SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home and saw this. Someone gave my baby a kiss while I was out shopping.

On the bright side, there’s no sheet metal damage.

I’m gonna play with touch up paint first. Then maaaaaybe consider getting it painted or replacing the parts. Unfortunately they managed to ding up three separate pieces (upper bumper, lower bumper, fender flare).

I really don’t want to claim insurance because I’m hoping my rates will calm down soon after some unfortunate events a few years ago.

I’m gonna need medication because the car-off says replace the parts, but the the reasonable part of my brain says touch it up and forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
The good news is that you can buy those parts as prepainted. Makes it an easy swap at home.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Pic didn’t work but I feel your pain. The car will never be the same. We’re not allowed to have nice stuff, so suck it up and hope that this unfortunate and maddening event is all that you get. Fingers crossed for you, fellow Marylander!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I can get the parts prepainted. The question is whether I want to drop 1200 or so to have a scratch free bumper, only to have someone ruin it again.

The colors are reflections. The damage is the scrapes down the the plastic.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Oh man - sad for you that it happened and glad it didn’t involve any apparent body damage. I hope you’re able to blend it with touch up paint. If you’re successful you’re far better at it than I have ever been and I would love to learn your tips.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
I'd get a few more prices and get it fixed professionally otherwise I'd always be looking at that spot when I walk up to the car and it would drive me nuts. I've had two different "shunts" like that on our XC60 and the cost to repair was around half what you were quoted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know I can get the parts prepainted. The question is whether I want to drop 1200 or so to have a scratch free bumper, only to have someone ruin it again.

You won’t be happy until you fix it. Thats my worst nightmare, sorry it happened to you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
AARGH...******* ! The bad thing is nowadays no matter how far and remote you park away from the entrance chances are when you come back there will be a beater parked next to you that pulled in crooked.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Ouch - yeah, this pic worked. That's unreal. I don't even understand how people do things like this. It takes SECONDS to park correctly and not destroy someone else's stuff (car, fence, mailbox, whatever). So sorry.
Did it damage the sensor at all? I'd wait until Spring. Never know what will happen between now and the end of March around here in the Baltimore/DC area.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Those scratches will require some filler as they appear to deep to just try and cover up with paint. So you can op to purchase the new components which will not be cheap or pay to have a shop sand down and build up where the scratches are and then blend the paint. Leaving it like it is will just make you pissed off all the time. I purposely am very careful in parking. Until I find a space that is wide enough I just keep driving. It appears as if someone backed out of their space and hit your car in the process. They knew what they did and decided not to leave any information. Sometimes I take pictures of the cars on either side with my phone just in case. But in the end it is just a car......

·
Registered
718 Posts
Idiots everywhere. They just don't care, or do it on purpose.

Happened to my prior XC90 a few months ago. I was furious.
Touched up to minimize harm. Not perfect, but works.

·
Registered
543 Posts
So I had something similar about a month ago, but to my front bumper. If you have a dual action rotary tool, I would first buff whatever light scratches may come out, then you have a better idea what more extensive repairs are needed. It does look like you have cuts into the paint, possibly to plastic. If you are up for it, you can try a DIY repair for a cost well under $100, not including all your sweat and time. It will involve sanding, priming/adhesive promoter, paint, and clear coat, followed by buffing. This project is beyond simply applying brushing in touch up paint (sorry no Dr. ColorChip). But, you may find it does the job in an area that likely already suffers from some measure of rock chips. At worst, you are out $100 and will still incur the same costs if you then go get it professionally redone.

Take a look at some YouTube vids to get a better sense of the labor and potential results using spray cans for coatings.

I completed my repair this past weekend. Is it perfect--No, if you look up close. However, anyone walking a few feet away or farther will never glance twice. As I don't have PPF on my front, the rock chips have already given some character to the "good side" of my front bumper, so I imagine in a month or so, I will get over the loss of perfection.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry to hear some hit and run, I had that happen to my newer Honda before I bought my Volvo, I now am more selective in where I park and what car I park next to.

There is a population out there that should not be driving due to no clue how to park or back out.

Even when you park far away from everyone else someone with a beater always wants to park by you. I always try to park by a curb and park as close as possible to it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sorry to hear some hit and run, I had that happen to my newer Honda before I bought my Volvo, I now am more selective in where I park and what car I park next to.

There is a population out there that should not be driving due to no clue how to park or back out.

Even when you park far away from everyone else someone with a beater always wants to park by you. I always try to park by a curb and park as close as possible to it.

Ditto. I am willing to walk a long way to get a better parking space. I also try to park where, if I can't get completely away from people, I park in an end spot where I am on the passenger side of the car next to me. It still doesn't guarantee that no damage will ever be done to my car, but it's worth the effort to me.

As for the damage to partridge's car, I am not handy enough to do a good touch-up job. To me, it's worth paying someone to do a professional job. Otherwise, I see the amateur touch-up and it bugs me every time. I am also cheap, so it pains me to take it to a body shop, but I have learned that it's better to do that than be peeved about it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Park... away. Away from anything you can imagine realistically happening. Uphill from being door-ed, away from rolling cart possibilities, choose well lit, not under trees for pine sap, bird crap, branches in a storm, etc., not near sidewalks, not near ramps, or bike trails. Away from the apex of a turn in rain or slippery conditions, signs/posts or railings that might get a bike chained to them. Wider the spot the better, and always next to an island or a wall if possible. Corner spots are typically best in a parking structure. Always, always think of what could happen. Yes, just a car, but OUR cars, and Volvos. If you don't look back as you walk away, you bought the wrong car...
My wife says now, after 23 years of me looking and crawling a lot to find a palatable space, "Can you just drop me off?" LOL
I've left before, without parking. Not worth it to me. Lady at the airport long term lot last year: You just got here... "Yeah. No place for me to park." She looked confused.

Ditto. I am willing to walk a long way to get a better parking space. I also try to park where, if I can't get completely away from people, I park in an end spot where I am on the passenger side of the car next to me. It still doesn't guarantee that no damage will ever be done to my car, but it's worth the effort to me.

As for the damage to partridge's car, I am not handy enough to do a good touch-up job. To me, it's worth paying someone to do a professional job. Otherwise, I see the amateur touch-up and it bugs me every time. I am also cheap, so it pains me to take it to a body shop, but I have learned that it's better to do that than be peeved about it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Zzzzzzzz said it best and that pretty much sums up how I park. I too have driven off because I don’t like the parking spaces I have to choose from. I might add do not park next to suv’s and trucks due to a wider footprint needing more space to open.

I view how well I maintain my car and where I will and won’t park as a means of maintaining my cars value after someone hit my Honda while backing out of a parking lot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Best advice I was given is to park next to a nice clean luxury car.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Even though I always try to park away from other cars, 99% of time when I come back my car is surrounded by the hugest pick up trucks or ugliest, most beat up cars, whose sole purpose in life is to park as close to my Volvo as physically possible. Sadly, there are inconsiderate morons everywhere.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Park... away. . . .
Hilarious but oh so very very true!

If you don't look back as you walk away, you bought the wrong car...
My favorite line!

I installed 4 cameras for a 360 surround view (uploaded to the cloud for retrieval) after a shopping cart dinged me and, get this, left me a note . . . Luckily in my OCD I PPF'd the entire car (roof too) right after delivery and only had to deal with PDR.
(I recommend you PPF now before it's too late!)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts