SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since buying my base 2000 v70 I have been a little paranoid about the water pump.

My old mechanic told me he always does the water pump on p80's when he does the timing belt, as he has had a couple of p80's over the years where the water pumps have seized, taking out the belts and killing the engine.

On my car, the seller did the timing belt right before I bought it, but neglected to replace the water pump.

Any thoughts on what the warning signs might be if it is time to replace the pump?

My former mechanic suggested that if it were his car, he'd probably drive it until 100k miles or so (timing belt was done at 75k 2.5 years ago, I'm at ~85k now) and then replace the water pump. He suggests never reusing the timing belt if you take the belts apart, so he would do that at the same time.

I'm thinking he was probably being a little bit overly paranoid (that was just his way) but at the same time I don't want to completely disregard any potential water pump issues.

So, any thoughts on signs or symptoms I should be looking or listening for, or any recommendations going forward would be greatly appreciated.

It's a great little car. Would be a shame to kill the engine.

·
Registered
16,110 Posts
It’s due by age now. Just do it

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Don't know why someone wouldn't reuse the timing belt if its perfectly fine. If you know when it was replaced, you know the age and mileage and can estimate if you should replace. The bearings are more of a concern than the belt on my scale
First sign of water pump trouble is almost always a leak from the weep hole. Generally seen at the bottom of the pump and drips down onto the timing cover on your engine.
If it's not leaking, I wouldn't go out of my way to replace it. The old saying "you need to do the water pump with the timing belt" is outdated and not needed. It may be of good advise to replace the water pump on the second timing belt replacement but Volvo water pumps just last and some of the aftermarket trash pumps out there WILL and DO fail much more often so depends on the quality of parts used.
Only other failure sign would be bearing grinding noise. This mainly happens after the leak has been ignored.
Change Coolant at least every 4 years. Use Volvo Coolant.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know why someone wouldn't reuse the timing belt if its perfectly fine. If you know when it was replaced, you know the age and mileage and can estimate if you should replace. The bearings are more of a concern than the belt on my scale
First sign of water pump trouble is almost always a leak from the weep hole. Generally seen at the bottom of the pump and drips down onto the timing cover on your engine.
If it's not leaking, I wouldn't go out of my way to replace it. The old saying "you need to do the water pump with the timing belt" is outdated and not needed. It may be of good advise to replace the water pump on the second timing belt replacement but Volvo water pumps just last and some of the aftermarket trash pumps out there WILL and DO fail much more often so depends on the quality of parts used.
Only other failure sign would be bearing grinding noise. This mainly happens after the leak has been ignored.
Hmm...

I've topped it off with off the shelf coolant from the parts store.

I presumed they were all the same.

Maybe I need to drain and refill then. (Not quite sure how one does that)

I appreciate the advice guys.

·
Registered
489 Posts
A timing belt costs like $35-$40, why *wouldn’t* you replace it for peace of mind. Belts can stretch a bit coming off and being put back on- not common, but why chance it?

I think the “water pump-with timing belt” replacement strategy is born from service shops. If you’re paying someone to do the labor to do the timing belt job then it 100% makes sense to have them do the water pump. If you’re doing it yourself and don’t mind redoing the whole job later if the water pump starts to leak or the bearing gets noisy then you’re only out your own time.

Personally, why gamble with the health and longevity of the heart of your vehicle just to save some money? I just don’t agree with cutting corners here- just do it right and be done with it. How pissed would you be with yourself if you took that gamble and broke the motor?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It's really up to you. If it's original, I would go ahead and replace it. It it's been changed and doesn't have an insane amount of miles on it, run it. I used to ALWAYS change the water pump while doing a timing belt, but I've begun leaving them if they aren't too old and don't have any play in the pulley or leaks. The OE Volvo/Aisin pumps are very good quality and can last over 200k miles no problem.

I agree that if you're paying a shop to do the work, go ahead and do the water pump so you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it unless you can see an obvious leak. Of course, as it's been mentioned, bearing failure happens too. If you have the timing belt off, you can feel the pulley to make sure it spins freely and doesn't have any play.

If you decide to replace it, only use an Aisin pump. Aftermarket brands are pretty unreliable on these cars... some last 60k miles, others last 5k miles. Can't go wrong with the OEM.

·
Registered
16,110 Posts
Of note the aftermarket gasket provided with Aisin pumps is a tad thin and can weep. Best to use the oem volvo one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ever since buying my base 2000 v70 I have been a little paranoid about the water pump.

My old mechanic told me he always does the water pump on p80's when he does the timing belt, as he has had a couple of p80's over the years where the water pumps have seized, taking out the belts and killing the engine.

On my car, the seller did the timing belt right before I bought it, but neglected to replace the water pump.

Any thoughts on what the warning signs might be if it is time to replace the pump?

My former mechanic suggested that if it were his car, he'd probably drive it until 100k miles or so (timing belt was done at 75k 2.5 years ago, I'm at ~85k now) and then replace the water pump. He suggests never reusing the timing belt if you take the belts apart, so he would do that at the same time.

I'm thinking he was probably being a little bit overly paranoid (that was just his way) but at the same time I don't want to completely disregard any potential water pump issues.

So, any thoughts on signs or symptoms I should be looking or listening for, or any recommendations going forward would be greatly appreciated.

It's a great little car. Would be a shame to kill the engine.
Usually a frequent loss of water from the system & a visible leak down from the timing cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts