SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my R from this Doctor down in DC, he did mention that some work was just done to the car a couple of days before I bought it. Well I got all the receipts with the car, but never really too the time to look them over... yeah I know, shame on me.

Well I showed them to a colleague who is a old mechanic and then also showed it to a current Volvo mechanic, and damm I got a car with allot of fixed things.... including

New transmission
New transfer case
New clutch
Complete new bottom end engine
New Struts

The list goes on with allot of smaller things too. I called the shop (who is a auth. Volvo shop) to confirm if all this work was correct and they confirmed it. I also check if the car was in an accident, and it was not. But the Doctor was apparently pulling a rather large boat with the car, I don't know if that is the reason, but hey.... 16K in repairs on my car.... wuuup

·
Registered
391 Posts
So there's no transfer case? I know on my R there was a 'transfer case' replaced, does this mean the angle gear was? It cost me $600 for the part
Haha no worries I was just joking...I used the term once at work(I work at a Land Rover place) and the owner was giving me sh*t for it haha. It's called an angle gear or collar gear, and you're lucky it got changed!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
How can you identify a bad gear? I remember that before we got it put in, it would go into gear but wouldn't move anywhere, clutch was still engaging, does this sound like a bad angle gear?
Bad angle gear = no power to the rear wheels. Has nothing to do with clutch.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Would the front wheels still have power?
Yes, the Rs are FWD cars with a sort of random output shaft sticking off the side of the transmission that goes to the back wheels. The angle gear is the interface between this output and the driveshaft to the back.

(Please feel free to correct me, but I think I'm right in a general sense.)

Anyway, when the angle gear fails you can no longer deliver power to the rear wheels. Generally you notice the failure when accelerating hard because your 300 horsepower starts squealing the front tires like crazy instead of smoothly zipping away.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hmm it must have been something else that was wrong than, neither the front or the rear were getting power, any idea what else this could have been? When the problem was being fixed my mechanic said it was a transfer case that needed replacing, after he got it put in it ran fine, since you said there's no transfer case what was wrong with it?
Yes, the Rs are FWD cars with a sort of random output shaft sticking off the side of the transmission that goes to the back wheels. The angle gear is the interface between this output and the driveshaft to the back.

(Please feel free to correct me, but I think I'm right in a general sense.)

Anyway, when the angle gear fails you can no longer deliver power to the rear wheels. Generally you notice the failure when accelerating hard because your 300 horsepower starts squealing the front tires like crazy instead of smoothly zipping away.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
When my 2nd angle gear lost 3 teeth, it sounded and felt (i was under impression) the front left driveshaft homokinetic got exploded. Car was driveable but under a little load it vibrated like hell.
edit: to TP, could be owner took a bus-only shaft so he ripped open the bottem front. Ask questions, yes, but it could be something stupid and easy to fix (but expensive).
complete new bottom engine, is that inclusive crankshaft? i believed that getting a rebuild engine is cheaper then, hrs of rebuilding more $$$ then just a swap.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
But the Doctor was apparently pulling a rather large boat with the car, I don't know if that is the reason, but hey.... 16K in repairs on my car.... wuuup
:facepalm:
Was he european? They tow pretty much anything possible. I've seen a small moving trailer towed by a VW Golf in Amsterdam. I bet caravans get pulled by Ford Mondeos.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Haha no worries I was just joking...I used the term once at work(I work at a Land Rover place) and the owner was giving me sh*t for it haha. It's called an angle gear or collar gear, and you're lucky it got changed!
It is actually a freaking bevel gear... and is in a housing that can leak due wear on your collar gear. This bevel gear TRANSFERS power to the rear wheels... so really you can call it a transfer case if you want... it is really just a matter of opinion

1 - 20 of 39 Posts