SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened a couple days ago while in route with about 6 gal of oil to be recycled. Was driving the speed limit and was wondering why this guy was driving in the turn lane in the middle of a 2 way street, until I realized he was planning to cut right in front of me at the last minute. I came to a stop and about 6 quarts of fluid flew all over my center console/rear seats/and most of it in my carpet. Guy was under the influence of what I believe was meth. Chased him and he was tweaking and completely oblivious of what he had just done. My wagon would’ve plowed straight right through his old crappy Toyota had I been 5 ft closer. I don’t really care about having to completely tear apart my car and cleaning it, more the fact that low lives like this drive everyday on our streets where our parents, kids, wives, drive. Also that when I chased him and chewed him out he could’ve easily had a gun. Be safe out there and slow for people who are driving out of control. I should’ve slowed seeing his speed in the center lane and let him pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
OMD. I HAVE FIVE five quart jugs to recycle. I think I’m going to tie them down in a box in the XC...
So sorry!!

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Damn that sucks so bad to have to clean all that oil.

That's why I get the oil catch bins that are enclosed with the screw knob drain stop thingy. I also put a bit of gasket sealer on the actual protruding drain spout threads and then screw that cap on, cause if you fill them all the way up they can leak a little from there. Plus, the petroleum oil breaks down that plastic cap over time and it eventually cracks allowing oil to seep and drip. By that time I usually throw it in the recycling bin and get a new one since they are fairly cheap.

Once that gasket sealer wears out, I'll wrap paper towel around that spout and put a rubber glove over it. Or wrap masking tape around the paper towel. Any extra steps to help contain that crap in the event of an emergency such as yours.

And, when I had to borrow a vehicle to take my oil bin to empty (at the auto parts store), I put the container in a large plastic garbage bag just in case any leaks, its contained, and I don't dirty up the person's vehicle.

And yeah I really despise tweakers too. Why even try that poison? Alcohol and weed aren't enough? Really?

Good luck with the clean up. Take some extra steps to contain next time, you never know what might happen in transit.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well, fighting fire with fire rarely works, but there's a reason these things are boosted. Stop'em in their tracks!
I get flustered when spilling half a coffee or something, I couldn't imagine having to tear out the sub-carpeting. Best of luck man, and steer clear of those old rusty beaters on the road, most of them have nothing good to offer!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn that sucks so bad to have to clean all that oil.

That's why I get the oil catch bins that are enclosed with the screw knob drain stop thingy. I also put a bit of gasket sealer on the actual protruding drain spout threads and then screw that cap on, cause if you fill them all the way up they can leak a little from there. Plus, the petroleum oil breaks down that plastic cap over time and it eventually cracks allowing oil to seep and drip. By that time I usually throw it in the recycling bin and get a new one since they are fairly cheap.

Once that gasket sealer wears out, I'll wrap paper towel around that spout and put a rubber glove over it. Or wrap masking tape around the paper towel. Any extra steps to help contain that crap in the event of an emergency such as yours.

And, when I had to borrow a vehicle to take my oil bin to empty (at the auto parts store), I put the container in a large plastic garbage bag just in case any leaks, its contained, and I don't dirty up the person's vehicle.

And yeah I really despise tweakers too. Why even try that poison? Alcohol and weed aren't enough? Really?

Good luck with the clean up. Take some extra steps to contain next time, you never know what might happen in transit.
Yup I use a plastic tote bin and I had about 6 gallon jugs in there with all the caps. It wasn’t tied down. I had nothing else in the car and the seats were down. I think it flew forward pretty fast and the weight of the other containers somehow made the one lid come off? They were filled to the brim too. I saw the lid on the floor when I got home. Sucks...just one of those things you don’t think will happen.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
I was going to ask, why were they not closed? but they were. Those plastic ones from the auto parts stores have crappy lids too.

I always take my oil in the bed of the tacoma, secured with ripe to the bed floor. If I have an oil spill its going in the bed and on the road lol.

As ZZZZZZZ can attest.. I wouldn't let new motor oil in my wagons

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Yup I use a plastic tote bin and I had about 6 gallon jugs in there with all the caps. It wasn’t tied down. I had nothing else in the car and the seats were down. I think it flew forward pretty fast and the weight of the other containers somehow made the one lid come off? They were filled to the brim too. I saw the lid on the floor when I got home. Sucks...just one of those things you don’t think will happen.

That's crazy. I never transport that much oil myself though. I usually have one or two of the 5 quart jugs at a time. Usually just stood up in the rear seat foot well. The mobil one containers seem to have sturdy caps. I wouldn't think that could happen but I guess you had a "perfect storm" event.

I was going to ask, why were they not closed? but they were. Those plastic ones from the auto parts stores have crappy lids too.

I always take my oil in the bed of the tacoma, secured with ripe to the bed floor. If I have an oil spill its going in the bed and on the road lol.

As ZZZZZZZ can attest.. I wouldn't let new motor oil in my wagons

Haha my first thought when I opened this thread was "My God I can feel Skywolf's eye twitching from here!" hahahahaha!!!

Anyway...that sucks man. I feel like that car is always gonna have a scent of fuel/oil to it now.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Haha my first thought when I opened this thread was "My God I can feel Skywolf's eye twitching from here!" hahahahaha!!!

Ahh yea, I don't even want to think about this happening in mine. However, he is doing the right thing, stripping it down. I spilled coffee on my Mazda3's cupholder and it leaked down onto the airbag module. I dismantled the center console and scrubbed everything. He should be able to get the oil smell out of most everything except for the seat foam, I don't think that's going to be easy. Maybe look for some donor seats and grab the foam if the leather isn't better than what you have.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Hahahaha. Apoplectic doesn't even begin to describe how I would be.
I. Can't. Even. Imagine.
Those pictures are god awful.
Like I said - I have five of these to get rid of this weekend. Reason I've waited so long is I hate doing it. But it's time, or I will have to do double, in time.
I'm going to take the back way, and have them in the box (they are also all closed tops) and in the XC. No way is that going in the R.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Hahahaha. Apoplectic doesn't even begin to describe how I would be.
I. Can't. Even. Imagine.
Those pictures are god awful.

Like I said - I have five of these to get rid of this weekend. Reason I've waited so long is I hate doing it. But it's time, or I will have to do double, in time.
I'm going to take the back way, and have them in the box (they are also all closed tops) and in the XC. No way is that going in the R.
Sealed Rubbermaid bin

·
3,899 Posts
All you have to do is double or triple bag it with heavy duty garbage bags + all weather trunk mat and strap it down in the trunk.

I would definitely get some cheap brushes, microfibers, Simple green for the bare metal surfaces, Nextsett W99 for the interior apholstry and Nextsett Deep plastic cleaner for the hard interior plastics like the dash. Then wipe everything down with Nextsett Cockpit after and it will be as good as new.

Also what may help lift the oil out might be to actually put another oil on it, try leatherique rejuventor oil after you've cleaned everything up. If you heat up the interior on a hot day and apply that on the leather, it will really expand and it might help lift out some of the deeper oil stains.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All you have to do is double or triple bag it with heavy duty garbage bags + all weather trunk mat and strap it down in the trunk.

I would definitely get some cheap brushes, microfibers, Simple green for the bare metal surfaces, Nextsett W99 for the interior apholstry and Nextsett Deep plastic cleaner for the hard interior plastics like the dash. Then wipe everything down with Nextsett Cockpit after and it will be as good as new.

Also what may help lift the oil out might be to actually put another oil on it, try leatherique rejuventor oil after you've cleaned everything up. If you heat up the interior on a hot day and apply that on the leather, it will really expand and it might help lift out some of the deeper oil stains.
Thanks for the tips, so far it’s been all simple green 1 to 1 ratio. All the interior trim pieces and seats and have been wiped down with it. Used straight simple green where the oil left a streak like on the dash (I know it’s probably not good for it). Floorboard has been simple green as well. Old micro fibers used to suck up oil then thrown away. It’s a mess. So much oil it’s leaking out the bottom.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahh yea, I don't even want to think about this happening in mine. However, he is doing the right thing, stripping it down. I spilled coffee on my Mazda3's cupholder and it leaked down onto the airbag module. I dismantled the center console and scrubbed everything. He should be able to get the oil smell out of most everything except for the seat foam, I don't think that's going to be easy. Maybe look for some donor seats and grab the foam if the leather isn't better than what you have.
Luckily not a lot of oil got on the seats, not like there was a huge oil puddle on the leather. So I think the foam is alright? Seats got it easy, more just like splattered on. Damage was mostly to the carpet. Will replace probably all the carpet because I do not want the smell, not even going to attempt to clean it.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Luckily not a lot of oil got on the seats, not like there was a huge oil puddle on the leather. So I think the foam is alright? Seats got it easy, more just like splattered on. Damage was mostly to the carpet. Will replace probably all the carpet because I do not want the smell, not even going to attempt to clean it.

Yea the carpet will be ruined.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's crazy. I never transport that much oil myself though. I usually have one or two of the 5 quart jugs at a time. Usually just stood up in the rear seat foot well. The mobil one containers seem to have sturdy caps. I wouldn't think that could happen but I guess you had a "perfect storm" event.

Anyway...that sucks man. I feel like that car is always gonna have a scent of fuel/oil to it now.
I’d have a heart attack seeing this happen to skywolfs mint 07, he obviously takes better care of his car than I do ahahaha.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Also just want to note. If not for the sake of cleanliness. When transporting anything, especially flammable liquids, it should always be assumed that you may stop suddenly whether by braking or being involved in a collision. Had you actually hit the guy it could have been much worse as the oil would have probably exploded all over the interior, covering you and everything inside and that can create a massive fire risk. There is no stop, drop and roll when you're covered in oil.

Safety first.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts