SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my car for 6.5 years now. Wow, I can't believe it's been that long... lol
Anyway, I've been more and more bothered by the windshield weird pattern like marks that you get when it gets old. It really is hard to explain but I'm guessing modern windshield have some kind of coating to them. I don't see it all the time but when it rains you can see it more so.

My wife has the same issue with her 1998 Mercury.

Is there anything to restore windshield clarity? Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Like road rash, but more so just with the glass? It's not just a Volvo thing... I too, have noticed this more and more recently with other brands.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Mine look like they have water drop marks all over. Not to mention my weather striping has gone to crap

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope someone has a possible suggestion to make it better. It would be so nice to have it back in better condition!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
How about a new windshield? :p

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How about a new windshield? :p
I'd rather not . . . ;)

btw: does anyone know if there is in fact a coating on the windshield or is it just plain glass.
If it's plain glass it's probably just a matter of cleaning but if there some sort of coating that makes it a bit trickier...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well, auto glass is two layers thick with a plastic layer between the two layers of glass. The purpose of the inner plastic layer is to keep the glass from shattering and spraying glass shards all over. My windshiled cracked a couple yrs ago from a very small rock chip real close to the edge of the glass. You can feel the crack on the outside but not the inside.

I suspect what your seeing in the windshield is between the two layers.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, auto glass is two layers thick with a plastic layer between the two layers of glass. The purpose of the inner plastic layer is to keep the glass from shattering and spraying glass shards all over. My windshiled cracked a couple yrs ago from a very small rock chip real close to the edge of the glass. You can feel the crack on the outside but not the inside.

I suspect what your seeing in the windshield is between the two layers.
Yes, I know what safety glass is.if that's what it is there is nothing I can do and that's a shame :(

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Safety-Light does an OK Job - Glass Wind Shields just aren't what they use to be . The Hardness is Gone ( Toughness ) .

Usually pitted up , If You have Glass coverage and go to a Glass Shop - they will - ( Write It ) - and say to Visibility .

I have had 2 replaced on other Vehicles due to this around 130,000 miles or so . The Volvo is holding up pretty good , but only 54,000 .

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
There is no coating on the glass. It can be polished successfully much like a headlamp restoration. Very common with restorations where original glass is impossible to find. I'm all for keeping the original windshield as long as you can. Here's one of the higher rated kits. I have a huge jar of compound that will last a lifetime, too bad you don't live close by. Follow the directions exactly. It's way too easy to end up with swirl marks if you don't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts