SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

501 - 504 of 504 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
why don't you try plasti-dip??, if you don't like how it looks you can always peel it off
Not sure about removing the trim piece as it is cracked(like a golfball hit it). Might give it a go if I get tired of looking at the crack.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
Today I finished modifying the last piece I needed to have everything ready to upgrade my front brakes to the 320 mm setup.

Last month, at my local junkyard, I found a set of 320mm calipers and one backing plate out of a 2009 C70 for only $65. I couldn't pass that opportunity, so I took them home.

While I ordered the new rotors and pads, I checked how much it cost the backing plate I was missing. Turns out it costs ~$45. Thanks to my cheapskate instincts, I remembered I had a 300mm backing plate which I replaced because it was bent and rubbed with the rotor.

Since 300 and 320mm backing plates are different, I started by straightening it on a anvil with a hammer. Next, I had to extend the distance between the upper and lower edges, (I flattened and re bent them) and then marked where I had to cut.

I used a dremel to cut both sides.

and then used a power drill with a wire wheel attachment to remove the loose paint and superficial rust.

And applied a few coats of spray paint to prevent any corrosion.

and here's all parts needed to complete the upgrade.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
Well, I tried to upgrade the front brakes last Tuesday, but failed miserably. I started with the left front wheel, loosened the 300mm caliper flexible line from the hard line, and there it was my first warning. the hard line didn't come off the flexible line fitting, I undid the nut all the way, the hard or flex line moved, but it didn't wanted to get out. after fighting it for a while, I finally pulled it apart. I tried to install the flex line with the 320mm caliper and it was impossible to thread-in the hard line nut into the flex line. The thread sizes are the same. The hard line nut seems to be cross threaded. After fighting with it for 3 hours and wasting 1 liter of brake fluid (filling the reservoir to avoid getting air in the lines) I tried to install the original caliper back. After trying 3 times (with terrible pain on my hands and fingers) the flex line threaded in and tightened completely. It didn't leak, I bled it. and reinstalled everything.

It was a very dissapointing experience......... Not sure if I should try again or leave it like that and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well, I tried to upgrade the front brakes last Tuesday, but failed miserably. I started with the left front wheel, loosened the 300mm caliper flexible line from the hard line, and there it was my first warning. the hard line didn't come off the flexible line fitting, I undid the nut all the way, the hard or flex line moved, but it didn't wanted to get out. after fighting it for a while, I finally pulled it apart. I tried to install the flex line with the 320mm caliper and it was impossible to thread-in the hard line nut into the flex line. The thread sizes are the same. The hard line nut seems to be cross threaded. After fighting with it for 3 hours and wasting 1 liter of brake fluid (filling the reservoir to avoid getting air in the lines) I tried to install the original caliper back. After trying 3 times (with terrible pain on my hands and fingers) the flex line threaded in and tightened completely. It didn't leak, I bled it. and reinstalled everything.

It was a very dissapointing experience......... Not sure if I should try again or leave it like that and be done with it.
Dang

501 - 504 of 504 Posts