SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this 04 S60R with 84k miles and somehow I overlooked this before purchasing, but the PCV system seems to have gone bad. The only tell-tale sign comes from the "glove test." I did it on a warm engine (after a 5 minute trip to the store) and the glove inflated slowly until it was fully inflated. I need to go back through and double check the hoses for leaks, but as far as I'm aware, there's no other signs of the PCV system being bad. I haven't seen a single drop of oil in my garage, under the oil filler cap, over the valves, or coming from the PCV hose near the oil filler cap. Likewise, no apparent leaks around any seals known to blow with a bad PCV system. Likewise, the dipstick stays in place just fine and there are no codes coming up.

Given all of that, I know it's best to replace the system ASAP, before I do have an issue. I can get the money to order the PCV system kit from IPD within the next few weeks. Given I'm mechanically savvy, and I have an engineer friend with a garage full of tools, I will be doing the work myself to save money. I will also be using the resources here as reference. Hopefully, when all is said and done, I will have a completely restored PCV system, sound of mind, and only have spent $350. Thing is, am I safe driving this for a month? I plan on going easy on her as to not make matters worse. Should I be fine for the next ~750 miles or so that I'll have to drive before replacing the system? Likewise, is it possible there's nothing wrong with the system and the "glove test" was just a fluke? Thanks

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Think of this as congestive heart failure for your crankcase ventilation system. The glove filling during idle most likely means that your PCV valve is clogged and aldo sounds like the heated tube from the oil trap to the turbo inlet is congested as well.

There still may be enough of a path between the oil trap and the turbo intake to where you are not blowing out seals or creating oil leaks yet, just like the guy in need of a coronary hasn't neccessarily keeled over from a heart attack yet. Problem is it may be waiting in the near future and when is a mystery. Just like the guy waiting to keel over, you might just want to get to that point and deal with it when you get there.

The biggest downside to all this is that a crusty PCV system at that mileage indicates that someone was using really crappy oil in the car and not changing oil at needed intervals. A quality oil changed on schedule will not sludge up the PCV system so this indicates the opposite.

Even though I replaced mine as part of my engine rebuild, it was still in great shape at 160K miles, but then again I've always used synth or synth blends and changed the oil every 4-6K miles.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
^That's an awesome explination. In my experience replace pcv!!! No point on skimping with these caRs anywhere. Will only lead to issues sooner or later.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think of this as congestive heart failure for your crankcase ventilation system. The glove filling during idle most likely means that your PCV valve is clogged and aldo sounds like the heated tube from the oil trap to the turbo inlet is congested as well.

There still may be enough of a path between the oil trap and the turbo intake to where you are not blowing out seals or creating oil leaks yet, just like the guy in need of a coronary hasn't neccessarily keeled over from a heart attack yet. Problem is it may be waiting in the near future and when is a mystery. Just like the guy waiting to keel over, you might just want to get to that point and deal with it when you get there.

The biggest downside to all this is that a crusty PCV system at that mileage indicates that someone was using really crappy oil in the car and not changing oil at needed intervals. A quality oil changed on schedule will not sludge up the PCV system so this indicates the opposite.

Even though I replaced mine as part of my engine rebuild, it was still in great shape at 160K miles, but then again I've always used synth or synth blends and changed the oil every 4-6K miles.
Good perspective to put it in, thanks. I'm assuming it's also a mystery as to how severe the heart attack will be when it happens? Will symptoms start slowly appearing, such as the dipstick blowing out, oil leaks, and busted hoses, or is it possible to have a big failure all of a sudden? Basically, will I be safe to drive the car until more symptoms start popping up? At which point I should then replace the PCV system? Or should I just replace it ASAP?

Yeah that's concerning me. The carfax shows meticulous maintenance up until about 65k miles, and then it only shows a few maintenance records since. The oil/filter was last changed at 81k miles, and before that, at 76k miles, then before that was at 58k when the 1st owner had it (dealer maintained on schedule through 63k miles). When I got the car, the oil was low (just below fill line) and very dirty. It has since been replaced with full synthetic. I'm assuming the second owner didn't take the best care of it. I did notice that when it was sold at auction, there's a report of the car not passing emissions in Colorado with 64k miles. 20 miles later, there's a report of it passing emissions. I understand that the PCV system is part of emissions, could this be an early sign of a failing system?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
As long as you keep an eye out for issues you should be able to wait. Then again you may regret such advice if you blow out something like the rear main seal since its not an easy fix. The primary risk is blown out seals after all. As long as the glove was not blowing up like a party balloon you should be safe for the moment.

PCV really can't keep it from passing inspection so it probably had other issues causing trouble. Glad I live in the part of CO without emission checks, lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as you keep an eye out for issues you should be able to wait. Then again you may regret such advice if you blow out something like the rear main seal since its not an easy fix. The primary risk is blown out seals after all. As long as the glove was not blowing up like a party balloon you should be safe for the moment.

PCV really can't keep it from passing inspection so it probably had other issues causing trouble. Glad I live in the part of CO without emission checks, lol
Ok, sounds good, thanks for the advice. Late October and early November I'll have some disposable income, so I'll replace the system around then. In the meantime, I'll baby it and refrain from road-trips. The glove slowly filled up with air. I could squeeze the glove to deflate it and it would fill back up within a few seconds. Keep in mind I also used a hair-band to seal it, whereas I've seen a lot of people use just the glove (not the best seal.) The glove itself didn't blow up outside of its normal shape.

Huh, out of curiosity, what could cause that? Anything I should keep an eye out for? The inspection was in Greeley/Fort Collins are if that helps. Are they strict up there?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
A glove with a perfect seal should still experience vacuum and be drawn in at idle. Don't let other videos fool you wherein someone may not have had a tight seal on the glove.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
OP, I just got my PVC done. It was the original part and still looked great @ 130K. My indy is a retired Volvo tech and he says AZ systems tend to stay clean except for one small hose (the one he cut out) and that at his dealership, they would usually just cut that line and replace it. Oil traps are usually not the problem in the desert.
I still have mine and am willing to give it to you for shipping cost.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If the glove gets sucked in hard during idle it could be a sign the trap to turbo hose is getting clogged. If that is open you shouldn't be getting a vacuum in the crankcase which is bad for the system as well since it will suck in crap past the seals.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP, I just got my PVC done. It was the original part and still looked great @ 130K. My indy is a retired Volvo tech and he says AZ systems tend to stay clean except for one small hose (the one he cut out) and that at his dealership, they would usually just cut that line and replace it. Oil traps are usually not the problem in the desert.
I still have mine and am willing to give it to you for shipping cost.
Wait, are you still in Tucson? I'm in Tucson. How much did your guy charge and would he take my business? I was thinking of running my car over to revolvstore. If it's something as simple as a hose I could do it myself, but I'd prefer to have someone take a look and diagnose the problem. The car was primarily in the LA are until 65k miles, then spent the next 15k in Colorado, so it's barely an Arizona car. Definitely appreciate the offer, I'll have it checked out and see what I need, I may be in contact soon.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wait, are you still in Tucson? I'm in Tucson. How much did your guy charge and would he take my business? I was thinking of running my car over to revolvstore. If it's something as simple as a hose I could do it myself, but I'd prefer to have someone take a look and diagnose the problem. The car was primarily in the LA are until 65k miles, then spent the next 15k in Colorado, so it's barely an Arizona car. Definitely appreciate the offer, I'll have it checked out and see what I need, I may be in contact soon.
You don't have the sapphire SR that I saw recently around DM, do you?
PM me. I have heard stories about Revolvstore & that's all I will say b/c I don't want to spread hearsay.
Glad I have my guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts