SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my motor rebuilt on my 850R 5 years ago by RSI in Portland Oregon and my #3 piston skirt has cracked somehow and now I've taken the motor out for repair..I found a guy named Jason near where I live that seems capable of handling the repair.. I did get 5 years of spirited driving out of my rebuild but still very disappointing as I was not prepared for such expense. I'm hoping I can use my forged rods and go back to OEM pistons..I don't know yet how much the block will need to be bored out. Jason informed me I may have to get another block if I am going to use stock pistons. I'd rather do that than buy more Weisco pistons that could fail again. Just thought I would share my dilemma. I will post more pics when the motor gets torn down. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volvo cars Sedan

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Weisco pistons have cracked on a few builds now to date. Seems the oem ones are a bit more robust than initially imagined. If your bore is still 81 or 83mm you should be fine swapping stock t5 or R pistons with your upgrades rods.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Weisco pistons have cracked on a few builds now to date. Seems the oem ones are a bit more robust than initially imagined. If your bore is still 81 or 83mm you should be fine swapping stock t5 or R pistons with your upgrades rods.
To be fair, there are far more builds done with Wiseco pistons that have not had issues, so I’d be cautious about sweeping generalizations. You made a comment in another thread about “oiling issues and knock” in B5244T5 engines which I also thought might have been a bit broad. You have so much knowledge and experience with Volvos that your opinion carries weight on this forum, all the more reason to be prudent with how you opine on such matters. This is how incorrect information and exaggeration of isolated occurrences becomes gospel and can impact how members of the enthusiast community approach repair decisions.

In this case, the OP provides little to no factual detail about the other aspects of the build, the tune, nor the circumstances that led to the ultimate problem. No photographs, no data, just conjecture.

I know you’re (as always) just trying to help and impart some of your ample knowledge and experience, but I’d encourage you to be less flippant and definitive with such declarations.

·
Registered
455 Posts
^^ Agree on both

Have seen both stock Mahle and aftermarket Wiseco's or JE fail. All under different circustances.

Have to admit though that over here we stopped using aftermarket pistons if we don't have to.
Stock pistons have proven to withstand +500hp without any issues in numerous of our builds and dozens of others in the past decade.

Cant conclude anything without additional info, stock or aftermarket, neither should be bad.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
To be fair, there are far more builds done with Wiseco pistons that have not had issues, so I’d be cautious about sweeping generalizations. You made a comment in another thread about “oiling issues and knock” in B5244T5 engines which I also thought might have been a bit broad. You have so much knowledge and experience with Volvos that your opinion carries weight on this forum, all the more reason to be prudent with how you opine on such matters. This is how incorrect information and exaggeration of isolated occurrences becomes gospel and can impact how members of the enthusiast community approach repair decisions.

In this case, the OP provides little to no factual detail about the other aspects of the build, the tune, nor the circumstances that led to the ultimate problem. No photographs, no data, just conjecture.

I know you’re (as always) just trying to help and impart some of your ample knowledge and experience, but I’d encourage you to be less flippant and definitive with such declarations.
We're at 37 cases of b5244t5 motors in their original cars having developed knock due to oiling issues. The actual hypothesis on that is the original ownership pool of those vehicles seems to be people that weren't necessarily the most maintenance minded. Generally given the choice between a 05+ T5 and a R the more enthusiast minded crowd took the R for various reasons, not the T5s. The opposite of this scenario is what makes p80 c70 convertibles such good parts cars despite generally having low miles. They were expensive as hell when new, most are on owner 1-2 and sit for half the year, then get driven a lot. B5234t9s from 03-04 verts don't seem to have overly common failures besides compromised cooling system causing head gasket failure and head warp but that's kryptonite for all whiteblocks anyway.
One ends up playing detective to try and deduce why things go wrong and what makes other things go right or be special. I work on large hydroelectric turbines from various manufacturers around the world so when analyzing failures all avenues are considered and coincidences are very suspect. That logic applies to working with volvos but then again sample size may make it less of an educated guess and more a blind shot from the hip without serious data and investigation to back it up.

TLDR:

Problem may not initially be what it seems or caused as such

·
Registered
17,034 Posts

Uh having been driving my S60 when the B5244T5 in it developed knock, I can tell you the sequence of events leading up to that occurrence supports the conclusion. We went through several iterations of the hypothesis before arriving at something that made sense. Pretty sure the oil pressure light going on when you go around a corner and then getting 2 quarts of oil out when you drain it means there is an oil issue. Oh yeah that was something ridiculous like 3000 miles short of the next oil change due date too.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Uh having been driving my S60 when the B5244T5 in it developed knock, I can tell you the sequence of events leading up to that occurrence supports the conclusion. We went through several iterations of the hypothesis before arriving at something that made sense. Pretty sure the oil pressure light going on when you go around a corner and then getting 2 quarts of oil out when you drain it means there is an oil issue. Oh yeah that was something ridiculous like 3000 miles short of the next oil change due date too.

So this means all B5244T5 engines are bound to be afflicted by the same issue? I’ve had two separate B244T5 engines in my ‘98 V70R dating back to 2013, both from junkyards and both beat on by me- I have not run into this issue.

I just think sweeping generalizations based on rather isolated occurrences (35 engines out of how many thousands worldwide??) is irresponsible.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
So this means all B5244T5 engines are bound to be afflicted by the same issue? I’ve had two separate B244T5 engines in my ‘98 V70R dating back to 2013, both from junkyards and both beat on by me- I have not run into this issue.

I just think sweeping generalizations based on rather isolated occurrences (35 engines out of how many thousands worldwide??) is irresponsible.
35 out of 66

·
Registered
511 Posts
35 out of 66
The B5244T5 was used in S60 t5 models from 2005-2009, and in (albeit) limited numbers for V70 T5 from ‘05-‘07... there were substantially more than 66. I’m not following.

I’m also not interested in arguing; I just plain disagree with you on this.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
The B5244T5 was used in S60 t5 models from 2005-2009, and in (albeit) limited numbers for V70 T5 from ‘05-‘07... there were substantially more than 66. I’m not following.

I’m also not interested in arguing; I just plain disagree with you on this.
66 manual 07s. Those compiled failures are all from that sample group.

Again I don't think it's the architecture it's the ownership.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Swapped a B5244T5 in my car, but before running it I checked and replaced rings in the oil pan because its a known problem.

Have one case of rod knock in my group.

If you take care of these engines the right way this shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is all great discussion, unfortunately at the expense of the failure outlined in the OP. Pictures and more information would be interesting and illuminating.

I’m curious about this oil issue pertinent to the B5244T5 that is being raised here. I don’t want to hijack the thread, so I’ll keep it brief. I was under the impression that the K24 turbo that was coupled to this engine on the T5’s lost more oil than other turbos (I keep a quart or two in my 05 SR), and that the lack of a low oil level indicator in the oil pan lead to people running less than optimum oil levels for somewhat prolonged period of time. Is this the issue you’re referring to?
I ask because I just picked up a B5244T5 that I plan on putting in my 850R and want to make sure I know some of the pitfalls before financially committing to the project.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
17,034 Posts
This is all great discussion, unfortunately at the expense of the failure outlined in the OP. Pictures and more information would be interesting and illuminating.

I’m curious about this oil issue pertinent to the B5244T5 that is being raised here. I don’t want to hijack the thread, so I’ll keep it brief. I was under the impression that the K24 turbo that was coupled to this engine on the T5’s lost more oil than other turbos (I keep a quart or two in my 05 SR), and that the lack of a low oil level indicator in the oil pan lead to people running less than optimum oil levels for somewhat prolonged period of time. Is this the issue you’re referring to?
I ask because I just picked up a B5244T5 that I plan on putting in my 850R and want to make sure I know some of the pitfalls before financially committing to the project.

Thanks all!

That is one of the leading hypotheses right now. It seems to make sense, coupled with Volvo running 5w30. Things seem much better on Castrol 0w40.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts