SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few months I've seen ads in the classifieds asking $350-$500+ for a pair of headlights for cars that are worth $2000-$5000. I think this is wildly optimistic! It's not 2010 anymore.

I built my set of glass lens xenons from two broken pairs for a total of $275 (repainted bezels, butyl tape in the oven, etc.) and was still offended at how expensive the process was--more than 10% the cost of the car itself.

So, peanut gallery, now that P2s are fully depreciated, what should xenon-sellers be asking for their headlights in order to actually make the sale?

If you wait for them to show up at the LKQ you can get them for $40 per headlight, but you have to jump on them literally the first day the car is in the yard...

·
Registered
355 Posts
The last few months I've seen ads in the classifieds asking $350-$500+ for a pair of headlights for cars that are worth $2000-$5000. I think this is wildly optimistic! It's not 2010 anymore.

I built my set of glass lens xenons from two broken pairs for a total of $275 (repainted bezels, butyl tape in the oven, etc.) and was still offended at how expensive the process was--more than 10% the cost of the car itself.

So, peanut gallery, now that P2s are fully depreciated, what should xenon-sellers be asking for their headlights in order to actually make the sale?

If you wait for them to show up at the LKQ you can get them for $40 per headlight, but you have to jump on them literally the first day the car is in the yard...
It all depends on how old they are. Can't really compare the car value with the value of individual parts. Chances are if you would buy a 15 years old $2k-$4k car, the headlights would be in a matching shape if original. On the other hand, if someone has replaced them in the last few years, and they are in like new condition, the part in itself can definitely command a high price.

Try buying replacement at your local dealer... You can tell them you could buy a used car for the requested price (FYI Here in Canada, those Xenon are around 800CAD per side (checked for my S80...). They will gently remind you that the parts are selling you are not 15 years old and worn out... ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts