SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know what people here drive before their C30. Chime in whether it was a Volvo or other make/model.

I'll be likely crossing over from Volkswagen in 2013 when my TDI Golf lease expires :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My first car was an fc aka 87 rx7 base 5 speed manual. Then I drove the family cars for a while

94 dodge shadow, I hated this car
2001 Toyota Avalon, don't like it

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've ordered a C30 R-Design, but it's not due to arrive until May.

My current car is a 2005 Saab 9-2X Linear. This is the "Saabaru," the car that was a rebadged Subaru Impreza from the time when GM owned Saab and also a 40% stake in Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru's parent company. As a naturally aspirated car, there's not much to be done for power without ridiculous expense, so it's only got a header and muffler. I've remapped the drive-by-wire throttle response curve using RomRaider, but that's about it. The suspension is another story though:

- I've replaced wheels, tires, springs, struts, and sway bars.
- I've added bracing.
- I've upgraded the transmission mount and torque stay (GroupN) and some of the suspension bushings.
- I've changed to STI aluminum sedan lower control arms in the front (wider track, more caster)
- I've upgraded to WRX front brakes and "H6" rear brakes, all with Hawk HPS pads
- i installed a short-shofter and stiffer shofter bushings

There's some other miscellany that I'm forgetting, but the end result is that is handles quite well. I've had it out at the track (Sears Point) with NASA. One of the instructors, a Miata time-trialler, commented on how well it handled. I was really pleased to hear that from someone whose handling standards are highly calibrated. Here's a picture from the first time I took it out:

I've also had:

- 1966 Volvo 122S
- 1965 Mustang
- 1970 Saab 99
- 1972 Saab 99
- 1973 Ford Thuunderbird (we cut the roof off to go to the beach one summer)
- 1978 Saab 99 Turbo
- A bunch of motorcycles. The pick of the littter, an MV Agusta F4 312R.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Jesus Christ! Nice list of cars

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had some shop cars too, but didn't include them.

1965 Saab 96 (2-stroke)
1979 Saab 900 Turbo
1976 Saab 99
1973 Saab 95

and our LeMons car, also a 1979 Saab 900 Turbo.

If you see a theme there, it's because I used to be a partner in a Saab repair business. I was head mechanic/shop manager.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I see wow. So what made you go to this c30 besides looks?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, for one thing, Saab went bankrupt.

Since you mentioned it, the car had to look good. Check. Bonus points for not looking like a boy-racer car.

I was looking for smaller than what I've got, since mostly it's just me, commuting. Check.

I wanted more power. My current car makes at crank what my bike does at the back wheel. Check.

I wanted handling. The R-Design handles well: Not quite as well as my Linear currently does, but much better than the Linear started out. I can work with this. Check.

I wanted a three-door. I'm tall enough that most five-door models have the B-pillar right beside my head. I don't like the shoulder harness mouint being ahead of my shoulder. We're good here. Check.

Seats are comfortable, with better lateral support than what I've got. Check.

I didn't want to *completely* lose utility. This is not particularly good at carrying stuff. Can't check that box. We'll call it marginal, at best. I'd have thrown utility completely out the window it the power and handling were good enough, but cars in that realm ... well, on to the last point.

Value. Some of the other cars I considered were significantly more money.

What I'm giving up:

The utility. I can fit a lot of stuff in the back. Subaru doesn't produce a real wagon on the Impreza chassis any more, and I don't like the newest wagons on the Legacy chassis. Best looking was a couple of years ago. Newest looks too boxy.

Back seat room. I never sit back there, so it's not that *I* am giving that up. Sorry, passengers.

AWD. It's nice. At an HPDE at Sears Point, in pouring rain, I was passing Porsches and Corvettes like they were stopped for a picnic. Once it dried it was a different story, but it is nice. If the C30 came in AWD, I'm not sure I'd go for it though. Power loss when driving all four wheels is greater, and I'm not so sure about the Haldex system. I don't think it's worse than what I've got, since it's got open diffs at both ends, but I was considering a WRX LSD for the back. Anyway, no more mods for that car.

Probably more answer than anyone cares about, but that's the bulk of it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wanted a three-door. I'm tall enough that most five-door models have the B-pillar right beside my head.
That was one of the major reasons for me. I came from a lot of Japanese cars, mostly Civics 2 doors and Legacys 4 and 5 doors.

·
Registered
473 Posts
MB C36 (wiring harness issues)
MB G500 SWB (still with us)
MB G500 LWB (electrical harikari)
MB G55 (ate its own tranny)
Cayenne GTS (sold to the dealer thankfully - electrical problems)
XC90V8 (going strong)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow lots of nice cars on peoples lists. I'm coming from a line of Volkswagen vehicles an itching for a Volvo since 2005.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I considered Volkswagen, but not for very long. I don't find them to particlaurly good looking (not all of my criteria are logical - some are shallow and superficial) and have heard too many stories of unreliability of vehicles from VAG. They're probably unfair, but I tend to keep things for the long haul, so I can't say it wasn't a concern.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I come from a Volvo 960 Wagon (3.0l, 204 hp, slushbox).

·
Registered
230 Posts
1989 Toyota Camry V6, she was called "old faithful". Wasnt so faithful at the end...

Suspension was shot, only 5 cylinders were working and would only fire up 50% of the time... def time to upgrade lol.

Sold her as a winter beater for $500. She owed me nothing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
3rd generation VW Jetta MT Trek.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't laugh, traded in an '07 S60R on my 2010 "r design". The S60 hurt my teeth the ride was so hard [even on "comfort" setting]. The C30 handles better, and after a software upgrade [Polestar thru Volvo]. Eurosport exhaust and some tuning, I have a rocketship more capable than the S60 R. Oh, and 26 mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I traded an 04 CTS for my C30. I had an 03 SAAB 9-3 before the CTS. The SAAB was not a very reliable car--I had to get rid of it. The CTS was a decent car but drank gas. So far I really like the C30--it is quick gets decent milage(compared to the CTS) and has been trouble free.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Directly before the C30 I had an '02 Toyota Echo (manual everything)

1st car: 1976 244DL (totaled, by a schmuck)
1982 244DL (sold)
1988 240DL (sold)
2001 Hyundai Elantra (totaled, fell asleep; thanks airbags)
1999 Plymouth Breeze (wife wrecked, guy stopped short trying to do insurance fraud)
1990 Subaru Legacy wagon (traded in on Frontier)
2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab (still have)
2002 Toyota Echo (sold)
1999 V70 (traded in on XC90)
2007 XC90 3.2(Wife's)
2010 C30 (My Daily Driver)
1968 1800S (restoring, slowly)

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You just had to get a p1800 didn't you Aaron. Lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
You just had to get a p1800 didn't you Aaron. Lol

I've had it for 3.5yrs and wanted one since I was 4yrs old.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts