SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a thread on here a while back about replacing the throttle body on my 2001 v70 t5 with a used yellow label one. I thought I would not need to program it, but I put it on and i started it up, it idled fine, went to test drive ti and didnt get it out the drive way, the RPMs were all over the place and it stalled. Towed it to volvo to have it programed.

They called, said it was ready to pick it up, paid my $150, went to the parking lot get ready to leave and it does the same exact thing it did before the programmed. Talked to the tech he said he drove test drove it including 50+mph and it drove fine. But apparently 20min later when I went to leave it no longer works. He brought it back in, it was throwing codes for TPS as well as other throttle related codes.

He admitted he wasn't that great with volvos(its a toyota/volvo dealership) and if I leave it there till monday they will have a volvo master tech look at it. I have to leave the state on monday so it will be up to my wife to deal with them. She will also need the car back that day. So if they can't fix this they are going to put the old throttle body back in(for a fee of course).

I am at a loss, is it possible the new unit is bad? Why would it work when he drove it then not work later?

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
You said you bought a USED ETM, so yes, it probably is (also) bad.

All a yellow sticker means that it was a replacement unit, it's still the same old crappy ETM so
buying a used throttle body is an exercise in futility.

Unless you just plan to sell the car you always buy new or buy a permanent XeMODex unit!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That what I'm thinking is probably the case. I'm just debating now if its a better idea to leave it till monday and then if they determine that it is bad having to pay them to put the old one back on, or towing it back myself now and putting the old one back on and saving $150-200 but not knowing if maybe they could have made the other one work.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And of course I just looked up the receipt on the used ETM I bought and it had a 30 day return period.........I bought it 32 days ago. What a day I am having today.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Did you even clean this one before you installed it?
Did you clean your old one?
There are several things to do before just popping on an ETM

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did clean this one before I installed it. I did not bother cleaning the old one cause i figured if I already had to take it off I my as well replace it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the update is that volvo determined it was bad. So I am having it towed back to my house. Between the towing, part, and programming I have almost $400 into it. Almost enough to by a xemodex unit, which is probably what I will buy and install now. Drive by wire is great isnt it?

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
Drive by wire is great isnt it?
Just about everybody here can tell you that I am a conservative guy. I don't like the idea of an electronic throttle. I don't know how else they could make the traction control work without an electronic throttle, though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts