SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Steve Seekins. I am a long time (one of the founders actually) member of VCOA. Naomi and I have recently come to Maine after over 25 years in Virginia near Washington, DC. I used to write the Shade Tree Mechanic column in Rolling, and you may know Naomi from the Volvo Avenger column she wrote for several years.<p>I am working with Tom Roane to re-vitalize the Maine Chapter of VCOA and have started working on planning some events for 2006. I would love to get some input from you folks on what type of events you would like and where you would like to hold them. Some of the ideas that I would suggest are below and I would love to get any new ideas that you might have.<p>• Gathering – get together at interesting location for showing off cars and camaraderie<p>• Tech Session – specific topics of interest with experts.<p>• DIY – meet at local shops with facilities so you can do projects on your own cars with experts available. Normally these are things that can be done in about 3 hours, you must provide your own tools and parts, though we might be able to arrange for parts desk to be open and special tools to be available (like the bushing tools for 240s).<p>• Drive & Dine – scenic drive and dinner at a nice restaurant<p>• Show – come to event where cars are concourse judged by either judges or popular vote by attendees<p>• Competition driving events – Autocross, Gymkhana, …<p>• Other?<p>I would like to at least start off the season with an event in mid-May to get everyone out. I have a $400 gift certificate toward a set of Ronal wheels that we can use for a door prize for this event, and I would hope to get more goodies before the event as well. I would like to keep this event a casual and fun event. I am looking for nominations for locations with adequate parking, nearby food facilities, great scenery or other attraction, easy access.<p>• Other things that I need from you folks:<p>• Someone to help with writing short articles on Maine Chapter activities (with pictures) for Rolling.<p>• One or more folks to assist with activities planning and organizing.<p>If any of you are in the vicinity of Mid-Coast, please drop by anytime; we are in St. George, just outside of Thomaston and Rockland and abut 5 miles from the Owls Head Transportation Museum:<p>Steve Seekins & Naomi Howe<br>267 Clark Island Road<br>Spruce Head, ME 04859<br>207-594-9749<br>[email protected]<p>Current vehicles – 68 122S 2-dr, 74 164E, 04 V70R, 2000 Chinook R/V (4WD), Toyota pickup, 97 BMW K1100LT<br>

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Re: Welcome to the Maine Chapter (OwlsInBog)

Steve? STEVE?? Statue?<p>WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!<p>Word was you "retired" to Maine but some thought you ran off to Switzerland with a teenage blonde...<p>Good to "see" you on Swedespeed!<p>Just so I know this is not a cruel hoax...<p>Please fill in the blanks...<p>LSM=<p>L=<p>S=<p>M=<p>...then I'll be comfortable talking to a ghost.<p>George Dill<p>Temple, Texas, USA.<p>BTW, my son wants a BMW 1200 with AC and reverse - is that a car?<p>

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Welcome to the Maine Chapter (gdill2)

Good to hear from you George!<p>Yes - retired about 2 years ago. Sold the house in VA in October and moved to Maine. On the coast. We have 20 A with about 2600' of salt water frontage and deep water access. We are building a place, but it isn't ready, so we bought an old (1850s) farmhouse with attached 2 story barn on 1 A about 1/4 mile up the street from our property. Spending most of my time doing some renovating here at the moment - new farmer's porch on the front (enclosed), complete rebuild of the barn (it wasn't far from falling down), and probably some new hardwood floors. Have a tractor (Kubota) with a big ass snow blower that didn't see much service this winter, backhoe, etc.<p>I have been laying low for a couple of years while I was moving, etc.<p>Bought a new 04 V70R and just ordered rotors, BSR chip kit and exhaust system from Frank Dirks up in Ontario. Have a 74 164E for round town driving - fits in well here - and a 68 122S in the woods! I live about 5 minutes away from the Owls Head Transportation Museum just outside of Rockland,. ME<p>LSM is the last name initials of the original 7 founders of VCOA...<p>L = Duncan LaBay<br>S = Steve Seekins, Fran Stuart (Deceased), Roger Salls, Larry Schneider<br>M = Scott Matthews and Dagmar Matthews<p>Did I pass?<p>Which 1200? If it is that big highway cruiser, it might as well be a car - just a more expensive version of the big Hondas and Suzukis. Whern they get that big, they need reverse - otherwise you never get them out of a sloped parking spot! I will stick with my K1100 - it still handles like a motorcycle!<p>

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Re: Welcome to the Maine Chapter (OwlsInBog)

So good to know all is well on the coast of Maine.<p>My Houston brother-in-law was absolutely enthralled by the Owls Head museum and this from a Mopar Nut.<p>Yes, a BMW highway cruiser bike with all the bells and whistles. If I did this it would have a sidecar.<p>About ten years back my wife and I enjoyed a summer week with a Maine family on a private island with underground ice storage (cut in winter). Cool.<p>What are your plans for the Sep 2006 VCOA Lake Placid Event?<p>Hugs to your special person.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Welcome to the Maine Chapter (gdill2)

I should be there. The meet will be sandwiched between two dog shows here in Maine. We have Scottish Deerhounds that we show. Two right now, though it looks like we will get another one at the end of this month from Vermont (3 year old spayed bitch that we are 'rescuing'. I don't know if we will keep her or just provide a temp home until we can place her elsewhere).<p>I like the museum - it has been the location of our annual Maine Chapter meet for several years, though last year we were rained out - only 3 Volvos showed up - mine and two from Alan Prosser of Alan Auto in Portland. We had over 6 inches of rain that day!<p>If I have time once things settle down here, I may do some volunteer work in the restoraton shops there.<p>Fall is a great time to visit here - after a killing frost to get rid fo the mosquitos - cool nights and warm sunny days - and most of the Summah Complaints have left.<p>Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: Boston summer picnic & Dog show inquiry

Hi,<p>Will you be at dog show this weekend in acton? I show and breed American Staffordshire Terriers. I will be helping out with my moms dogs this Sat in ME ( 8AM group ). I wanted to post about the Boston chapper summer picnic. My 210 is finnally on the road again!!!!!!<p> FYI <br>  <br> It is never too early to start planning.......... <br>  <br> The Boston Chapter Volvo Club Summer Picnic will Again be held in Ipswich MA. The date is Aug 12 ( rain date Aug 13 ). Event to be held 11-4. Beverages, burgers and hot dogs will be available. Feel free to bring a "to share" dish to add to the selection. A $10 donation is requested to cover food and porta potty rental. New and old cars welcome ! Parts vending / swapping encouraged. <br>  <br> Please RSVP for head count   <br>  <br> 978-356-1644 or <br> [email protected] <br>  <br> Hope to see you there <br> Holly <br>  <br>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts