SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
261 - 280 of 960 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Its all an illusion when compared to the 20".

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't know why Volvo doesn't include the 22s as standard for the R-Design, they make the SUV look sportier. Don't get me wrong the standard wheels look great too, but the 22's just fills up the wheel well enough to give it that look.

I'm waiting to put them back on.. still on my winter 18" setup right now... Damn snow and cold.....

Love this look!!

I bought 2 rims.....need another 2 and tires and I'll have them on mine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
Interesting. I'll have to try that.

My guess is that the RF signal between the key and the area where the key icon is can be disrupted. I assume the key fob buttons transmit in the regular remote control frequency (~400 ish MHz?), but I'm not sure what frequency the "key fob presence" signal is. It may make sense to only have 1 frequency to minimize the number of antenna / RF communication modules in the key fob. The question is, how much of the interference leading to "key not found" is due to passive interference or active interference. If it is the latter, which RF modules interfere? (BTLE, 2.4GHz wifi, 5GHz wifi, FM, AM, NFC, ...)

My regular use case is to keep the key in my pocket closest to the center console, and not where the key icon on the center console is. With that, and with the qi charger pad on the front bin of the center console (obstructing the 12V DC outlet), I only occasionally get "key not found" message. But one time, with the sliding cover (for the center console) covering the 2 cupholder positions (and thus covering the key icon), I got a "key not found" message when another phone sat on top of the sliding cover. I imagine I can replicate this scenario even if the object on top of the sliding cover is a phone-sized slab of metal (i.e. passive interference).

Also, should the battery in the key fob itself have depleted enough, perhaps it might also increase the chance of perceived interference by the vehicle's key fob proximity detection.

In my case, keeping the key as far as a pocket outside the center console works most of the time, but perhaps the qi charger, other phone, and other devices with RF bands may interfere and occasionally make the key detector think the key is missing. I wonder if in your case, the cable that supplies power to the qi charger also contributes to the interference? I use a very short usb cable, as can be seen here:

That way, the cable stays in a small local area right under the pad:
Thank you very much for detailed answer. I am using the same set up, exactly shown on the pic. The key fob battery is recently replaced. I will keep the key in my pocket and see what happens. I will given an update in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Thank you very much for detailed answer. I am using the same set up, exactly shown on the pic. The key fob battery is recently replaced. I will keep the key in my pocket and see what happens. I will given an update in a few weeks.
I have the Apple AirPods which I confirmed interferes with my Key FOB and the proximity detection with the car.

I used to carry the AirPod case in the same pocket as my Key FOB but no more.

The AirPod case will eventually allow for wireless charging of the case and also charges the individual AirPods.

I figure the wireless charging or proximity to the battery inhibits the Key FOB from working. Other devices that support wireless charging and/or have a battery may do likewise. Of course, Volvo has a warning about not carrying a cellular phone or other devices together with the Key FOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
450 Posts
The AirPod case will eventually allow for wireless charging of the case and also charges the individual AirPods.
Slightly off topic, but your current AirPod case won't allow for wireless charging. Apple will supposedly be coming out with a new charging case when they release their own charging pad. That new case will allow for wireless charging on a pad, but your current case is not capable of / does not include wireless charging.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Bummer, but Thanks! There went my theory about wireless charging being the culprit - so must be the battery itself causing the issue with the Key FOB.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I don't know why Volvo doesn't include the 22s as standard for the R-Design, they make the SUV look sportier. Don't get me wrong the standard wheels look great too, but the 22's just fills up the wheel well enough to give it that look.
X2. But I'm a little biased to these 22s!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have the Apple AirPods which I confirmed interferes with my Key FOB and the proximity detection with the car.
Slightly off topic, but your current AirPod case won't allow for wireless charging.
Bummer, but Thanks! There went my theory about wireless charging being the culprit - so must be the battery itself causing the issue with the Key FOB.
I suppose the takeaway message is with many more devices transmitting and receiving RF energy in many frequencies, plus the many (metal) objects that can passively block some RF energy, the key fob - transceiver (in the center console) will have to fight with a lot of noise. I wouldn't mind a physical ignition key at this point; maybe hidden just for backup.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I really should have read my manual more closely, never knew that they recommended against it. I learned this the hard way when my car would never unlock or lock if I had my phone + keys in same pocket or bag.

I figure the wireless charging or proximity to the battery inhibits the Key FOB from working. Other devices that support wireless charging and/or have a battery may do likewise. Of course, Volvo has a warning about not carrying a cellular phone or other devices together with the Key FOB.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm jealous! Where did you find a Prancing Moose badge that still says "Volvo"? The guy who created the stickers got a trademark infringement notice from Volvo and had to stop selling anything that said "Volvo" on it :(
I bought a few from him back in February. I was just waiting for warmer weather before applying the stickers.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ricer at Heart

I don't deny my Fast and Furious tendencies, even though I try to control them as much as I can. But I had an extra hardwired USB connection under the dash from my dashcam install that I wanted to use. Today I installed some programmable LED lights under the front seats. They are stuck on with 3M tape and cost about $20 on Amazon Canada. My kids and I are getting a kick out them--I guess we're easily amused :D.

It comes with a remote control that allows you to select from several different solid colours, 4 different flashing/changing colour programs, and 4 different sound control programs.

Because I powered it to the Massaging Seats fuse in the fuse box, the lights turn on automatically as soon as the door is unlocked, making entry in the dark pretty cool. The lights are directed down so I don't think they are very visible from outside, but I haven't had a chance to really test it at night to see, yet.

Here's a video that shows one of the sound control programs working:

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't deny my Fast and Furious tendencies, even though I try to control them as much as I can. But I had an extra hardwired USB connection under the dash from my dashcam install that I wanted to use. Today I installed some programmable LED lights under the front seats. They are stuck on with 3M tape and cost about $20 on Amazon Canada. My kids and I are getting a kick out them--I guess we're easily amused :D.

It comes with a remote control that allows you to select from several different solid colours, 4 different flashing/changing colour programs, and 4 different sound control programs.

Because I powered it to the Massaging Seats fuse in the fuse box, the lights turn on automatically as soon as the door is unlocked, making entry in the dark pretty cool. The lights are directed down so I don't think they are very visible from outside, but I haven't had a chance to really test it at night to see, yet.

Here's a video that shows one of the sound control programs working:

Simply fantastic man
Can't express enough how neat the installation and the location of these lights.

Ive noticed something but I'll let you drive it at night first and give your feedback about it and then I'll tell you what've noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

261 - 280 of 960 Posts