SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. A few weeks ago my 09 V50 T5 suddenly had a pool of standing water in the right rear foot well. My first thought after being a sweedspeed member for the past few years was the sunroof drains. I've seen post after post about the problem and how to fix it. I tested the drain, though, and they flowed just fine. Meanwhile I started the chore of pulling the back seat, center console, trim pieces and rear carpet. I've dried everything out, ordered new carpet (it was trashed from years of abuse) and have set out to find the point of intrusion. As near as I can tell it's coming from somewhere under the front passenger seat. I'll remove the seat next and see if there's anything obvious but I thought I'd check with you all to see if there's a known point where water gets in under the passenger seat. I've wondered if it might be a door or window seal and the water is finding it's way to the floor. Anyway, thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Did you only test the rear drains? The front right drain will send water directly to the passenger footwell area if it's clogged/disconnected.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Could be the AC drain. On my S40 it is near where the passenger's left foot would be. With the carpet out you should be able to spot it easily. A black corrugated rubber house going down to a white 90 degree tee.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible the drain was frozen up and is now thawed? Just a wild guess.
No, I've watched water flow in in. We're in the Bay area and while we'll have the occasional cold snap it's generally pretty mild. Thanks though

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be the AC drain. On my S40 it is near where the passenger's left foot would be. With the carpet out you should be able to spot it easily. A black corrugated rubber house going down to a white 90 degree tee.

I may have to look at that. Seems like a lot of water for that though. Also, it will fill up overnight if it rains hard enough. Obviously we're not running the a/c or defrost then. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might want to try having someone spray water on top of the car w/ a hose while you sit in the car and watch for water. You said you have the carpet out, so you might be able to see where it is coming from like that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might want to try having someone spray water on top of the car w/ a hose while you sit in the car and watch for water. You said you have the carpet out, so you might be able to see where it is coming from like that.
Yesterday I did just that and sure enough it was the front drain. I tested the drain when this whole thing started and saw water exit under the car so figured they were ok but maybe the hose was partially dislodged. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I'll be replacing the hoses tomorrow and hopefully this will be all over. Then maybe I can get to the business of making the car faster! I have a set of coilovers waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yesterday I did just that and sure enough it was the front drain. I tested the drain when this whole thing started and saw water exit under the car so figured they were ok but maybe the hose was partially dislodged. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I'll be replacing the hoses tomorrow and hopefully this will be all over. Then maybe I can get to the business of making the car faster! I have a set of coilovers waiting to be installed.

Glad you found it!

For me, I just went to Home Depot and bought a 10' length of 1/2 inch ID flexible tubing (shortest length they sold) and spliced in a 4 inch piece into the existing lines. The 1/2 inch fits air tight and the extra length lets you fit it down deeper into the fitting down at the firewall. The existing line barely went into that fitting at all. Here is the video I got the idea from. I spliced it in at a point where it wouldn't interfere with the clips that hold the line.

I read somewhere that someone had just removed that fitting altogether and just shoved a longer length of tubing through the firewall. That fitting is the plug point so eventually it will plug again. With a better fitting hose I'm worried that when it plugs it may just mess up the head liner so a permanent way to ensure that doesn't plug seems to be a good idea.

I thought I also read that Volvo has a improved fitting that you can get that won't plug, and I have read that some take the old one out and just cut out some of the constriction. The old part looks like this, so you can imagine it is a gunk magnet.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
That looks like the XC90 elbow but the S40 one is similar.

Take out the elbow and cut it so there is no restriction otherwise it will clog again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That looks like the XC90 elbow but the S40 one is similar.

Take out the elbow and cut it so there is no restriction otherwise it will clog again.
Do you know if it fits into anything on the other side, or is just dumping the water after going through the firewall?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The video I saw suggests removing the fitting behind the dash and running new hose all the way through. It make sense to me so that's will be what I'll do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the job is done. Just because I'm a bit obsessive and really don't want to go through this again I removed the panel that covers the well where the the wiper motor lives. I assumed the drain hose dumped in there. It does. After yanking out the factory rubber fitting and hose I used a fish wire to guide the new hose through sheet metal. I can't see it but I'm pretty sure there two separate levels of sheet metal and therefore two holes to snake the hose through. I tried running the hose from both directions (cabin to engine bay, engine bay to cabin) but had a hard time navigating the route. Running a smaller wire first, then taping the hose to the wire allowed me to pull the hose through without much difficulty. Removing the cover from the wiper motor area might not be absolutely necessary but it's fairly easy to do and I can be 100% certain that the hose went where it need to. If you decide to remove the cover as I did be careful. There are some plastic clips on the back that can break if your not. Also, there are some of those little plastic button rivet thingies that will need to be sacrificed. They're only 2 or 3 dollars at the dealer so no big thing to replace. While I was in there I vacuumed out a bunch of leaves, pine needles and debris that had accumulated in the car's 143k miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts