SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have Geico for my insurance on all my vehicles. And I am pissed with their slick stuff of, "15% off because covid19-we give back." Well I got the discount, then my renewal policy just went up 18% the following statement.
So I called and dealt with their BS about claims going up in my area and etc. And I have a perfect record with them for years and haven't changed addresses with them.
Long story short. They don't have stated value, which I want to put on my 95 T-5R and 00 V70r.

Neighbor has Grundy insurance, so I completed the information online last weekend.
Been emailing the broker with my information on the volvos (we can insurance those for you sir), great then I will send him information of my two work enclosed trailers too.( We can insurance those for you too). All going good. Liking the prices. And then I said let's throw in my 2017 Chevrolet 2500 too and see what I can get for more discounts and have everything with stated value.

Pricing comes back again. Truck is double what I pay now.. Each car will be $350 a year. So I email back. Let's not do the truck, I will stick with Geico.. He replies next day. "We can't insurance your volvos sir."
Me- why not?
Insurance broker- We have to include the truck.
Me - come down $2400 a year you can.
Insurance broker - we can't. That's the best we can do. Insurance truck with us and volvos can be insured. Or we can't do anything for you. And our classic car dept says your volvos are not classic.
Me( I haven't emailed back because I am pissed)

So who do you volvo buddies use?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I got a decent quote on my 850 from Hagerty. Comparable to what I was paying with Progressive but better benefits and more perks and guaranteed value, as well as custom annual mileage (mine is just 2k mi/yr)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Jay that email exchange is insane. A few years back one of my friends who has Volvos and is an agent started doing our insurance and she switched us from Geico to Traveler's.....premium went down a LOT.

Now we are working on moving the T-5R, 850R, and Frost T5 over to a Hagerty policy. I've talked to a Hagerty rep in person at a trade show (since they also offer insurance for the toys in my industry) and everything seemed to line up with what I was seeing online and what my agent was telling me. Also a stated value policy doesn't really mean anything; you need a guaranteed value policy. That is what Hagerty does. Our agent is assigning values based on EU pricing and they are happy to write a policy for that. We won't have a mileage cap on our policy since we only really use them as GT cars and they are fine with that too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have farmers who can also underwrite for Hagerty with a twist.

When I bought a $6K Volvo for 4 times the price that a comparison doesn't exist in the US, Farmers told me the company had no problem reviewing European prices as a reference and would pay according to those prices..... I was sold.

Further, when the cars are in storage and not driven, Farmers can adjust the coverage's to provide additional savings. (I.e: Layaway coverage which Hagerty does not offer)

My experience has been positive so far which includes couple of claims.

·
Super Moderator
8,510 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hagerty. I have used them for 15 years for my non Volvo classic.
Had 2 claims.
1. The front hood latch failed @ 30mph. Didn't cost a penny to repair.
2. A ladder fell from the wall on to the fender. Didn't cost a penny to repair and they flat bedded it to the shop.
Verry pleased. And because I have towing on that one, it includes towing on all my cars.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have farmers who can also underwrite for Hagerty with a twist.

When I bought a $6K Volvo for 4 times the price that a comparison doesn't exist in the US, Farmers told me the company had no problem reviewing European prices as a reference and would pay according to those prices..... I was sold.

Further, when the cars are in storage and not driven, Farmers can adjust the coverage's to provide additional savings. (I.e:
Layaway coverage which Hagerty does not offer)
My experience has been positive so far which includes couple of claims.
Not true. I removed liability coverage because I will not be driving the car this year and it is in storage and is fully covered. I insure directly with Hagerty.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
I went with Hagerty direct last year. I think it costs around $400 a year and I think I put the guaranteed value at $15k, lol.

·
Registered
795 Posts
So I have Geico for my insurance on all my vehicles. And I am pissed with their slick stuff of, "15% off because covid19-we give back." Well I got the discount, then my renewal policy just went up 18% the following statement.
So I called and dealt with their BS about claims going up in my area and etc. And I have a perfect record with them for years and haven't changed addresses with them.
Long story short. They don't have stated value, which I want to put on my 95 T-5R and 00 V70r.

Neighbor has Grundy insurance, so I completed the information online last weekend.
Been emailing the broker with my information on the volvos (we can insurance those for you sir), great then I will send him information of my two work enclosed trailers too.( We can insurance those for you too). All going good. Liking the prices. And then I said let's throw in my 2017 Chevrolet 2500 too and see what I can get for more discounts and have everything with stated value.

