Didn’t have the telltale whistle, but figured it would be good preventative maintenance to replace the PCV cover/ trap thing since I’m @ 113K. Access to the those back screws under the cowl near the firewall sure sucks. I had a more mechanically inclined friend help and we were able to knock it out in under an hour. Just have to find a hose clamp tomorrow to replace one clamp on the little rubber elbow. The assortment of swivels, snakes, and extensions at our disposal sure was handy.
Did transmission fluid drain and fill (12 quarts), changed the oil and replaced the brake pads and rotors. It was a busy Saturday!
One interesting thing with the front brake job was that the hex bolts that hold the calipers to the bracket were an H9, not H7 like most of the videos state. I'm not sure if that is a 2013 specific thing for the XC60 or what, but it was odd. I didn't have an H9 socket to use, so I had to use an allen wrench.
For the rear brakes, it was my first time replacing the rotors (currently at around 75k miles and replaced the pads previously at 40k miles). Taking the caliper bracket bolts off of the back was incredibly difficult with thread lock they used from factory. If you don't have air tools that will fit in that space (I don't) make sure you have a good cheater pipe to use with your ratchet wrench because you will definitely need it.
Finally got the new wheels mounted.
The 20" sport wheels look damn good in the city, but so not right hours and miles into a rugged mountain road.
Leda wheels, optional 18's for circa 15-16 model year XC's. At the moment, they have the oem tire size so the overall circumstance is correct, but very soon it'll be getting a larger set of AT rubber.
(guy on ebay lost his butt selling and shipping these, but, oh well)
Even just this little change makes it ride a bit smoother, that extra sidewall helps over the bumps lol
Yesterday, I was vacuuming my XC60 and found that the carpet UNDER the driver’s floor mat to be moderately wet. That made me think that I had a clogged sunroof drain so I opened the hood, disassembled the cowl plastics, removed the wipers, and finally was able to get a look at the sunroof drain which seemed to be functioning just fine. I vacuumed up all the leaves and debris that I encountered along the way too. I even vacuumed the dead bugs out of pop-up fabric wind deflector at the front of the sunroof.
After that investigation proved fruitless, I unbolted the front of the driver’s seat, removed a bunch of plastic trim around the door, and fully removed the driver’s footwell portion of the carpet. Everything was dry underneath the carpet piece as was the foam on the backside of the carpet. I brought the carpet piece inside, used a shop vac to suck out as much moisture as possible, and then left the carpet piece in front of a box fan overnight.
Today, I put the fully dry carpet piece back in the XC and reassembled everything that I had disassembled yesterday. After that was done, I used the Volvo leather care kit to clean and condition all of the seats. I hadn’t done that in at least a year and I could tell. The seats were much softer post treatment.
After all that was done, I drove it to the trail head, ran 7 miles, opened the tailgate, and sat down on the rear bumper/ cargo floor to cool down and think about how the carpet got wet. I guess we’ll see what happens after the next rainstorm.