SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif
I don't like it one bit.
I took my time, studied it real carefully and IMO I think it's a VERY BORING CAR.
The seats are terrific, http://********************/smile/emthup.gif one of, if not, THE best seat Volvo has ever put in a car. The gauge cluster is very nice and that's about it.
The rest of the dash board from the gauges to the right door reminds me of something from the late 80's poor looking wood, to boot.
The exterior looks good from the rear quarter view but the front,
oh that awful front end.
An S40 (new coorperate) front pinched down (narrow) and totally out of proportion with the rest of the car and looks totally out of place.
The car looks as if it was designed from three cars, an S40 from the fenders forward, a mix of old S80 and S60 in the cabin area, ( windshield to the rear glass), from there back it looks more like a modified S60.
Nothing new here design wise, ULTRA conservative and very very BORING.
If you want to be noticed at all do NOT buy one as it is totally annonymous.
It's not an ugly car, it isn't, but it's not a fresh design either and after almost 9 years you would think they could come up with something a bit more modern and at least fresh and different
I'm very disturbed at the way this (Volvo) design trend) is going, NOWHERE

JRL

Modified by JRL at 4:32 PM 4-19-2006

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (JRL)

Was this your thought when Volvo put out the first pictures of the S80 a couple months ago, or does it look different in person?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (I Roll)

It looks different in person.
Looks better in those pictures, I was VERY UNDERwhelmed and quite disappointed

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (nobbe3728)

New Lexus 450 Li, Lh or whatever it's called, now THERE is something new, different and gorgeous even if they "Banglized" the trunk a wee
bit

·
Registered
181 Posts

As always, thanks for the research and updates. I was holding out hope for the re-design, as we just can't live with the small R back seat area as I am so tall that when I drive, only a child can really sit behind me. Yannis also has said the back cabin "felt about the same" as the current one.

I know you like Lexus, we love my wife's new IS 350, so next year I will still glance at the S80, but the real comparison for me probably will be the new large Lexus, maybe even the hybrid if the technology really lives up to last week's hype and also the BMW 7-series....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (FireR)

I'm surprised at your review JRL. I thought the exact opposite: when I first saw the photos, I was very disappointed and found it boring and anonymous, but when I saw the real thing, I fell in love with it right away! The first thing that struck me is how small it actually looks. There was a V50 next to it I could have sworn the S80 was smaller. The whole car is extremely sleek and aggressive looking.
At least we agree about the seats, they are truly amazing!!! I really didn't feel like getting out of them.

Just goes to show how it's totally a matter of taste... but the car definitely has to be seen "in the flesh" as it is indeed completely different from the photos, for the better or for the worst...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (FireR)

Quote, originally posted by FireR »

I know you like Lexus, we love my wife's new IS 350, so next year I will still glance at the S80, but the real comparison for me probably will be the new large Lexus, maybe even the hybrid if the technology really lives up to last week's hype and also the BMW 7-series....
That thing's unreal.

Gorgeous, with technology that we know most probably WILL work properly right out of the box

·
Registered
687 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif
ULTRA conservative and very very BORING.
If you want to be noticed at all do NOT buy one as it is totally annonymous.

Isn't that kind of the point of an S80? More than any other Volvo model, I think the S80 is for people who don't want to be seen in the factory-pimped competition. That's why they're used as limousines so much in Europe.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
maybe it will "grow" on us....

when the new bangled 5 series came out, I hated it. I thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen.

Now I think they look good.
This is different. It's not ugly at all but it should have something more, it has no soul whatsoever and it just a mishmash of all current Volvo stying all rolled into one car, NOTHING NEW (styling wise) which is what I'm trying to say

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (T5_awd)

Quote, originally posted by T5_awd »

I would say. NOTHING OLD.....
I wouldn't. There is NOTHING NEW IN THIS CAR styling wise, not one thing

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: (JRL)

I wouldn't. There is NOTHING NEW IN THIS CAR styling wise, not one thing

It's true that S80 is following the styling presented in S40 & S60.
But so is also Audi doing with the A4, A6 and A8.

Anyway I need to see the S80 in live after I can say the final word, but based on the pictures it looks good.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

New Lexus 450 Li, Lh or whatever it's called

I just saw a new LS460 on the road this evening...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (turbot)

Quote, originally posted by turbot »

But they took a nice but slightly dated car and made it "NEW" and fresh looking, Volvo did NOT. The S80 looks old before it even hits the showrooms

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Went to the New York Auto show, review of the S80 (BenES)

Quote, originally posted by BenES »

I just saw a new LS460 on the road this evening...
And???????????????

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: (turbot)

Quote, originally posted by turbot »

Anyway I need to see the S80 in live after I can say the final word, but based on the pictures it looks good.

Exactly, you can't build a NEW car where EVERYTHING is NEW. Volvo has to build their new cars with Volvos design features. It looks good in the pictures and even better IRL! Especially S80 V8 Executive! What a car!
And the sound from the V8!
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by T5_awd at 11:02 AM 4-21-2006

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts

New Lexus 450 Li, Lh or whatever it's called, now THERE is something new, different and gorgeous even if they "Banglized" the trunk a wee
bit

It's about damn time they came out with an LWB LS....

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (JRL)

But they took a nice but slightly dated car and made it "NEW" and fresh looking, Volvo did NOT. The S80 looks old before it even hits the showrooms

I definitely do not think that the Volvo looks old. I went to the show yesterday, and say that the model very, very carefully advances the styling of the current cars. It looks quite a bit different than the outgoing S80.

Unfortunately, it is nothing new or startling. The rear, while good looking, reminds me of the S60 blended with the outgoing generation of Merc S-Class. The front really, really reminds me of the Maserati Quattroporte...unfortunately. I say that because it is the worst view on that (and both) cars. The headlights are too small and the grill is too big. Fishy looking.

The interior is really nice except for the passenger side. Damn, they went BACK to the T-Square look for the dash character lines. Way too linear.

I don't think you can compare this car to a Lexus LS460. At least, I hope they don't compete price wise. The Lexus will BLOW it away. That car was THE most impressive car at the show.

I guess the most telling thing is that I thought the S80 was ok, and my wife loved it. She comes from a long line of Volvos, and i'm just a car guy. Should tell you something, no?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts