SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was crossing a busy intersection at about 35-40MPH when a Ford Taurus decided to turn to his left in front of me on my right of way.

I hit him full force after attempting to brake (full on ABS) I T-boned his car so bad that his passenger side B pillar is now 10 inches away from his center console.

My poor T5-R that has just had 14 weeks in service and 3500.00 dollars worth of repairs and maintenance is most likely totaled.

Both front bags went off and the roof is buckled by the sunroof. The front bumper is bent back beneath the car to the point that the grill is about 4 inches off the ground. Both front fenders pushed back about 6 inches and are buckled above the wheel well openings. Hood is buckled so much you could put your head in the engine compartment from either side of the car and there is about an inch gap above the rear doors where they are supposed to meet the roof.

I got hit full force by the air bag (yes I was wearing my belt) I felt the rear of the car come off the ground and rotate 90 degrees to my left. The bag burned both my forearms and three of my fingers on my right hand are broken. I just spent the last 3 hours in the ER having glass shards removed from my hands and face.

I feel like I'm going loose big on this one...He got the ticket, but I don't know what my car will be worth in the end

Scott

·
Registered
422 Posts
Scott,

Sorry to hear that man. Well, maybe it's the best thing, if the car is totalled, because I know it was giving you some serious trouble. Well, your life was saved, it looks like you still got hurt pretty badly. My dad owned a 198? 740 Turbo 5-speed, and he t-boned some lady at 50 and she was turning doing about 20 and he broke a couple fingers on his right hand.

Feel better!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Scott,

My condolences, I am really glad that you are okay. Sorry to hear about the car as well, especially since you worked so hard in getting it running correctly.

When my dad totaled his 960, he got burns on his arms, face, and fingers as well because of the airbag. It took just a little while to heal.

I hope everything turns out for the best, and hope you get better quickly.

-Drew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked on Autotrader and ebay, does any body know the REAL value of the T5-R? Prospero?

How can I propose this to the Insurance Co.?

I would really like to get another T5-R or 850R any help finding a nice one would be appreciated considering that mine was finally done and done right!

Thanks for your condolences....Scott

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
My condolences also. That blows. Look around and see what you find. I have a wholesaler buddy in PA who can find cars also. If you are looking for something specific, shoot me an email and I'll get you more info.

If I were you, and they total it, I'd ask them if they'd consider selling it to you. You're going to lose out, that's for sure. It's never worth what you have invested, but if the alcantara seats are in good shape, and you can salvage teh suspension, wheels, tires, ECU etc. you could always pick up a T-5 and build your own R. You'd have all the parts you need and it'd be more unique actually.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Scott,

I know you probably don't want to hear another "I am sorry" but I am glad you are OK; cars can be replaced, bodies cannot.

Hang in there; everything in life happens for a reason.

As far as what you are going to get from the insurance, go to the NADA site and also the Kelley Blue Book site and calculate RETAIL, not trade-in or "avg. loan" numbers...And you must be firm with your company in case they are trying to lowball you, very common with insurance companies when you are in need.

Best of luck,

Yannis

·
Registered
353 Posts
Scott~

I'm so sorry man, that sounds like a terrible accident, i'm just happy that you were driving the T-5R. Had you been in another car, i'm sure you would not have come out in such good condition.

As far as the car's concerned, the T-5R is worth right around 14000 bucks retail. You can always try to argue for more due to it's rarity, but who knows. I would suggest going to canada, picking up a manual "R" car and making us all jealous.

I hope you feel better and that everything turs out well for you from one T-5R owner to another!!

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Man...that blows. I feel sorry for you man...I can just imagine the pain seeing your baby ended up like that. I know when I saw Prospero's car right after his accident...man almost had tear in my eyes. Very disturbing to see that happen to the car we have worked on and played with the past year ending up like that.

I know exactly how annoyed and angry you were when that happened. Same thing happpened to me once before I was driving my ex's Altima. The dumb girl decided to make a left right in front of me just when I was approaching, she could of done it either earlier or later, but NOOOO...she just had to do it right in front of me.

Couldn't believe the insurance company settled for 20~30% at our fault since I didn't T-bone her right in the center. They said if i had T-boned her in the center, I'd only be <10% at fault, but if i hit her at her front fender...she would be completely at fault.

I hope your situation is less 'sticky'.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok and I hope the insurance work for you and you can get another one. These cars are built for these bad situations and I and glad to see she did her job in the end. As far as the first reply to this topic pay no mind to the "may have been the best thing " line what B.S.

·
Registered
313 Posts
damn dude, i'm really sorry to hear that. I'd have to say the probability of it being totaled is about 90%. I had what I would call a bad fender bender where a wrangler hit me when I was stopped. He swerved to the left, so all the dammage was on one side, but it wasn't that bad. the chassy was still fine and everything, but the bill was already 3,600. Be sure to ask more than one place on how much it will cost. Some people might even give you a deal, and then say they will charge the amount of higher person, and give you the difference
Good luck man!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Scott! Ouch, I know the pain all too well. The car will be totalled for sure. Now is where you will have to make a decision. Will you buy another T5R? If so, start scrapping. Better yet, buy the car back from the insurance company and part it out. I have had soo many people want parts off of mine that it would have been worth ~$3k. I got mine for $1k and will still be driving it in California. Depending upon how clean the aclantra is...maybe I will be able to arrange something. The one thing to keep in mind is the fact that the pain will go away. The car will be replaced in some way. It's just a matter of how and when. I still am in search of my replacement but they are out there. Keep your head up and think about each step before you make a move. Have a good conversation with the adjuster and make them feel your pain. They generally have been cool about sympathy $$$.

Finally, give the insurance companies your bills from recent. You may get some green back.

Good luck and glad to hear that you walked away.

Prospero

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
thank god for volvo safety. its such a shame that things like thses happen. i too no what it is like to loose a loved a car.
you could probly strip the car for parts?the main thing is you ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts