SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded in my 2014 Subaru Outback for a 2015 Volvo XC60. I love it to pieces, but know that once winter hits, I'm going to need new tires to get up to the mountains here in Colorado. My Subaru did really well with some Hankooks, but don't know how they would be on the Volvo.

Has anyone tried Hankook tires? Or maybe have a better recommendation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Tirerack.com is your friend. Read the reviews for dedicated snow tires.

Depending on your type of snow, you may be able to get away with all season like a Continental DWS. Snow pack, weather and driving condition will vary and your needs will vary.

My personal preference for my use are Michelin X-Ice. Also had good experience with Nokian.

·
Registered
92 Posts
tire rack was or possibly is still having a great sale on Blizzak WS80 which I think are great for ice and snow. I went to Discount tire and they matched the sales price of tire rack. I really like Blizzak WS80 because they are so good on ice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta

·
Registered
745 Posts
I actually run 17 inch Gislaved Nordfrost 6’s I think they’re now called euro frost 6’s.

Have had any issues with them and I actually run a studded version on my other vehicle.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
I am in the same situation - shopping for winter tires for our '15 XC60.

It is a little early for Tirerack's full winter tire inventory to be available but I am leaning toward the General Altimax Arctic - decent price and I've had good experience with them on two other cars. I think they're based off of an old Nordfrost tread pattern.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have been very happy with the Nokian tires. I have studded Hakkapelliita's on our 2011 and WR G3's on the 2016.

I like the fact that I don't have to change over the tires twice a year using the WR's and they do quite well in all conditions. But on very slick roads (ice with a little water on top), well let's face it- they are not studded. So when the roads are this bad we leave the 2016 parked in the driveway and use the 2011 with the studs. As a lifelong Alaskan I have always had studded tires on my vehicles during the winter months and the Hakkapelliita's are the best that I have ever had.

Hope this helps with your decision!

Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried the Yokohama Geolandar GO15? I was looking for something that I could use in winter but also on some back country camping trips and gravel roads and they look interesting but not sure how well they will fit etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, I actually run G015s on my XC60 and couldn't be happier - I use them for offroading on Jeep Trails, plowing through snowed-in roads in the Sierras during winter, and of course LOTS of road miles. Probably the best tires I've used in years.
Currently running the standard size 235/60r18 but even when I finish my modifications to bring it up to 255/70r18 I'll still be aiming for the G015 as my ideal tire. On full ice they've been solid as well.

On-road traction wise they are fantastic. Not quite as grippy on high speed cornering, maybe 90% of where the Pirelli Zeros are, but that isn't too bad for the off road and snow-condition capabilities.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah, I actually run G015s on my XC60 and couldn't be happier - I use them for offroading on Jeep Trails, plowing through snowed-in roads in the Sierras during winter, and of course LOTS of road miles. Probably the best tires I've used in years.
Currently running the standard size 235/60r18 but even when I finish my modifications to bring it up to 255/70r18 I'll still be aiming for the G015 as my ideal tire. On full ice they've been solid as well.

On-road traction wise they are fantastic. Not quite as grippy on high speed cornering, maybe 90% of where the Pirelli Zeros are, but that isn't too bad for the off road and snow-condition capabilities.
I'll second this. Been using these tires for 2 years now on my XC60.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts