SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all-

looking at picking up an '04 XC90 with the 5 cyl engine. It has about 95K miles on it. It is SUPER clean as is the carfax report. It is a really really good deal (but from a family member, so, not just a good deal cuz someone needs to dump it).....what ate the major issues that I could expect with this year and engine config?

thank you all.....really looking to get back into an XC90...just can't go through the debacle I already went through with my 05 V8. I don't think I need to explain that issue....

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Someone asked that question. The thread should be a few lines down so look around for it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I looked through 6 pages ... I missed it I guess?

I'm not an expert, but I have some experience with a 2005 2.5T. :

We had the oil cooler failed on us ... a real mess and an engine risk! Most folks don't have this issue, so just be aware of it. If you see oil in the coolant ... stop, and study the situation carefully!

The cambelt is due at 120k miles. If you start gathering genuine Volvo replacement parts now at discount locations, you can have less than $300 invested ... and have both belts, water pump, cam belt idler and tensioner ready to go when due. It is not a bad job and requires no special wrenches, contrary to what most instructions tell you. It seems many on-line instructions for replacing the cambelt are plucked out of total engine tear-down directions. You need to go no further than removing the crank shaft balancer ... you do not need to remove the crank pulley or dismantle the oil pump!

EDIT: I should be more specific ... the special tool is obviously the easiest way to remove the vibration damper ... I am pointing out that there are several possible "work arounds" ... but one must be careful not to damage the damper or other parts.

Other than other body issues, parking brake issues, motor mount issues, etc, etc ... that all XC90's enjoy, it is a pretty sound vehicle. Enjoy!

·
Registered
173 Posts
We're the original owners of an '04 2.5T AWD with 113k miles and have had zero problems other than a failed rear wheel bearing @ 100k. With the 2.5's just keep up on the regular maintenance (including changing the trans fluid) and you will be well served.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
We're the original owners of an '04 2.5T AWD with 113k miles and have had zero problems other than a failed rear wheel bearing @ 100k. With the 2.5's just keep up on the regular maintenance (including changing the trans fluid) and you will be well served.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
one rear wheel bearing went bad at 82k so i had both hubs replaced last month along with the rotors and pads. is that even an "issue" to look out for, or a wear item?

i think the control arm bushings and sway bar end links are not robust enough for the vehicle weight, and am a little disappointed with the subframe bushings. but i cant really say those are things to look out for as much as those are wear items like the cooling system on a bmw. just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
By110k miles my 04 had suffered a rear wheel bearing failure, alternator, which required belt/tensioner replacement, two motor mounts, rear main seal leak, all front suspension bushings, on top of quickly wearing tires and brakes. But I still loved it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
.... Oh yeah, I forgot the rear wheel bearing! What's up with these bearings ... do they forget the grease or something?

And there was some little expensive vacuum pump (diagnostic pump?) up underneath the rear that I had to replace ... $150, IIRC. We have 145k miles on it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Original owner of an 05 2.5t, had an 03 as well that we traded to get into a 7 seater.

Early in its life we went through tires (bad Pirellis) and 3 rear wheel bearings (all under warranty...may not have been so picky otherwise)

Since then, I have rotated tires, done the brakes once, and had the transmission fluid changed at 80k (it looked bad, no idea if it really needed it or not) at 96,000 miles it runs very well, is the most comfortable car in our fleet (VW GTI's) and does a respectable job of towing my new toy, a 20 foot boat :)

Would buy another one tomorrow, I miss some of the creature comforts of the newer cars but have been very happy with the purchase, and now that I just put tires on it I need to get another 40k out of it so I hope I just didnt jinx it.

boat first time 2012-501 by millerjont, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
well the 2.5T is a bulletproof engine, so you will be fine, just normal things need to be inspect, PCV system, oil changes, etc. I think the point should be when you get it, do a stage 0. Spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, and susp. inspections like bushing, shock mounts, shocks, brakes, etc.

So for your question, 2.5T is an amazing configuration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Followed normal maintenance schedule. 130K water pump, normal wear brake pads, rotors. This platform is hard on the upper motor mount. Went through a set of Yokohama tires before going back to Michelin. Had to replace air mass meter 198K. Now at 240K, everything is still tight. Two outstanding issues slight oil leak of the main seal, and the lower motor mount needs to be replaced. The 2.5T has been rock solid for us.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
If your rear main seal is leaking, do a complete/comprehensive PCV service (including de-carb'ing the ports), replace dipstick and oil cap seals/o-rings. That should stop it the leak.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
njb8199, ... that's some service I probably should do to the neighbor's 2.5T while I have it.

Exactly where are these "ports" you speak of? ... in the throttle body?

Are they part of the PCV system or the EGR system? Is this service outlined on the web somewhere?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

2004 XC90 2.5 AWD, ran great for us for 135,000 miles. We had a rear wheel bearing go out, dealer replaced it. Ignition key assy locked up and had to be replaced as something like $625. Floor mats were frequently wet due to sunroof drain and/or a hidden drain from the front valance near the windshield wiper motor. Keep those clean and you should have dry mats. Had the normal front end clunking that is reported on all early XC90s. Basically one solid and very safe car. Believe it or not, I ran the entire 135,000 miles on original brake discs, despite attempts to spend lots and lots of money on numerous occasions. I am not recommending this, only commenting. We got a very strong trade-in from the dealer who did the work on the car for us, traded up to a 2008 3.2 with 33,000 miles and are happy with that one (too).

Good luck with it.

P

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The rear bearings on the earlier XC90 had faulty seals, but my mechanic says most of these bearings failed before 50,000 miles--while still under warranty--and Volvo replaced them for free. The rear bearings on my 2006 2.5T XC90 lasted to 72,000 miles, so I got to pay for them myself. Lucky me. Besides my R front bearing, it's the only repair I've done on mine, and I've owned it for 3 years now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in the same boat and about to buy a XC90 04 2.5. I'm wondering that nobody here complains about the AWD failure? From what I read so far it just seems to be a matter of time until it fails. But maybe it's not all that bad after all?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm in the same boat and about to buy a XC90 04 2.5. I'm wondering that nobody here complains about the AWD failure? From what I read so far it just seems to be a matter of time until it fails. But maybe it's not all that bad after all?
It will fail, it is just not all that common. If you keep the car long enough everything will fail.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Our AWD system went out, leaving only the front wheels pulling, but it was a software issue i believe. We were not impressed with FWD in our hill country and occasional gravel roads.

Regards

P

1 - 17 of 17 Posts