SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parked in my garage with “20 miles left” on gauge. Woke up and went to tax guy (about 8 miles) and along the way (on interstate) noticed it now said “0 miles left”. What happened there? Need to buy gas. Suddenly, engine shuts off (65mph) and red light appears on dash. Then it restarts after 2 secs and I proceed (shakily) 2 miles to nearest gas station. Put 14.45 gals in tank (14.3 gals capacity). Other than the cutout and red light no engine missing or sign of impending out of gas symptoms. Does this thing have some sort of “nanny” warning to tell you “HEY MORON PUT SOME GAS IN!”. Not much margin of error in any case.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I see "20 miles to empty tank" I read it as: "Get your ass to a gas station you moron."

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gas usage will vary wildly based on speed, acceleration, etc.
If you did a lot of start and stop, you likely consumed more gas than a non stop "20 miles at 45 mph".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Xterra allows me 30-40 miles when it’s shows 0 left. My KTM m/c goes 50 when it shows 0. My xc40 is 0 when it shows 20. Nice feature. I travel in remote areas where gas mgmt is a issue at times.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Parked in my garage with “20 miles left” on gauge. Woke up and went to tax guy (about 8 miles) and along the way (on interstate) noticed it now said “0 miles left”. What happened there? Need to buy gas. Suddenly, engine shuts off (65mph) and red light appears on dash. Then it restarts after 2 secs and I proceed (shakily) 2 miles to nearest gas station. Put 14.45 gals in tank (14.3 gals capacity). Other than the cutout and red light no engine missing or sign of impending out of gas symptoms. Does this thing have some sort of “nanny” warning to tell you “HEY MORON PUT SOME GAS IN!”. Not much margin of error in any case.
You are not the first one. There were reports in 2016 on XC90.
Not sure why they don't want to be a little tolerant while the miles to empty is always not accurate thing in reality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You're complaining that the gauge is...too accurate?? I get warnings starting at 50-60 miles left on the tank. Like others have said, the calculation will depend on multiple driving conditions. So if you go from driving steady on a highway to getting caught at a bunch of red lights it's going to take a big dip quickly, shouldn't be any surprises there.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
My S60 usually flips on a warning at around 75 miles and 50 miles and then nannies me to fill up until I do. Right now I have 500 miles on the tank and about "80 miles left". Just got back from 475 miles of highway driving in eco mode. Car kicks butt on highway + eco. I've gotten close to 600 before. However, I will NEVER push it to 10 or 20 miles....I'd rather not chance running out of gas...

Not sure why you would risk it with such a nice shiny toy. Clearly, if you can afford an XC40, then filling her up shouldn't be an issue? Or was it I want to see how many miles I can do before it runs out scenario?

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
My question is why were you going to the tax guy so early, it's not due until 4/15.
Because CPA's are busy this time of year with last minute filers, so I presume OP had an appointment when the CPA could get him in??? Waiting until April 15, and then requesting an extension, is poor planning on people's part.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Because CPA's are busy this time of year with last minute filers, so I presume OP had an appointment when the CPA could get him in??? Waiting until April 15, and then requesting an extension, is poor planning on people's part.
I was trying to make a dumb joke; he runs mileage warning to 0 miles so I was implying why do taxes early, when in fact it is not early to do them - never mind, if you have to explain a joke it is not funny. Sorry to offend CPA's, who are busting their butts this time of year.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I was trying to make a dumb joke; he runs mileage warning to 0 miles so I was implying why do taxes early, when in fact it is not early to do them - never mind, if you have to explain a joke it is not funny. Sorry to offend CPA's, who are busting their butts this time of year.
A better joke would be the OP is clearly not a CPA. He can't run the numbers and figure out the differential between 0 and 20!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts