SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What are these two screw holes you see when the door's open?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  beavenx5 
#1 ·
They're not for mounting ski racks, are they? Didn't think something would screw into that and you'd still be able to close the door without the door seals being ruined...

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: What are these two screw holes you see when the door's open? (Lotus99)

Quote, originally posted by Lotus99 »
They're not for mounting ski racks, are they?

That's what they're for. Keep in mind that the XC70 shares the same roof stamping as the V70 and the roof rails are an option on the V70, so a cost savings measure.

#3 ·
Re: What are these two screw holes you see when the door's open? (Lotus99)

I had them and was using them for my Thule rack on my 1994 Volvo 850. They worked well, was not ruining the seals and provided a very secure way of installing a roof rack. Note that the rack was not screwed into the holes but just had pins that inserted into the holes to make sure the rack could not slip, even if installed loose.
Great system if you don't have the XC roof rails.

#5 ·
Re: What are these two screw holes you see when the door's open? (Munin)

Quote, originally posted by Munin »
One more reason I wish the rails could be deleted.
Actually, back in 1996, I had some rails installed on my 1994 850 wagon because I liked the added convenience they provided. A lot easier and faster to install the rack by yourself on the rails than on the roof.

We use the roof rack a lot both in winter for the ski box and in summer for the bike racks. I install and remove my rack at least 20 times per year and love the bars for that.

I also have a Thule #571 box lift installed on the ceiling of my garage to make the job so much easier. You keep the bars on the box, just loosen the grips on the car bars and lift the entire rack
. If the lift is not perfectly under the car where the rack has to be secured, you can slide it on the bars to the proper location. It is done in 10 minutes by yourself.

#6 ·
Re: What are these two screw holes you see when the door's open? (beavenx5)

You might become my new roof rack consultant.

There was a time when I shopped the car around the roof rack system. Those days have probably passed, at least for now, but it's still a consideration.

#7 ·
Re: What are these two screw holes you see when the door's open? (Munin)

Quote, originally posted by Munin »
You might become my new roof rack consultant.

Just ask your questions.
I am a big fan of Thule and have been using them since I got my first car in 1986. I used to put 6 windsurf boards and gear on the roof of my Jetta back in the days....
Now I mainly use the ski box + snowboard rack (4 pairs of skis and 5 board won't fit in the box) in winter and 4 bike racks in summer. I also have the Volvo cargo bike rack in the XC70 that I will try in the next few weeks if wether permits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.