SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 XC90 and the radio stopped working and I check the voltage going to the Amp and it was 11.85. Does it have to be 12 or more for it to work?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have an 04 XC90 and the radio stopped working and I check the voltage going to the Amp and it was 11.85. Does it have to be 12 or more for it to work?
No
The amplifier will work down to much lower voltages, easily less than 10V
But the car disables the audio system when the battery voltage goes low, but at much lower voltages than 11.85V

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve replaced the radio and the amp and it still doesn’t work. All the overhead lights and sunroof work, so it’s not the control module. I’m stumped.

I am not a fan of how Volvo forces you to go to the dealership to get the computer read or how there’s a control module for everything. I’ve purchased a truck and am selling my XC90.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Did you fit a new radio and get it coded by Volvo? If not, it won’t work.

The Volvo anti-theft security system knows the serial numbers of the radio and amplifier in your car. It prevents units with different serial numbers from working, unless the serial numbers are recorded. This effectively prevents using units from other vehicles.

Stop replacing parts blindly, and start diagnosing.
You need to connect to VIDA and read the fault codes, and perform diagnostic tests. The problem may be very simple, or may not be. At any rate, it will stop you throwing money away on parts you do not need...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As has been discussed several times here, replacing the radio does NOT need any programming from a dealer.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just swapped out my High Performance amp for a used Premium amp. Turned the key to accessory and the stereo didn't turn on. Was concerned thinking I got a dud amp. Put my old one back in, same thing, no stereo power up. So I started checking all the relevant fuses. They were all fine. Then I noticed Low Battery warning on dash. Threw the charger on and all was good again. So yes, low voltage reading will disable your stereo - unsure if that was affecting OP?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts