1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Saw this long-term test about the M3 which reminded me of a thread I didn't want to bump about how a $50,000 Volvo also shouldn't have noises like these.

Thought I would share the link.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-bmw-m3-manual-long-term-test-review
Not sure this is a fair comparison. As some of the comments in that article indicate, it's not realistic to expect the M3 to be quiet and comfortable for every day use.
I rode in a 2009 MB C300 today and it felt very solid with zero creaks and rattles.
Maybe it's too much to expect that from newer cars with all the weight saving materials they use.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Ssshhhhhhhh! You know what happens if you hint at that thread! :)

The way cars are produced today, Im not surprised. I would expect an M3 to be "designed" to be rattle free even with the stiffer suspension.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah, but it's an M3. An M3 isn't just a powerful compact sport sedan. It's a really powerful compact sport sedan designed to turn in solid track times for the sake of attracting buyers who wrongly think that its getting around Dunsfold Aerodrome quickly with a pro driver at the wheel will have any bearing to their day-to-day lives. I think I could forgive it for brakes that squeak when cold and a suspension that doesn't soak up northeastern pot holes or a transmission that's clunky in stop-and-go traffic because my daily grind is the wrong damn place to enjoy that car. Ideally you should be moving fast enough with the engine at high enough RPM that you either can't hear or don't have time to notice that it's making a few mechanical noises that wouldn't be present if you were driving an ES350. I prefer to think of it as BMW's ///M engineers having a laugh at the expense of the new hedge fund managers who buy these things for the sole purpose of posting the badge on their instagram feeds instead of the enthusiasts who would probably really enjoy them. (I would be wrong but I've made my peace with that.)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Yeah, but it's an M3. An M3 isn't just a powerful compact sport sedan. It's a really powerful compact sport sedan designed to turn in solid track times for the sake of attracting buyers who wrongly think that its getting around Dunsfold Aerodrome quickly with a pro driver at the wheel will have any bearing to their day-to-day lives. I think I could forgive it for brakes that squeak when cold and a suspension that doesn't soak up northeastern pot holes or a transmission that's clunky in stop-and-go traffic because my daily grind is the wrong damn place to enjoy that car. Ideally you should be moving fast enough with the engine at high enough RPM that you either can't hear or don't have time to notice that it's making a few mechanical noises that wouldn't be present if you were driving an ES350. I prefer to think of it as BMW's ///M engineers having a laugh at the expense of the new hedge fund managers who buy these things for the sole purpose of posting the badge on their instagram feeds instead of the enthusiasts who would probably really enjoy them. (I would be wrong but I've made my peace with that.)
Your not wrong. I routinely get angry at people driving like little old ladys in high performance sports cars.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Saw this long-term test about the M3 which reminded me of a thread I didn't want to bump about how a $50,000 Volvo also shouldn't have noises like these.
To be fair, the noises described in this review are not the same types of noises. The noises in the spawn of satan thread are due to inexpensive plastics and poor assembly. BMW's suffer from these noises as well which is disappointing. I do think the Europeans need to study the assembly techniques of the Japanese and Koreans because they seem to excel where the Europeans fail. Working in favor of the Europeans is that their cars have heart and soul.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The noises in the spawn of satan thread are due to inexpensive plastics and poor assembly.
I don't think inexpensive plastics plays a role at all. My car has the exact same plastics, is 5 years old, has no creaks, rattles or buzzes. I think it has more to do with assembly and use. I'm usually the only one in my S60 and treat it very well. I don't have kids kicking the doors or hanging on the seat backs. Our Japanese Lexus on the other hand had 2 very loud annoying dashboard buzzes and a squeaky creaky drivers seat that reared it's ugly head on every turn but didn't go b****ing about on the Lexus forums. But to be fair it did bring Lexus down a few notches in our minds. With the shear number of parts involved in the interior alone on modern cars I'm extremely impressed they are as quiet as they are.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't think inexpensive plastics plays a role at all.
The plastics that seem to be the source of the problems in the V60 are lighter weight than anything in my 2001 Nissan Frontier and my dear departed 2009 VW Jetta. I would also say that applies to other vehicles I've owned as well. They're smooth, lightweight, prone to shifting and causing noise. It may not be a problem if felt tape were applied at seams and joins but that does not appear to be the case.

but didn't go b****ing about on the Lexus forums
Where else should problems be discussed if not a forum dedicated to the vehicle or manufacturer? The man has a valid complaint about his car. I don't know why this upsets people so much. It's not a personal attack on your purchase decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts