SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
321 - 340 of 960 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It's all about the film you use. 30% windshield
10% all around.
No issues whatsoever.
Night is actually better visibility than day time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoh! Are you a politician or trader in some contraband or something

Too dark for me, at least from looking at the pictures. I must try being in one such car to see. Who knows, I might like it more.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yoh! Are you a politician or trader in some contraband or something

Too dark for me, at least from looking at the pictures. I must try being in one such car to see. Who knows, I might like it more.

it's not by choice Seti.

It is indeed dark enough from the outside can barely see through.

Yet from the inside you barely notice there's any tint on the windows. Some even think it OEM

In direct sunlight there's an issue of low angel haze from inside.
( feels that windows are dusty or not clean enough ) a bit annoying but no other choice.

I'm sure in South Africa it would be a bless to have.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
it's not by choice Seti.

It is indeed dark enough from the outside can barely see through.

Yet from the inside you barely notice there's any tint on the windows. Some even think it OEM

In direct sunlight there's an issue of low angel haze from inside.
( feels that windows are dusty or not clean enough ) a bit annoying but no other choice.

I'm sure in South Africa it would be a bless to have.

I might be stoned or robbed in South Africa with people thinking I'm either a politician who promised them goodies I didn't deliver on, or a gangster from a rival group stealing from their market, or simply that I'm loaded with cash, Rolex watches and nice girls and worthy to be robbed - Kidding.

But on a serious note, I won't be able to use the car at the Kruger National Park to see lions safely. I'll be forced to open the window to take photos of game, and in so doing, will be risking having my limb bitten off by a sneaky wild beast like a roof climbing leopard.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I might be stoned or robbed in South Africa with people thinking I'm either a politician who promised them goodies I didn't deliver on, or a gangster from a rival group stealing from their market, or simply that I'm loaded with cash, Rolex watches and nice girls and worthy to be robbed - Kidding.

But on a serious note, I won't be able to use the car at the Kruger National Park to see lions safely. I'll be forced to open the window to take photos of game, and in so doing, will be risking having my limb bitten off by a sneaky wild beast like a roof climbing leopard.

?
Just took this to show you how it looks at night / before sunrise.

This is from the inside without any sun.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
?
Just took this to show you how it looks at night / before sunrise.

This is from the inside without any sun.

Wow, it's normal and beautiful still from the inside.

Next time I'll be bolder and will go for such darker tinting

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It's all about the brand you choose.
Be very careful while selecting the film

What's yours? Maybe it's internationally available for our consideration down here

·
Registered
898 Posts
What's yours? Maybe it's internationally available for our consideration down here

It should be. "Solargard" saint gobain the same window manufacturer of the XC90 and most cars.
Be aware of the low angle haze. I'm not sure how that sits with you. Try it on one window preferably the passenger and see how it feels before you go full throttle

·
Registered
821 Posts
No new additions to the T8, but just enjoying it more and more every day. Here are a few latest pics, one of which is an homage to Douglas Adams and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
No new additions to the T8, but just enjoying it more and more every day. Here are a few latest pics, one of which is an homage to Douglas Adams and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
Stunning

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Beautiful as usual, SG1!

As for me, dropped off my XC90 at the dealership to install a replacement door panel to hopefully end the terrible rattling at a few lower frequencies.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Had a small piece of dichroic film from a leftover old DIY project and decided to make a road trip badge. The dichroic film makes for a "shimmering path" [wiki Bifröst] that connects from one realm to another. That and a play on the way people write polestar here as "p*"; we get "b*":

( The taillight profile looked more similar to that Honda Fit than a CR-V )

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Had a small piece of dichroic film from a leftover old DIY project and decided to make a road trip badge. The dichroic film makes for a "shimmering path" [wiki Bifröst] that connects from one realm to another. That and a play on the way people write polestar here as "p*"; we get "b*":

Cardstock template from existing OE badge:

Cut and grind to match curved surface of badge:

Polish the curved surface to return the gloss & clarity

Dichroic film

Metal frame for the badge; matching the folds to the template:

Cutting "b" and "*" from vinyl wrap material:

Skipping many steps, including sealing the gaps between the acrylic and sheet aluminum, plus sanding the aluminum edges, and adding double sided tape

( The taillight profile looked more similar to that Honda Fit than a CR-V )
You guys are the gifted ones. Yours will be unique

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
You guys are the gifted ones. Yours will be unique
Thanks for the kind words. It was motivated by trying to find a doable DIY solution of placing the motif/design behind a clear plastic while at the same time being able to affix it with double-sided tape without worrying about the motif/design from peeling off from the tape's adhesive. Having the sheet metal take on the tape while keeping the motif/design on the plastic and clamping the plastic with the sheet metal via its sides seemed like a reasonable solution.

It was a fun design challenge.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It was a fun design challenge.
What a cool idea!

A couple of pictures from the original post don't show up for me, but I'd love to see what the finished design looks like on the back of the vehicle ?.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
A couple of pictures from the original post don't show up for me, but I'd love to see what the finished design looks like on the back of the vehicle ?.
Thank you. Odd. I re-tested them again by viewing from another browser without my google photos (where they are hosted) credentials. I see that some of them are missing. I'll see if I can figure it out.

I posted a DIY thread just so I can tweak the settings as needed without cluttering this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?576853-DIY-wedge-shaped-emblem

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
@satrya Could you post a close-up of the custom badge so I (and everyone else) can admire your creativity? :)
A closeup would reveal the DIY nature of it (i.e. not so clean lines, slightly larger frame compared to OE badge, etc.) :)
Build thread here; 7 relatively straightforward steps:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?576853-DIY-wedge-shaped-emblem

Not sure if the google photos setting are correctly set; you might not see them. Note that the slight taper/rounding of the OE badge surface is not very obvious from these pictures. But if you place a flat piece with the exact outer dimensions next to an OE badge, its taper becomes very evident.

Light reflecting from my hand seem to create a horizontal line breaking the "*" for some reason:

321 - 340 of 960 Posts