevenly as a result of the "failure". I've never felt any of the "bumps" they said would also be an indication of failure(stopping/starting, etc).
By the bye, I drove though a Texas gully-washer today and the Yokos did just fine. Nice to have new rubber, even if it's a fairly pedestrian tire. Wait...can a tire be pedestrian?????

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thanks for that info. Ours is a '13...80k miles...seems a little "early" for control arms; but the indy wrench said the tires were wearing significantly and unevenly as a result of the "failure". I've never felt any of the "bumps" they said would also be an indication of failure(stopping/starting, etc).
By the bye, I drove though a Texas gully-washer today and the Yokos did just fine. Nice to have new rubber, even if it's a fairly pedestrian tire. Wait...can a tire be pedestrian?????
It's possible you need control arms, but when my parents got their C70 last spring, the tires were "cupping," wearing unevenly, and causing significant extraordinary road noise. They were told this is caused by the rear camber, and they could rotate and change tires more frequently, or get aftermarket adjustable rear camber arms.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When my bushings went out I only really noticed in the winter on patchy ice. It would jump a few inches to either side if I only found the ice with one side, which direction was a bit unpredictable too since it depended on which side I hit the ice with and whether I was accelerating, decelerating, or cruising. Never enough to cause loss of control, but I had to be ready to react. Getting new arms in there made a world of difference in the winter for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's possible you need control arms, but when my parents got their C70 last spring, the tires were "cupping," wearing unevenly, and causing significant extraordinary road noise. They were told this is caused by the rear camber, and they could rotate and change tires more frequently, or get aftermarket adjustable rear camber arms.
This!!! I also had this problem when I first got the car. If the wear is happening in the rear and causing noise, the adjustable control arms are the way to go. if there isn't much cupping or noise but the fronts seem to be wearing on the inside, the front toe is off. This could be a minor alignment issue, or the front end parts are worn out.

I fixed the rear end problem on mine 2 months after I bought it in 2015, I had put 10k on it in that time span and the rear tires cupped like you wouldn't believe. fast forward 5 years and that's when I found my entire front end needed attention (2 broken springs, torn bushings, and seized tie rods that not even the torch could free up). Handles like a dream now and my current tires wore evenly down to 3/32 and I am now looking to replace them and redo the entire rear as a couple bushings back there have recently gone out.

561 - 580 of 592 Posts