SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently began noticing water in my driver's side foot well so I decided to pull the A pillar and check the drain hose. I couln't tell if the hose was detached but I pulled it out to check for clogs (didn't see any) and reattached. I poured a bit of water into the sunroof channel and saw it coming out from behind the wheel as designed. I then wanted to replicate a downpour so out came the garden hose...I used a shower setting and wet the entire sunroof area. To my surprise, there was a stream of water running down the still detached A pillar!!! Some water was still coming out from behind the wheel but i quickly turned the hose off and dried everything as well as I could. Any ideas? Could the drain hole in the sunroof channel simply be partially clogged? Or did I simply overwhelm the design with the garden hose? Thankfully, there is no rain in the immediate forecast but I'd like to get this fixed without going to the dealership...I just dropped a ton of money on new shocks and struts and need rear rotors abd pads soon too. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
OK, You said ; You couldn't Tell If it was Detached , But You were able to Detach - It and Re-Connect It . OK - Please Clarify ?

Then You observed It flowing Water , but Quickly stopped everything and Cleaned Up . OK Please Clarify ? ( TESTING with out it Connected ) ?

The Surprise was - It Detached Itself - Or - that It was Functioning Properly , but You still had a Leak into the Cabin !

Sorry - just freaking Confused , there is a connection up above also , and the Cleaned Connection You redid are You sure You got that Installed Deep enough with Out any
scratches - assuming - as You stated - Overwhelmed.

Did You see Water Leaking In Immediately or You felt Wet Carpet a day later , as sometimes the Water will ( Wick Up the Sides ) then resettle Down to Floor
as You Pull It Out . ( 24 hours later )

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if I wasn't clear...I was in a bit of a hurry. We had a heavy storm on Friday and there was probably a quarter inch of rain in the drivers foot well, entering the car from the dead pedal area. I pulled the A pillar, checked the drain hose for clogs (there were none) and reattached the hose. I then gently poured water into the sunroof drain and watch it drain outside the car behind the wheel. I closed the sunroof, turned the garden hose on it and water still exited behind the wheel but also poured down the A pillar. So, yes, the tube is connected but I'm still getting water in the cabin running down the pillar. Is it possible that I accidentally disconnected the tube from the sunroof drain (under the headliner)? Is there any other reason water will run down the pillar? Could the hose be clogged and backing up? I don't have a compressor to blow out any obstructions but can borrow one or use pipe cleaners to clear the full length of hose. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
My sister's S40 had the same thing happen. I did the exact same steps as you: pulled A pillar cover, tried like hell to get the elbow removed from the firewall area, and after being unsuccessful, re-inserted the drain tube end. Before I reconnected the tube, I blew on the end and felt/heard an obstruction. There was a small rubber piece (looked kind of like a tack head) at the sunroof end of the tube that popped out. Definitely something factory, as it wasn't debris.

With testing, I got water to drain out fine, but try to overwhelm it and the water goes into the liner. I think the drains can only handle so much water before it goes over the drains and into the headliner. My sister hasn't had any more leaking, so her troubles must have been in that dumb plug piece.

Is your car parked at an angle such that the water would need to primarily drain from that driver's front drain? If so, you may have had enough rain that the one drain couldn't keep up.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
1+ Central Vermont , but Nothing that looks Foreign .

Seven : Over whelming If using Hose @ Head Liner .
I believe You might have pulled Wall pass Plug by Accident when - Re-Inserting Hose . Also what You Stated : ( Disconnected Hose seems to be Main - Cause and Effect ! )

You should have at Least Used a can of Computer Air ,If No Compressor available , or better yet Drive down to the Local Dunn Tire as to use Their Air ( Air is Important )

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! The car was parked on a level surface but maybe the water from the garden hose was too much. I'll try to get some canned air or borrow a compressor and blow the drain hose out. If I did in fact disconnect the upper end of the tube, how difficult is pulling the head liner downward?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
silly question here:
is that drain connected to the outside lower wind shield "gutters" or is it only connected to the sun roof? I rarely open my sun roof when it rains so I'm wondering when does it get clogged?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Yes Compressed Air is a Must .

Air - It - Out

I'm thinking the wall pass though - pcs. Shrink with Age & Heat , (( Small Rat Tail File and give that *pc . a Reaming Out )) . Also If You pull those Wall Pass pcs.
You'll need and Extra Long Nose Pliers to get them back in .

After a few Mists Sprays and Sprinkles - Algae forms around that - Direction change Wall pass pc. , then
the Water - backs up and stays in the Tube till the Weight and a Bump - Jar it loose - down it comes . Bad thing is it seems the Low spot of the Floors are under the Seats .

Years Ago - I'm pretty Dam sure there was a Filter of some type , which got Clogged on the Old 240's series - It was Removed to pre-vent such an Issue from Happening by Wise Volvo Tech's .

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm still trying to visualize the intelligence here. Why the F**K would you design a damn tube that goes from the OUTSIDE to the INSIDE of a vehicle, potentially creating a serious problem. It's not rocket science to keep water out of a damn car. This is where somebody lost a bet over a card game with a fellow Swedester.

Things brings me back to the good ole location of the PEM module. Having it OUTSIDE the vehicle, susceptible to water and moisture...then...duh-uhhhh we better move it to the inside of the vehicle!

I'm surprised the glove compartment wasn't put in the trunk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts