SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I tried to look this up multiple places but could not find the answer. We have a 3 day old Xc90 R and no HUD. On the drivers side on top of the dash just past the odometer and rpm there is a raised fixture. Not sure what this is. Facing the windshield we can see orange lights from the reflection. They turn on what seems randomly. The light don't face the driver they face the front so I don't think it is meant to be a warning. Is this the no sensor to brake if making a turn into oncoming traffic? Something else? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
it means you are too close to a car.
but it is VERY conservative.
i think you can change the settings for how close you are when they come on.
and you can also turn them off all together.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is standard heads up display for the distance alert and city safety. If you get too close to an object like a pedestrian, vehicle, bicycle, the proximity alert will display on the windshield. You can also enable what is called "distance alert" in the settings menu. This gives you a visual cue on how close you following a vehicle in front of you.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You can't turn off the City Safety alerts, but I'm not clear that's what the OP was referring to. City Safety alerts come with a jarring audible alert too and that wasn't mentioned. And neither the safety alerts or the proximity alerts (which also make a sound) emit from a raised fixture pointed toward the windshield -- they both appear on the LED dashboard display.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There's a passive proximity warning which appears in the HUD and is orange. Depending on driving patterns it can seem like it's on a the time. There's another thread about non-HUD owners and how they have both proximity warning and city safety projected on the windshield.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There's a passive proximity warning which appears in the HUD and is orange. Depending on driving patterns it can seem like it's on a the time. There's another thread about non-HUD owners and how they have both proximity warning and city safety projected on the windshield.
Interesting. Did not know that about non-HUD owners. I have HUD and have had City Safety full-ion brake my car a dozen times and I have never seen a passive warning on my HUD, orange or otherwise. I have the feature that alerts you when you are close to cars in front set to off so perhaps that is the reason.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
What you are talking about is Distance Alert and you can turn it off: check page 319 of your owners manual I have the same thing in my V60RD and I use it from time to time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Page 319? Not in that far yet. To confirm there is no audible sound. And the lights don't face me. They face forward but I see them in the windshields reflection. It is not super noticeable. I'll play around with the settings. Appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Page 319? Not in that far yet. To confirm there is no audible sound. And the lights don't face me. They face forward but I see them in the windshields reflection. It is not super noticeable. I'll play around with the settings. Appreciate the feedback
Distance Alert doesn't make an audible sound, it's merely showing that you are too close to the person in front of you based on your setting for the distance. Just skip to page 319 and it will explain how to use the function or just turn it off its something you don't find useful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts