SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Im a new guy to this forum. I have a rough starting problem with my '96 850 turbo. Occasionally on cold mornings, it starts but it's definately not running on all five cylinders; but after thirty seconds or a minute or so, it smooths out...Any ideas? Faulty injector? Air pump failure?
I appreciate your help, I know this is a pretty technical question but thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Re: weird starting (volvolove)

I think the majority of these kind of problems on 850s sounds like the Mass Airflow sensor is usually the culprit. Which is good because it isn't a hard fix.
Let's see what others say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: weird starting (Spearzy)

yes lets see what others have to say. Someone said it could be the air pump running improperly, like not running for the two minutes it is programed to during the first two minutes of run time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: weird starting (mpeng168)

Interesting....I thought mass airflow sensors were an all go--or no go item; how could it be intermittent? Also, the repair that volvo called for on the mass airflow connector has been complied with, by checking the plug and applying dielectric grease inside to keep things clean and contacting in there. Besides, if my MAF was inoperative, then the vehicle would be running on the preset running parameters for cold operation which probably wouldn't cause rough running/misfiring I wouldn't think. I would also suspect that the computer would throw a check engine light if this were the situation.
Any other ideas? Am I right or wrong?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Re: weird starting (volvolove)

basically the ecu doesn't know what's coming to the engine so it can't adjust the gas or timing or whatever accordingly. So usually it's super-rough, black exhaust, and can barely keep idle from a cold start. what you suggest about the present running parameters seems logical, but it doesn't seem to happen. we did get the check engine light because of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.