SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: What brand tires? (dagnelson)

I have had really good luck with Grand Sprit Aquaflow tires. They are inexpensive, made by Goodyear and work amazing in the rain. They are available from discount tire chains.<p>I have also had good luck with Goodyear Regatta tires. They are smooth riding LONG LASTING touring tires.<p>

·
Registered
467 Posts

Same thing for me on the Goodyear Regattas. I purchased the car with Goodyear Intergrities, but those did not really perform all that well in snow, rain, well, anything that wasnt dry pavement. When I bought new tires back in May, I switched to the Regattas, mainly cause they had a higher load rating, but I have yet to have a problem in rain or slippery conditions. And they are 75K tires.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have relied on the Dunlop Sp A2 for about four years now. They have given me good mileage on the highway and are grippy enough for some light duty B-road fun. Like jrocheunh, I too have Virgos but also they are mounted on a sedan. I don't think it would make mch diference though. Dunlop makes the A2 in 14 inch sizes if you have steelies. Otherwise, Michelin has a few chouces that might be good. I used to have the old Rainforce tires on the 14" Scorpios I took off the car. I liked them. Michelins are expensive but every set my family has purchased for either light truck/SUV or passenger car application has served us well.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Bridgestone Potenza RE950s.<p>I run these on my 91 240 sedan (on 15" Borbet Type E wheels) and love the set-up. Great in the rain, too.<p>- Brickboy240

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (gdill2)

14"<br>Price not as important as quality.<p>It now has the Michelin Rainforce 185R14, apparently they were reinforced and ideal for wagons, I loved them but they are no longer available. The option now would be Michelin Harmony 195/70/14 ($100) but these are not reinforced so the tire place said they would just put more air in them to make them stronger - ?<p>Someone recommended the Yokohama Avid which got rave reviews on tirerack.com and costs $ 50.<p>I was just curious what you all like.

·
Registered
109 Posts

I run Michelin Symetry's 185/70R14 on my 244 with 14" steel wheels. The tire size for the wagons is the same and this is the stock tire size. I like them since they are an all weather tire, great in rain, snow, and dry conditions. Michelin Symetry is also the factory equiped tire on these cars.<p>Hope this helps,<br>Benjamin Florence

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: What brand tires? (Flo-Jo33)

Again...Bridgestone Potenza RE950s. Buy them from Tire Rack.<p>I run these in 205-60-15 size on my 91 240 sedan and on the wife's 2003 S-40 and we love them. If you drive sanely, you'll easily get 55-60k miles out of a set and they're great in the rain. Not overly expensive, but not the cheapest set, either.<p>Yokohamas? Well, I don't know about their street tires, but I have a set of their Geolandar A/Ts on my 05 Tundra and love them. I would bet their street tires would be good as well.<p>Tire Rack is the best place to get tires, period. I got the Potenzas on the two Volvos and the Yoko Geolandars all from Tire Rack. They had the best prices.<p>- Brickboy240

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: What brand tires? (Flo-Jo33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Flo-Jo33</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... 185/70R14 on my 244 with 14" steel wheels. The tire size for the wagons is the same and this is the stock tire size. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>No, they're not. Volvo 240 Wagons came from the factory with 185R14 (i.e. 75% aspect ratio) tires. This enabled them to safely carry a few hundred extra pounds of cargo, as a 75% aspect ratio tire has a higher load rating.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Flo-Jo33</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Michelin Symetry is also the factory equiped tire on these cars.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Late model Volvo 240s were sold in North America with Michelin MXLs. I don't recall the Symetry being sold in North America in the early 90s.<p>Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: What brand tires? (RearWheelPaul)

Paul, Farbeit from me to correct someone of your standing, but I'm pretty sure that the average aspect ratio of a 185R14 tire is about 82%. I read this in an old Gislaved tire brochure. Also, since the closest diameter equivelent to a 185R14 would be a <B>195</B>/75R14, the aspect ratio would have to be higher than 75%.<p>My 245 is running on Yokohama Avid Touring 195/75R14. They're currently 3yrs old w/ about 60k on them. A superb tire for these cars.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: What brand tires? (SL8Brick)

It might be from Gislaved's standpoint, but the figure used by the Rubber Manufacturer's Association (the industry group that sets a variety of standards for tires) is 78%. (my oops for the 75% post) Note that this figure, like all aspect ratios, is approximate. It's rare to find a tire that exactly matches its specified dimensions. <p>The advertized size of the tire only provides an general indicator whether it will fit a certain vehicle. A more precise indicator is the rolling circumference, which tire manufacturers list in their brochures and catalogs.<p>The load (88, 89, 90...) and speed (S, T, U, H, V, Z etc.) ratings and the application code (i.e. R = road, LT = Light Truck, etc.) provide some assurance that the tire is fit for a particular specification.<p>All owner's manuals specify a recommended load and speed rating that must be met or exceeded for safe vehicle operation. A sticker listing this data is also affixed to the driver's side door pillar.<p>It is entirely possible that some 195/70R14 tires could have the same (or higher) load and speed ratings than that specified by Volvo. As these ratings change according to manufacturer and construction techniques, it's important to check before fitting tires that are inappropriate to a specific application.<p>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by RearWheelPaul at 12:11 PM 7-28-2006</i>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: What brand tires? (RearWheelPaul)

I put a set of Michilen X tires 185/75/14 from Sams club at $50 on the stock 25 spoke wheels and have over 35k on them. Great in the rain, light mud and light snow. I am expecting a wetter winter so I am ordering a set of dediicated snow tires this year (hankook 185/65/14 directional,studable tire also at $50)<br>and will put the Mich back on in the spring

1 - 14 of 14 Posts