SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know very little about any Volvo after the 240. The evolution of the Volvo from the 444 to the 240 is pretty simple. It occured to me that the newest ones are now 13 years old. Before you say drive it for ever, think about how many 544/122/140 series are being driven 400-500 miles a week. Eventually the 240s will join that group. I consider my 240 wagon ideal (though a bit more HP would be welcome) with it's 5 speed, RWD, carrying capacity and relative simplicity. Are there any newer models I would enjoy?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: what comes after 240??? (ncvolvobob)

Yup.<p><A HREF="http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/rp/04v70r.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.canadiandriver.com/...r.htm</A><p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
212 Posts

Bob:<br>You might enjoy the 740 series. Mechanically, it's essentially the same as the 240, with a number of refinements. That series led to the 940, also not too much changed. These series were available with normally aspirated engines, turbos, and turbodiesels (rare). These are the last of the rear-wheel-drive models. Their interiors are exponentially more comfortable than those in 240's. Their foam headliners require periodic replacement, and Volvo used a 1/8 inch thick material that is a little hard to find (IPD carries it). You CANNOT use regular 1/4 inch headliner material in these cars, since the additional thickness will cause problems with the sunroof (most of these cars have one, it seems). The 740 seems to have been developed specifically with the American market in mind; it's a lot less quirky inside, much more Detroit-like than the 240.<p>Then came the 850 series, which was front-wheel-drive. Nice cars, and getting very affordable, though they have their quirks. Their air-conditioning systems are prone to evaporator failure, and the repair is expensive, like $1300-1400. The evap is buried in the dash so deep that the entire dash must be removed for evap replacement. Also, their ABS modules are troublesome, though there is a guy on the West Coast who can repair the module for much less money than Volvo wants for a new module. Aside from that, figure on the usual problems of front-wheel-drive, like high repair costs on transmission woes. There's not a lot of Volvo character when you drive one of these in stock condition; they're sort of Taurus-like in their handling, etc. They have a transverse-mounted inline 5-cylinder engine, which is a bit smoother than a four. Turbos were available.<p>After that, you get into the current Volvo series, which don't interest me as much as older ones, except for the V70XC, a.k.a. Cross Country. That's a nice car.<p>Hope this helps a bit.<br>

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: what comes after 240??? (danemodsandy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>danemodsandy</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bob:<p>Hope this helps a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes! Nice summary! I just looked at a 960. Will pass it up for various reasons but one thing I noticed, as you said, you could be sitting in just about any car. It just doesn't have the Volvo feel and simplicity. I will stick with the 240; compared to the newer Volvos it seems like an oversized VW bug (oh so basic) but I know them...I love them.<p>Although, if I ever win the lottery, I will definitely add a Cross Country to my "fleet". Fully loaded.

·
Registered
80 Posts

I agree. I love my 1991 240 sedan, but it IS getting old and the newer models have features and less rattles and are more comfortable.<p>I drove a 1996 850 Turbo a few months ago and someday, I might sell my 240 and replace it with one of those!<p>- Brickboy240

1 - 6 of 6 Posts