SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread was created for the sole purpose of people posting their story (or any other documented story) where their Volvo saved their life and/or prevented serious injury.

Please refrain from hijacking any of the related threads and let's try to keep everything relative to the purpose of this forum.

Pictures are not necessary although they would be very welcome.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
From Swedespeed: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ning-thing-you-have-encountered-while-driving

-----------------------
(Lengthy post - my forte!)
---
(written July 2004)
Volvo - An Amazon Story.
It was a dark and stormy night… - oops, wrong story, that was a ’54 Taunus sedan.
It was calm and sunny but cold on that Sunday morning after Thanksgiving 1976 and US80 through the central Alabama bayous was quiet save a few truckers dodging I-20 detours and a white 1967 Volvo station wagon trundling back to Texas with grinning newly-weds up front and a preschooler in back wrapped in a comforter with her teddy.
The ’67 122S estate car came to me in the strangest of coincidences. A year earlier, I had given my ’62 122S 4-door sedan to the paperboy for his 16th birthday as he and both sisters had fallen in love with the car after using it to complete drivers’ Ed. I was piloting the first VW Dasher sold in Lawton but at the time was filling up my wife’s ’68 Cutlass at Ft. Sill while she waited impatiently at the wheel. The 5-gallon maximum was still in effect from the first embargo fiasco and the joint was jumping with long lines to the pumps plus a wait to pay out. As I returned to the Oldsmobile what should be pulling up but this Amazon Kombi complete with a screaming infant and over-heated parents. The sergeant saluted briskly as if raising his arm would chase the torrid Oklahoma summer. My wife sensed immediately what was about to transpire and pulsed the twin Smittys with a lengthy stab at the pedal pretending to keep the ac pumping. Fifteen minutes later five humans and two automobiles began life anew.
It was a done deal that weekend. My ex took the Dasher, the house and the money while I swapped the Cutlass plus $100 for the Volvo then traded my medal-laden army uniform for Levis and loafers. This would not be the last time. Ten years hence, I would again demonstrate emotional immaturity at a very high level and bond with yet another old Volvo at the expense of a long-term marriage.
US80 was a Hoover-era route with 9’ lanes, 4” center stripe and 8 inches of dead grass run-off cascading in descent 35 feet to frozen earth. Visibility was endless and the perfectly tuned B18 purred at 85 while my pretty passenger poured coffee and exposed carefully wrapped biscuits made from hog fat by my mother-in-law. Life was good.
Suddenly my beautiful bride shrieked and pointed ahead. I immediately recognized the object in our lane hurdling toward us at mach two. The dual wheels were still attached to the axle and had spin-stabilized after breaking loose from the approaching 18-wheeler. This assembly appeared identical to the one stolen from my Korean DMZ-based nuclear weapons van while I slept, frozen to my cot, just inches away.
The Volvo’s flawless bumper and grille absorbed the impact as the truck roared by with its clueless driver. With the wagon loaded to max I was running 40/36 in the ZX’s which made the 16+” steering wheel turn easily but gave little control at 80 mph. The car headed for the bayou so I braked and steered left. The two wheels on the pavement caught traction and we shot across the road directly in front of an eastbound Plymouth Aster.
The Volvo rotated 180 degrees in all three directions while airborne. At somewhere near 70 mph in reverse this Swedish projectile impacted terra firma roof-first causing every window to explode tiny cubes of glass outward and spewing toys, tools, luggage, and eighty pounds of frozen steaks about the Alabama countryside. We were unhurt.
Hanging in her seatbelt, my wife replaced the lid on the half-full thermos (visualize that!) then slid out the side window as the girl exited the comforter and gently placed the teddy on the headliner. The engine was at high idle but running fine. I shut everything down then crawled along the roof and out the hatch bringing the bear and his friend with me.
The odor of gasoline prompted me to assemble the family a safe distance from the wreck. Wrapped in blankets we wept, prayed and sang to the empty highway then dined on the rescued biscuits and coffee. We heard the crunch of tires on frozen grass – the Plymouth.
The driver had seen the spiraling Volvo in his mirrors, stopped in Lowndesboro to call the Highway Patrol then returned to count the dead at Streety Creek. I climbed the steep slope and approached the man as the Trooper arrived with the truck driver. The officer took in the scene, stared at the crushed Volvo then asked if anyone was still alive. I had not noticed that the chilly survivors were motionless under the mound of blankets.
The Hayneville town rescue ambulance made the scene with a wrecker in tow. Once the Trooper was convinced we were just fine he asked volunteers to rescue the cargo. As we filled the ambulance with Lego and Green Eggs and Ham, I noticed my wife chatting endlessly with the Plymouth driver. They had graduated from the same high school class in Columbus, Georgia. As the rescue squad headed for Hayneville to store our goodies we wrapped up the accident report then stuffed six people and the teddy into the Plymouth for the return trip to Columbus. The Volvo was towed to Demopolis, still rolling! The truck driver gave us his last $20 bill.
Normalcy returned to Texas in 1977 as we sold the ’76 Pinto and bulked up the Volvo fleet with another ’67 122S wagon (from Switzerland), a ’68 142 (mint), a nearly perfect ’68 1800S, a one-owner ’66 122S 4-door sedan (‘Lil Ben) and a dumpy ’66 122S wagon which found new life two years later in the hands of Volvo lover in Hawaii.
While summer vacationing in Columbus in 1982 we visited Robert Ingram of Smiths Station, Alabama. Driving the Old River Road in Ben (the only Volvo with ac), we arrived late to find the humans had gone to church and left some twenty old Volvos unguarded in the Alabama forest. Having previously chatted with Robert about pulling parts from his stash I felt comfortable bundling up a 122 temp gauge (ether tube and all) plus two perfect hand brake guards. Ransacking an open PV444 trunk, my wife shrieked with delight. Could it be!? We opened the .50 caliber ammo can. It was! We had packed some Volvo spares for the 1976 wedding trip and now here they were 100 miles from Streety Creek! Giddy and guiltless, we took it all and left a $20 bill in the mailbox.
_ _ _
The first week of July 2004 dumped 10” of rain on central Texas but two weeks later the grass is dying in my wife’s front yard. To avoid water spotting her Toyota I’ll move it to the side street before cranking up the sprinklers. There are no Volvos to move.
------------------------------------------------------

