SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer is offering me a spectacular deal if I change from my standard Momentum 18" 5 Spoke Silver Alloy Wheels and move to the upgraded 20" 5 Spoke Matte Tech Black Alloy Wheels. Do you all have any input on what I can expect wrt ride or anything else from making this change?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dealer is offering me a spectacular deal if I change from my standard Momentum 18" 5 Spoke Silver Alloy Wheels and move to the upgraded 20" 5 Spoke Matte Tech Black Alloy Wheels. Do you all have any input on what I can expect wrt ride or anything else from making this change?

Thanks in advance.

The best advice to is drive another car with same wheel on different road pavements and see the difference. The 18" will be more comfortable.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
18 will also be easier to mount snow chains in snowing days.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The best advice to is drive another car with same wheel on different road pavements and see the difference. The 18" will be more comfortable.
What are the benefits of larger wheels? I imagine there will perhaps be less sway and body roll on turns and curves?

OTOH the ride might be a bit rougher but will either be particularly louder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Performance and handling go up with a larger rim and low profile tires... sacrificing comfort. However the 20” momentum wheel still has a lot of sidewall. So I think itll be the perfect balance between performance and comfort.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Performance and handling go up with a larger rim and low profile tires... sacrificing comfort. However the 20” momentum wheel still has a lot of sidewall. So I think itll be the perfect balance between performance and comfort.

I imagine that a lot of people here have the 20” wheels that Im looking at, especially since Inscriptions come standard with them. They can’t be a bad choice or Volvo wouldn’t offer that?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'd totally stick w/ the 18s". Must be cushier, cheaper to replace, cheaper snow chains, etc. Maybe buy the 20's and resell them?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I switched to 20's from 18's on my wifes 2016 and we really can't tell a difference in ride quality. The stance is sharper and the speedo is dead on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
20s on the XC90 are not aggresive at all. Standard on all R-Designs and Inscription models. Please don’t listen to lames who say a smaller wheel is better, with a huge inner tube type tire.

The diamond cut 20” wheel/tire is perfect for the Momentum trim.

·
Registered
48 Posts
20s on the XC90 are not aggresive at all. Standard on all R-Designs and Inscription models. Please don’t listen to lames who say a smaller wheel is better, with a huge inner tube type tire.

The diamond cut 20” wheel/tire is perfect for the Momentum trim.

Couldn't have said it better !

·
Registered
110 Posts

What I really dont like is the look of tiny brake rotors with large wheels, but this can be mitigated by having a larger face on the wheel, but the brakes on the XC90 are fairly big so it looks alright even with 22s, especially if you have a T8

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They look so good!!!!!!!!! I gotta do it!!

My car now:

How it will look with the new wheels:

·
Registered
169 Posts
They look so good!!!!!!!!! I gotta do it!!

My car now:

How it will look with the new wheels:

Yup, thats the wheel for you.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
that's a cute combination of ad hom attack and just another opinion, which, like aholes, are readily avail just like these 20, which I have on my momentum.

My "opinion" is 20s give the XC a harsher ride like just like your equally lame thinking that a 6000 lb truck has any semblance of performance and handling. What is it performing? Chicane on the way to drop off the kids? Cornering through your local cloverleaf interchange? GTF outta here.

OP, I'll take your 18s for $400 shipped.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I’m sure you’ll take free wheels!

I am open to serious offers though.....they are in NC if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Probably the most important difference appears if you go off-road. When offroading wheels are the most important thing. The low profile of 20" renders the car unable to deal with any slight difficulty, no matter the AWD, car height, etc.

Why does anybody buy a SUV that cannot be taken out of the tarmac? If you want "performance" a SUV is not the car, and Volvo is not the make.

·
Registered
760 Posts
No brainer ... do it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
that's a cute combination of ad hom attack and just another opinion, which, like aholes, are readily avail just like these 20, which I have on my momentum.

My "opinion" is 20s give the XC a harsher ride like just like your equally lame thinking that a 6000 lb truck has any semblance of performance and handling. What is it performing? Chicane on the way to drop off the kids? Cornering through your local cloverleaf interchange? GTF outta here.

Lil boy, I ride on air suspension with 22s. Its not my fault that you don’t understand the difference in performance of a 22” wheel with an adjustable air suspension versus a 18” wheel on a leaf spring suspension. That “performance” you lame! Throw a rock in a pack of dogs and one will yelp.

Funny you exposed yourself to be goofy af. Smh

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Probably the most important difference appears if you go off-road. When offroading wheels are the most important thing. The low profile of 20" renders the car unable to deal with any slight difficulty, no matter the AWD, car height, etc.

Why does anybody buy a SUV that cannot be taken out of the tarmac? If you want "performance" a SUV is not the car, and Volvo is not the make.
We bought our XC90 because it is a work vehicle that allows us to fit our furniture samples in the back while still being a comfortable vehicle on our long drives. We often need to go on 3-5 hour drives. The seats are the best in the business and the B&W system is one of the best. We don’t go off road and we live in NC so chains or snow tires are not an issue.

While we don’t expect it to be a performance vehicle if we can minimize body roll on turns and curves, cloverleafs etc, we’d be happy. For everyday driving we prefer our new S60 or our small convertible.

I think one of the strengths of the XC90 is that one can go off road if that is their need or you can simply use it as a luxury vehicle with a lot of storage.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Who tf is off roading in a XC90? In my years on this forum, I’ve never seen a serious post or any questions about off roading a XC90.

You drive a Rubicon off road, not a Volvo XC90. Seriously

1 - 20 of 42 Posts