Pricing comes back again. Truck is double what I pay now.. Each car will be $350 a year. So I email back. Let's not do the truck, I will stick with Geico.. He replies next day. "We can't insurance your volvos sir."
Me- why not?
Insurance broker- We have to include the truck.
Me - come down $2400 a year you can.
Insurance broker - we can't. That's the best we can do. Insurance truck with us and volvos can be insured. Or we can't do anything for you.
And our classic car dept says your volvos are not classic.
Me( I haven't emailed back because I am pissed)

So who do you volvo buddies use?
According to Hagerty your Volvo's are not collector or classic. !979 or older and cannot be a daily driver.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to Hagerty your Volvo's are not collector or classic. !979 or older and cannot be a daily driver.
Yeah that's what I saw on Hagerty website too..
I did a online request for someone at Farmers to contact me. That was over a week ago and heard nothing back.
One neighbor uses Safeco, which I never heard of. But he has it for his 94 Ford Lighting..

·
Registered
149 Posts
I owned a 1998 Jaguar 6 years ago and could get classic insurance for it, but I can't get classic insurance my 1997 850

All to do with desirability and the numbers left

Oddly enough I could have insured a T5 on Classic insurance and for less that the GLT costs

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
I owned a 1998 Jaguar 6 years ago and could get classic insurance for it, but I can't get classic insurance my 1997 850

All to do with desirability and the numbers left

Oddly enough I could have insured a T5 on Classic insurance and for less that the GLT costs
My dad's Frost T5 was the cheapest car to insure on our normal policy. Or at least it was; rates changed this year and my 850R may now be in the lead for cheapest car to insure. The NAs are in a much worse risk pool because they're mostly cheap and being bought up by people who don't care about cars and just want "basic transportation." The turbo cars are cheap until someone crashes one and then they're $$$$ for a few years. A few years ago the rates on my T-5R doubled. They're finally starting to come back down. I can only assume that somebody crashed one and got a huge settlement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had Grundy insurance all of my classic Chevys SSs and when they added a late model European plan a few years ago my 06 SL55 was covered under a Classic Agreed Value policy. I tried to add my T5R wagon but they did not consider it a classic or exotic. Tried again in 2019, with some documentation, articles and comps and they allowed it. I doubt they would cover standard 850s but i would guess Rs would be allowed as my T5R was.

I did have a hail claim on the T5R a few years ago under Farmers standard policy. They wanted to salvage the car out as their calculations had it valued as a garden variety 850 ($2400). It took a bit of back and forth and again, photos of the car, magazine articles and old listings before they came back with a baseline value of a T5R wagon at $11k.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I better call them again and inquire. That is what I was told in 2017 by Hagerty.
I just renewed the policy last month. Do not have liability so I cannot drive on the road. In storage in my garage and fully insured for damage and theft.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
It may depend what state you're in. I doubt I could do that in MA; liability is required to keep the reg active. Although it might be cheaper to cancel my reg every fall than carry liability year round lol.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So did the online quote with Hagerty.
The T-5R with a value at $15k would be $556 a year, full coverage.
The 00 V70r with a value at $10k would be $498 a year, full coverage.
That's about $200 a year per vehicle more, then Grundy first came too, but..
Geico with out full coverage now I am paying $800 per vehicle and only NADA value ( which is like nothing because we can't get any love)

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
So did the online quote with Hagerty.
The T-5R with a value at $15k would be $556 a year, full coverage.
The 00 V70r with a value at $10k would be $498 a year, full coverage.
That's about $200 a year per vehicle more, then Grundy first came too, but..
Geico with out full coverage now I am paying $800 per vehicle and only NADA value ( which is like nothing because we can't get any love)
Is that with a multi-vehicle quote? The Hagerty quotes r0x4nn3 (my insurance agent) has written up for me there is a liability section independent from the cars and then only the insurance on the cars themselves is broken out by car. So basically we can have as many cars as we want on the policy and the price hardly changes unless the value of the most expensive car on the policy changes.

·
Registered
795 Posts
In CT, when I first canceled liability, Hagerty sent a notice to the CT DMV.
The DMV sent me a notice of a fine or return the plates. I called the DMV and they said if Hagerty sent them a statement saying the car was never uninsured (except for liability) at that time I would not have to pay the fine and I did not have to turn in the plates.
The car is in storage, insured for damage and theft and is registered with plates. To put on the road I would need to call Hagerty, insure for liability and on the road I go.
The notice of the fine from the DMV did not say anything about this. Only when I called did they tell me.
A simple phone call may surprise you. Maybe not.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts