SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80

11K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  turbot 
#1 ·
http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif
I don't like it one bit.
I took my time, studied it real carefully and IMO I think it's a VERY BORING CAR.
The seats are terrific, http://********************/smile/emthup.gif one of, if not, THE best seat Volvo has ever put in a car. The gauge cluster is very nice and that's about it.
The rest of the dash board from the gauges to the right door reminds me of something from the late 80's poor looking wood, to boot.
The exterior looks good from the rear quarter view but the front,
oh that awful front end.
An S40 (new coorperate) front pinched down (narrow) and totally out of proportion with the rest of the car and looks totally out of place.
The car looks as if it was designed from three cars, an S40 from the fenders forward, a mix of old S80 and S60 in the cabin area, ( windshield to the rear glass), from there back it looks more like a modified S60.
Nothing new here design wise, ULTRA conservative and very very BORING.
If you want to be noticed at all do NOT buy one as it is totally annonymous.
It's not an ugly car, it isn't, but it's not a fresh design either and after almost 9 years you would think they could come up with something a bit more modern and at least fresh and different
I'm very disturbed at the way this (Volvo) design trend) is going, NOWHERE

JRL

Modified by JRL at 4:32 PM 4-19-2006

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (I Roll)

It looks different in person.
Looks better in those pictures, I was VERY UNDERwhelmed and quite disappointed

#5 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (nobbe3728)

New Lexus 450 Li, Lh or whatever it's called, now THERE is something new, different and gorgeous even if they "Banglized" the trunk a wee
bit

#6 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (JRL)

As always, thanks for the research and updates. I was holding out hope for the re-design, as we just can't live with the small R back seat area as I am so tall that when I drive, only a child can really sit behind me. Yannis also has said the back cabin "felt about the same" as the current one.

I know you like Lexus, we love my wife's new IS 350, so next year I will still glance at the S80, but the real comparison for me probably will be the new large Lexus, maybe even the hybrid if the technology really lives up to last week's hype and also the BMW 7-series....

#7 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (FireR)

I'm surprised at your review JRL. I thought the exact opposite: when I first saw the photos, I was very disappointed and found it boring and anonymous, but when I saw the real thing, I fell in love with it right away! The first thing that struck me is how small it actually looks. There was a V50 next to it I could have sworn the S80 was smaller. The whole car is extremely sleek and aggressive looking.
At least we agree about the seats, they are truly amazing!!! I really didn't feel like getting out of them.

Just goes to show how it's totally a matter of taste... but the car definitely has to be seen "in the flesh" as it is indeed completely different from the photos, for the better or for the worst...

#8 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (FireR)

Quote, originally posted by FireR »

I know you like Lexus, we love my wife's new IS 350, so next year I will still glance at the S80, but the real comparison for me probably will be the new large Lexus, maybe even the hybrid if the technology really lives up to last week's hype and also the BMW 7-series....
That thing's unreal.

Gorgeous, with technology that we know most probably WILL work properly right out of the box

#10 ·

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif
ULTRA conservative and very very BORING.
If you want to be noticed at all do NOT buy one as it is totally annonymous.

Isn't that kind of the point of an S80? More than any other Volvo model, I think the S80 is for people who don't want to be seen in the factory-pimped competition. That's why they're used as limousines so much in Europe.

#11 ·
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
maybe it will "grow" on us....

when the new bangled 5 series came out, I hated it. I thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen.

Now I think they look good.
This is different. It's not ugly at all but it should have something more, it has no soul whatsoever and it just a mishmash of all current Volvo stying all rolled into one car, NOTHING NEW (styling wise) which is what I'm trying to say

#13 ·
Re: (T5_awd)

Quote, originally posted by T5_awd »

I would say. NOTHING OLD.....
I wouldn't. There is NOTHING NEW IN THIS CAR styling wise, not one thing

#14 ·
Re: (JRL)

It's true that S80 is following the styling presented in S40 & S60.
But so is also Audi doing with the A4, A6 and A8.

Anyway I need to see the S80 in live after I can say the final word, but based on the pictures it looks good.

#16 ·
Re: (turbot)

Quote, originally posted by turbot »

But they took a nice but slightly dated car and made it "NEW" and fresh looking, Volvo did NOT. The S80 looks old before it even hits the showrooms

#17 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (BenES)

Quote, originally posted by BenES »

I just saw a new LS460 on the road this evening...
And???????????????

#18 ·
Re: (turbot)

Quote, originally posted by turbot »

Anyway I need to see the S80 in live after I can say the final word, but based on the pictures it looks good.

Exactly, you can't build a NEW car where EVERYTHING is NEW. Volvo has to build their new cars with Volvos design features. It looks good in the pictures and even better IRL! Especially S80 V8 Executive! What a car!
And the sound from the V8!
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by T5_awd at 11:02 AM 4-21-2006

#19 ·

New Lexus 450 Li, Lh or whatever it's called, now THERE is something new, different and gorgeous even if they "Banglized" the trunk a wee
bit

It's about damn time they came out with an LWB LS....

#20 ·

But they took a nice but slightly dated car and made it "NEW" and fresh looking, Volvo did NOT. The S80 looks old before it even hits the showrooms

I definitely do not think that the Volvo looks old. I went to the show yesterday, and say that the model very, very carefully advances the styling of the current cars. It looks quite a bit different than the outgoing S80.

Unfortunately, it is nothing new or startling. The rear, while good looking, reminds me of the S60 blended with the outgoing generation of Merc S-Class. The front really, really reminds me of the Maserati Quattroporte...unfortunately. I say that because it is the worst view on that (and both) cars. The headlights are too small and the grill is too big. Fishy looking.

The interior is really nice except for the passenger side. Damn, they went BACK to the T-Square look for the dash character lines. Way too linear.

I don't think you can compare this car to a Lexus LS460. At least, I hope they don't compete price wise. The Lexus will BLOW it away. That car was THE most impressive car at the show.

I guess the most telling thing is that I thought the S80 was ok, and my wife loved it. She comes from a long line of Volvos, and i'm just a car guy. Should tell you something, no?

#21 ·

bit

Talking about comparing apples to oranges...
Not that the car was not pretty but THAT is what i call design without imagination. Typical Japanese design; a blend of what the others pioneered.

Yannis

#22 ·

Jim,

you are way out to lunch on this one. It's OK to post your review and I respect your opinion although I disagree. The S80 is a very elegant and i question your efforts to trash this car while you have not even driven it.

You do not like it, that's fine. But you are claiming there is nothing NEW about this car? Are you out of your mind or are you still suffering from the effects of your '60s lifestyle? How much time did you spend in and out of that car? 30 seconds? If you had spent QUALITY time and made the effort to appreciate HOW this car has been constructed and all the NEW technology that it offers, then you would appreciate it even more.

I think it is a good looking sedan (not even close to having pieces from an S40) that is a true evolution of the current S80.

Let the people go see one, drive one and decide for themselves if they are going to agree with your incredulous comments or not.

Yannis

#23 ·
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

I disagree.
It MAY BE, (although I doubt it) a techno wonder, but if you read I was obviously referring to the styling, inside an out.
I did say the seats seem to be the best Volvo has ever had and the dash POD is sort of cool but the styling is SO evolutionary without one single point to go after, it's quite sad.
The rest of the interior is dated (the dashboard from the gauge pod to the right door is erriely reminicent of something from the 80's I can't remember what car though), the wood on the NY show car was dull and actually quite awful.
The S40 nose (and don't say it doesn't have an S40 style nose, it does), which I don't care for anyway is very "pinched" looking on a larger car and doesn't flow with the rest of the car, way too narrow and "pointed"
The side is a mishmash of S60 and S80, nothing really wrong but nothing new either. Same with the rear, same old, same old.
You can ask the person I was with, I spent more time with the S80 than the rest of the show combined, probably a good 15 minutes. I was really hoping for a breakthrough, it didn't happen
for me. I am disappointed.
I really hope that at least it's a modern car underneath, (engine, trans and chassis)
You never know because of my bad back I may even wind up driving one. I didn't say it was distasteful, it isn't, it's very pleasent, BUT, as I will say for the 3rd time, nothing to stir the blood and if I were in the target market it wouldn't be my first choice. When buyers spend their money on a 50K car MOST, not all, but MOST want something new and fresh looking, this ain't.
You know I have no axe to grind, on the contrary, I was really hoping I would fall in love, nothing TO fall in love with here, maybe like, but not love or soul stirring one bit.
It also didn't help the car in the colors that the two cars had, again very DULL.
It may look a lot better in a better color and nicer (larger) wheels and perhaps lowered an inch
(I also take real offense to say I'm out to lunch. You know my cars, you've seen most of them, I think I have rather decent taste).

Modified by JRL at 6:31 PM 4-22-2006

#24 ·

I still dont understand!!

It's a new car but with Volvos design features. Everybody does it! Look at MB, Audi, Lexus, BMW! It looks great and I know it's great to drive. Especially with the V8 and awd. Will smoke a S60/V70R GT any day any time. If you like to do some redlight-racing

I don't see anything old in the interior....

#25 ·

I disagree.
It MAY BE, (although I doubt it) a techno wonder, but if you read I was obviously referring to the styling, inside an out.

So, since WHEN is it right for anyone (incl. you) to try to influence people on NOT buying a car strictly based on looks?

Quote »
I did say the seats seem to be the best Volvo has ever had and the dash POD is sort of cool but the styling is SO evolutionary without one single point to go after, it's quite sad.

Memorize THIS comment and read on.

Quote »
The rest of the interior is dated (the dashboard from the gauge pod to the right door is erriely reminicent of something from the 80's I can't remember what car though), the wood on the NY show car was dull and actually quite awful.

OK...your desire to criticize diluted your judgment. Is the instrument panel EVOLUTIONARY or something out of the '80s? I definitely do not think it is an '80s look and I doubt Volvo's WELL PAID interior designers would have risked their careers in doing so...

Quote »
The S40 nose (and don't say it doesn't have an S40 style nose, it does), which I don't care for anyway is very "pinched" looking on a larger car and doesn't flow with the rest of the car, way too narrow and "pointed"

No it is not an S40 nose but even if it were, so???? I do not see you criticizing ALL the other brands where their noses look the same throughout their entire sedans' line!

Quote »
Same with the rear, same old, same old.

You 've got to be kidding me!!!

Quote »
You can ask the person I was with, I spent more time with the S80 than the rest of the show combined, probably a good 15 minutes.

Then, your time was ill spent. You were, probably, trying to formulate all your criticism in your mind so that you can come here and write it up...

Quote »
I was really hoping for a breakthrough, it didn't happen
for me. I am disappointed.

I can apperciate that...

Quote »
I really hope that at least it's a modern car underneath, (engine, trans and chassis)

Of course it is and am surprised with teh all the time you are spedning here that you do not see it...

Quote »
When buyers spend their money on a 50K car MOST, not all, but MOST want something new and fresh looking, this ain't.

With all due respect, you are wrong. Wait for the first press writings...

Quote »

It also didn't help the car in the colors that the two cars had, again very DULL.

We are in agreement here.

Quote »

(I also take real offense to say I'm out to lunch. You know my cars, you've seen most of them, I think I have rather decent taste).

Please do not even though I meant it! Your tatse in cas has absolutely nothing to do with, what I term, your inaccurate description of this car.

Yannis

#26 ·
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Let's see in a year or so how sales are going. Maybe I'm wrong, if so, I'll be the first to say so, if, however I'm right, I'll expect the same from you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.