George Dill

·
Registered
263 Posts
Volvo saved my Son's life

This is a story of how our Volvo saved our youngest son's life four years ago. We own multiple Volvos, and have for nearly 30 years. The one that sacrificed itself was a '94 850 Turbo. At the time of the accident I was re-conditioning this car as a hand-me-down to my two twins who were 15 at the time and hadn't even started their learner permit process. So the car was parked most of the time except when I was working on it or the occasional spin around town to keep the fluids and battery in shape. My son had a friend over for a sleep-over and the two boys were watching DVDs when my wife and I went to bed at around 11 PM.

At 3 AM the phone rang. It was my son. He was clearly upset and clearly not in bed. His statement "Dad, we crashed the Volvo". I said, "What?" as my consciousness returned. "Are you both OK". He said "Yes, we're fine, but Kyle ran away". I say "Who was driving" knowing that my son had neither a license nor learners permit and didn't really know how to drive a car. His response, his buddy Kyle who had only a permit. He adds "... and the car's on fire". So I quickly work through the "where are you, is there another car involved, etc." lines as I frantically pull clothes on. Turns out there was no other car, they had hit a tree, no injuries, but the car was burning.

I quickly drove the mile or so away to the crash scene. No police yet. Lots of people from the neighborhood were milling around though and a few people trying to put the fire out with a garden hose. Futile that. I check on my son who was completely uninjured as supposedly was his friend who had fled on foot. The front half of the car is brutally smashed in. It was a very big tree and clearly the impact speed was very high. The whole front half of the car was engulfed in flames, burning into the cabin. I inhaled fumes trying to help so backed off and accepted some water from the people who owned the tree. Then I notice that there seems to be a lot of kids standing around. One of them, a girl, has blood on her shirt with people cleaning up a cut on her forehead. It's all surreal to me as the police arrive and ask for the driver while the fire dept attacks the fire with a real hose. Six kids all blurt out he fled the scene. The police ask for a show of hands of the passengers. Six kids raise their hands. Oh sh*t, where'd they come from? That's seven kids in the car, five in the back seat without seatbelts. The police questioning begins and they want to know the whereabouts of the driver. I call my house and my wife looks up Kyle's mom's phone in the school directory (we were not close with Kyle's family), calls the mom, who calls Kyle on his cell and tells him to get his a$$ back to the scene ASAP or the police will be searching for him. Paramedics examine the girl and it's just a smalll superficial cut. Kyle returns and is questioned and given a sobriety test. He passes clean. The other kids not so much. No achohol in the car though.

A CHP officer tells me that those kids were lucky to be in a Volvo and not a Honda Civic. He said there would have been fatalities otherwise. The fire had started instantly upon impact, but all four doors opened flawlessly so the kids could egress quickly. I ask what they learned from Kyle. The officer said he's sober, the others admitted to a few beers but otherwise not drunk, and they were out joy-riding and Kyle was showing off his driving prowess. Unfortunately he blew through a posted stop sign and tried to make a residential street downhill-to-downhill left hand turn at speed ... 65 MPH. He didn't understand the laws of physics yet and that a Volvo 850 packed with seven people had zero chance of making that turn at that speed, so the car plowed mostly straight ahead veering left and head-on into a large tree. The broad seat backs of the front buckets kept the five kids in the back from flying through the windshield. Airbags saved the two infront. Fortunately Kyle was a REALLY bad driver and didn't make a better attempt at the turn so at least the car hit the tree head-on instead of broadside on the right side of the car ... my son was sitting in the rear-right position. Had it been broad-sided there would likely have been fatalities, likely my son.

The kids parents start arriving to pick up the kids. No injuries other than the one cut. Police don't cite anyone since parents all arrive to take custody of the kids and there were no injuries, no property damage other than my car and the burn marks on trunk of the non-descript large tree. My car gets hauled away as the only thing salvagable are the bulbs in the tail lights. Kyles parents promise to make good on the car. Two weeks later they say "sue me" (individually as they are divorced). Three weeks later Kyle sneaks out of another kids house for a joy-ride in their family SUV, gets pulled over for doing 95 MPH, and hides in the back while the other kid (who switched from the passenger seat to the drivers seat) gets hauled off by the CHP. Kyle then gets out of the car after the CHP are gone and calls a buddy to come pick him up. Turns out a month before our event he snuck out of his Mom's house taking her car for a joy-ride. No consequences for Kyle. My son was grounded for 6-months (basically house arrest) for his involvement and gets a job to pay for the car.

Postemble: We end up buying three more used Volvos for the family. Four of our close friends buy used Volvos for their kids. Our local Volvo mechanic posts pictures of the car in their lobby. Kyle is no longer welcome in our home and is an out of control bum 19 year old today living off his parents wallet. My son grew from his experience and is a straight-A student in college while holding down a job.

Advice for parents of 12-14 year olds before their kids turn 15-16: Yes, they are all our little angels at 12-14, but there are corrupting forces out there that you need to guard against at those ages. Do NOT place car keys or spare keys in the kitchen drawer, keep ALL car keys in your bedroom with you at night; Get a security system that alerts you (in your bedroom) when any door, window, or garage door is opened ... so you are alerted when someone LEAVES your house, not when someone breaks in; If you have guns keep them locked up, not in your bedside drawer; Don't keep a lot of booze around beyond a couple cold beers in the fridge and some wine, throw out any hard stuff; Be suspicious of kids coming over or sleeping over that you are unfamiliar with or that you don't really know their family background ... watch carefully who your kids are hanging out with; If you have any reason to believe your kid is in with the wrong crowd ... e.g., leaving frequently to hang out with kids you don't see or know, not coming home directly after school, grades dropping etc. ... get a set of good urine-based multi-drug testing kits for home use and randomly test your kid, frequently and unannounced. Particularly immediately after 'suspicious' events (e.g., sleeping over at a 'friends' house that you can't confirm with the friends family) and make it clear to them that when it comes to drugs that A) they have NO rights while they live under your roof; and B) the consequences of testing positive will be the loss of ALL priviledges for a very, very long time. I.e., no money, no car, no extracurricular events, no friends, school and home will be their complete existence until they are old enough to move out and "make their own decisions ... and pay for those decisions themselves". I've always told my kids, "You want freedom? You are already in complete control of your life ... you are free to choose to get a job, pay your own bills, pay for the roof over your head and you can have all the freedom you can afford. If you don't like that option, if you want me to subsidize your life-style with my wallet and I get to bear the financial risks of your behavior then I get to weight in on those decisions".

I also tell my kids that if they ever make a really bad decision, to NOT follow it up with another really bad decision by attempting to drive drunk, or get into a car with a drunk driver ... they can call me 24x7, give me a street corner address to come pick them up, and I will get them home and into bed safely without discussion. The next day we'll have an adult conversation about it but I won't ever give them cr*p for calling me.

I know some parents of pre-teens may scoff at these precautions that it could never happen to them or their kids ... I never thought my son would sneak out and allow another kid to take one of our cars for a joy ride and put seven lives at risk. But tell that to the parents a few streets away from me that lost their 16 yearold daughter two years ago. She snuck out of the house in the early AM hours to go to a party. At 3 AM she wanted to go home. The flat drunk 17 year old host of the party offered to drive her home. Mulitple of her girlfriends pleaded with her to NOT get into the car. She did anyway. A mile away from home the 17 year old boy lost control of the car at over 100 MPH on a 45 MPH surface street, hit a light pole that sheared the MBZ E320 completely in half. The girl was killed instantly and the boy survived. Her parents awoken to a 4AM visit from police that they never expected and can't ever undo. They probably wish they had been alerted by a door alarm when she left the house because she'd likely still be alive today. The boy was later convicted of 2nd degree murder and sentenced to 15-years to life in prison.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hello all, I'm new here, and because Volvo products are so rugged that's why I didn't become a freaking dead body statistic on Feb. 22 this year. Ever been in Rush hour city traffic then the unexplainable stuff just happens? Imagine the car infront just had an engine failure after swerving near you resulting in a new crash test dummy sensation. Unknown at that time, the maroon V40 had recalled brakes installed. Even with 3-4 car lengths and a brisk 40 mph pace I only had time to say a curse word, check mirror, and hand over hand the wheel HARD LEFT..... Let me say the driver side airbag not going off more than likely saved my life. No pictures of accident, the impact destroyed my phone (Not joking, it was in 3 pieces.) My glasses got snapped in half. The radiator was shoved ontop where the valve cover is located. Right passenger front seat airbag shattered the windscreen. The 91 year old women (Driver of silver 01 Caddy) had this look of pure horror as I bailed and ran to assist her. The first thing she yelled at me was did a bomb go off?! Then mumbled something about her car just quit.... No one got hurt amazingly. Oh and here's the insanity of the whole event, the V40 actually started again, even with ****ed power steering, no radiator, and front end halfway smashed to the firewall it climbed up steep hill into Bud Davis Cadillac Dealership lot despite being written off as "TOTAL Loss" by a towtruck operator.

The scariest part after the accident (realizing no one was hurt) was having to explain to the MPD cops that well it's a VOLVO and apparently even when totaled Swedish Steel will still start and move out of harms way to a safer spot to die.
Well atleast the cops and dealership had a good humor about the totaled car still being slightly driveable. Tow truck driver was NOT Amused... RIP 784-YNQ

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a Beautiful black 98 S70 GLT with some gorgeous 19" Fondmetal 9x wheels that looked like they were made specifically for the car. I swear I had people of all types complimenting me on them. Anyone from a hood thug with his own 24s on his giant American SUV, or a business man driving a BMW, Benz, etc. They all used to say they were really classy wheels and looked like they could be a premium factory wheel on it. Being a GLT i decide not to go the performance route so I put airbags in it. They were controlled via a playstation controller and I had an Alpine 7" TV in the dash so people would always hop in my car and see the controller like "whoa you got playstion in here!!??" I'd hit a couple switched like yea a different playstion than you've ever controlled. Every button did something different. Start made the whole car go up all the way, select made it drop all the way, the shoulder buttons made it go side to side and front to back, and the d-pad and O, X, Triangle & Square gave me individual control of the corners. Anyway I had 8-9 inches of travel to play with so I could go really low where the wheels tucked, about 2-3 inches of the top of the wheel hid in the rear wheel well when down all the way and it looked like it was ready for some serious off roading when up all the way. I had the neccessary body work done to it so I could actually drop it all the way even on the highway and turn a little, no more than like a 40 degree turn tho. Problem with my bag kit was it didnt have a leveling system so it handled funny if i didnt really take my time trying to make it level. So I was on a beer run the night of my buddy's grad party, not drunk, but the kid with me was and he was gonna drive his vehicle. I told him to get in my car and we could pop in a DVD for the ride haha. So we're 1/2 mile away from getting back to the party and the car just didnt take a corner. It was not a sharp corner, but the bags just didnt handle it and the car went straight into a tree. The car hit the tree with so much force the rear window blew out and sprayed us with shattered glass. The tree cracked in half about 10 feet up, the roof of the car buckled, the front doors wouldnt open, and neither of us had seat belts on.. Stupiddddd I know, but we could have died or least gotten seriously hurt. Nothing happened to either of us. We didnt even come out of the seats. The car was totaled and had full coverage so insurance payed me pretty well.

To finish on a good note, the wheels were saved and are still perfect. At this point they're over 10 years old. The TV got quite a shock but was under Best Buy protection so that got replaced. I also saved the compressor, tank, valves, computer, controller, all the power lines and most of the air lines for the bag kit but the bags themselves and the struts that came with it stayed in the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two XC90's saved my life

In 2005 my wife and I were able to purchase a loaded, brand new XC90.
It was my baby !! About 10 months later, at 12:30am, (I had been on a sleep aide later found out to make people sleep walk) I got up out of a sound sleep. Grab the keys to our XC90, with only 1400 miles on it, and in a complete sleep, got in my car and started it up. Drove two blocks and made a right turn on to a main road. I must have floored the vehicle as I came onto the road. Then approximately 1/4 of a mile, the road bears left. I didn't ! I woke up as the front end of the car struck a telephone pole 5 feet from the ground. It had hit a high curbing, and being at whatever speed I was traveling, it propelled the car up to that height. Breaking the telephone pole, and flipping my car over, onto it's roof ! All air bags deployed. Every window was busted into a million pieces everywhere. I had somehow put my seat belt on(as I always do) while in my sleep. I sat upside down in the middle of this road, on the double yellow line. Hanging by the seat belt and shoulder harness, which had locked upon impact, holding me. A man came running and bent down to ask if I was OK ? I stated I thought so ? I looked at my hands, and my torso, saw no blood. Released the seat belt and went down to the roof of my car. Climbed out of the drivers window, and looked at "My Baby"!! You can imagine the feeling ? Yet, staring at the car, and the damage, I was amazed I was not injured ! All the window posts that support the roof, were completely straight, no bending at all. Well, just imagine "that phone call" to my wife ?
Off the the Volvo dealership to order a new "2007" same exact XC90, same color, everything ! About six months later, with less than 1,000 miles on "my NEW baby", after a night of wine, I decide to go pick up some food. Keeping the story short, as it is full of guilt and regret, I was on a short stretch of highway. I woke up to to the sound of my front end smashing the back end of a Mercedes trunk. Then careening into the guard rail, and then back into the Mercedes !! Then to a stop. A man came running up, saying how fast I had gone by him ! After the incredible realization of what had just take place set in, I saw "I" was uninjured and undid my seat belt, but what about the people in the Mercedes ? The driver got out of his car, uninjured as far as I could tell. The trunk of his car, was as close to the back seat as possible. I actually hugged him when I realized he, nor his passenger were injured. I of course was arrested for Driving Under the Influence. After a horrible experience of the accident, thankful of the fact I had not injured another person, and swearing off alcohol, or any other substance that might cause such a thing to "ever" happen again. I had to hire a lawyer, went to court, was fined and lost my license. Had to go face the Volvo salesman again, and explain what happened. Told him to please find me another XC90. A 2008 this time. Figured I had better try a different color though. Well, it has just turned 2017, my wife and I (yes, she stayed with me) "still" have that 2008 XC90. I have stayed true to my word and I have celebrated nine years of sobriety !!!
Yes, the XC90 has saved my life TWICE !!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh! If I had know you had this when a jerk came around a corner in Bellingham, MA and took the front off of my new 2004 Volvo XC-70 in Feb. 2005!!! It was amazing. I didn’t know how bad it was until I got out of the car and looked. The front of the car was lying on the road. The car had been rotated 90 degrees. The jerk who hit me was sitting in his car, feigning injury. Me and my black lab, Duke, walked over to a nearby field and waited for the aftermath to begin. First the fire engines, then the ambulances. The police came over and told me to get into the ambulance to be checked at the hospital. Why? Me and Duke were fine. We called Tasca Volvo and they sent a flatbed to pick us up. So the car was fixed, $12,500 worth of repairs. But we didn’t feel the crash, were fine. Amazing car. Since then, rear-ended and still fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts