SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tidying my newly acquired 2004 S60R and have found that the air box is missing its lid. Inside is a tubular Volvo air filter rather than the rectangular type which in any case doesn't seem like it would fit. It appears that the air box top is attached by screws rather than clips and that the air intake enters through the bottom of the box rather than the top. What have I got then and what do I need to get to replace the top? Boxes I see on Ebay that are supposedly for my car don't seem to be the right part.

Thanks for your help,

Bruce

·
Registered
305 Posts
Based on what you are describing, it sounds like a stock airbox. R boxes use round filter with screw on box lid.

·
Registered
897 Posts

+1, T5s and Rs have a round filter as stock.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm tidying my newly acquired 2004 S60R and have found that the air box is missing its lid. Inside is a tubular Volvo air filter rather than the rectangular type which in any case doesn't seem like it would fit. It appears that the air box top is attached by screws rather than clips and that the air intake enters through the bottom of the box rather than the top. What have I got then and what do I need to get to replace the top? Boxes I see on Ebay that are supposedly for my car don't seem to be the right part.

Thanks for your help,

Bruce
If you've got a duct going from the bottom of the air box like this

which leads down in to the bumper, like this

congratulations, your R has the "R kelly" intake mod. Find a replacement lid for the air box and call it a day.

EDIT: when you replace the lid, make sure the "snorkel" portion of the upper intake is intact. Pictured below, #5

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help and the parts diagram. I'm new to Volvos and have a steep learning curve ahead of me although I have a fair bit of experience with European motorbikes and other types of cars. On the positive side a tank of premium fuel and a bottle of top-end cleaner extinguished the check engine light so that's a good sign.

Bruce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts